.38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers?

This is a discussion on .38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering...I've been carrying shot shell in the first 2 chambers of my Det Special...the other 4 are loaded with 158g Nyclad HP...and I got ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers?

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

.38 Shotshell in first 2 chambers?

Just wondering...I've been carrying shot shell in the first 2 chambers of my Det Special...the other 4 are loaded with 158g Nyclad HP...and I got 6 more in a speed loader....Am I thinking wrong about the shot shell? God forbid I have to use the firearm...2 shot go off quick in case I need the third...shot close up takes care of many critters, both 4 and 2 legged....thoughts?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Birdshot - particularly tiny loads of birdshot in a pistol cartridge - is for little birds and small critters.

It lacks the penetration to reach the vital organs and stop an assailant, and you're taking a big, unnecessary risk betting that you'll have time to get the first two shots off to get to the "real" self defense ammo, IMHO.

You already know the answer here, that the shotshells aren't going to stop an assailant. That's why you loaded the remaining 4 with JHP.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Birdshot - particularly tiny loads of birdshot in a pistol cartridge - is for little birds and small critters.

It lacks the penetration to reach the vital organs and stop an assailant, and you're taking a big, unnecessary risk betting that you'll have time to get the first two shots off to get to the "real" self defense ammo, IMHO.

You already know the answer here, that the shotshells aren't going to stop an assailant. That's why you loaded the remaining 4 with JHP.

Matt
    Agreed.

Unless you've got a snake problem in your area, it makes no sense at all.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

All the shotshell will do to a perp is make him mad. If you have to fire your weapon, you need to use a load that you can reasonably expect to stop the actor. Remember - at this point, you're defending your life. Halfway measures just won't do.

If that gun will take +p, load 5 rounds of Hornady Extreme Defense, Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, or Corbon DPX.

Save the shotshell for rats at the dump or maybe sheet-shooting dragonflies at the lake.

My thinking on the 2 legged animal was....was really that I'd blind them...maybe a sad thing to think about but, I thought a shot anywhere near the face or head would definitely make BG think about where he went wrong in life...maybe a hug from mom that he never got?
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    My thinking on the 2 legged animal was....was really that I'd blind them...maybe a sad thing to think about but, I thought a shot anywhere near the face or head would definitely make BG think about where he went wrong in life...maybe a hug from mom that he never got?
    You're gambling that you'll be up against an opponent capable of introspection at such a moment.

Personally, I wouldn't wager my life on that; you are free to do what you choose.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Can you make a face shot FAST - under extreme stress? And if it doesn't completely blind him, that then? You have to fire two rounds of shot before you get to the more effective JHPs. You're talking about precious seconds you might not have.

You might need a different mind set before you carry ANY weapon. Think about it - you're shooting to SAVE YOUR LIFE! The BG wants to KILL YOU! Stop worrying about him. He chose that route and takes the consequences of his actions. I am shooting to stop him. Several shots COM will usually do that effectively. Yup, I said "several" because I'm probably gonna pull more than once at the first encounter. He's trying to kill me and I want him to stop. I don't shoot to kill, but let's face it. Dead is a SURE stop. I'm not going to try and wound him or save his life to leave him possibly able to continue or resume his attack at some point. As Ron White said, "If you kill us, we will kill you back."

As a practical legal side note...Frankly, I want only my side of the story told in subsequent investigations.

Cruel? Maybe. Cold? Absolutely. Me alive? Yes. That's the bottom line.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    A couple things.

First, if you ever told the police following a shooting that your intent was to blind the assailant, you'd probably be talking yourself into a prison cell.

Second, let's assume for a moment you're at spitting distance from an armed assailant (which you'd have to be for the shot to do much of anything). Can he stab you while he can't see? Grab you with one hand, stick his gun against your body with the other and shoot you to death?

Of course he can.

Bad guys get to make plans too, and they get a vote on how your plan turns out. Why make it that much easier for him to execute his plan?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I used .22 shot shells to take down snakes but anything bigger then a squirrel and the shot shell is not effective at all. pistol caliber shot shells are not designed for self defense. Period.

The smallest proven SD shot shell is a .410 and even then it still doesn't have the punch of a .45LC which isn't saying much.

YMMV
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Moderator
    For what it's worth, the Box OTruth tested some handgun shot shells:

The Box O' Truth #30 - Snakeloads O' Truth - Page 1

Matt

I shoot several hundred rounds of shotshell per year. At 10 yards it is not even very effective on mice and rats. A bb gun is more effective at ten yards for mice and rats. I don't think a round that is less effective than a bb gun makes a good SD round.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    For what it's worth, the Box OTruth tested some handgun shot shells:

The Box O' Truth #30 - Snakeloads O' Truth - Page 1

Matt
    Thanks...just thought a pattern at 10 feet was more likely to 'confuse' them and allow time to rethink....if you know what I mean....thanks everyone for all the input. Hopefully, we'll never have to find out....
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I carry a stainless snubbie with three rounds of .38 shot shells and the remaining 2 with half jackets when I bass fish in shallow, weedy Florida lakes. I see snakes all the time and several have tried to climb into my boat. I haven't fired on any yet as I would rather move along than kill a misdirected snake. There have been occasions when an aggressive gator got a little too interested for comfort, hence the half-jackets. But I agree, no shot shells for 2-legged pests.

I've been known to keep a shotshell in the cylinder occasionally....if I'm hiking in the desert and likely to come upon a snake. For defensive use, no way.

Shot shells out of a Detective Special do not do much good on snakes either, I used to carry one when logging in a national forest... had to shoot several copperheads multiple times to get them dead... Stick to HPs. The shotshell rounds are over priced and might as well be classed as not effective.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links