Glock 23 Round

Glock 23 Round

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a G23. Are their any issues with putting certain rounds through it. if i recall the last ones i used were 180 ...

Thread: Glock 23 Round

Glock 23 Round

I just bought a G23. Are their any issues with putting certain rounds through it. if i recall the last ones i used were 180 grain. Any grains i should avoid?

Also, I'm going backpacking soon. The area I'm going to has had boars move in. Any rounds that would take care of any problems there?

Mic
    Standard comercial rounds should be fine, don't know of any problems with the G23

A good HP SD round should do ok for the boars.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

nope. i ran everything through mine i used both 165 grain golden sabres and 180 grain Remington JHP with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Standard comercial rounds should be fine, don't know of any problems with the G23

A good HP SD round should do ok for the boars.
    As previously stated. The span of bullet weights available in the 40S&W for PD purposes are not as extreme as for other calibers for good reasons I do believe. 180gr or 165gr are the norms. Compare what's available in the 9mm and 45acp and what they span. I'm thinking that the 40S&W is darned near the perfect caliber for defensive work actually. Most range ammo is available in 180gr...the PD ammo seems to be either or 165/180gr. I've seen some lighter loadings available, but don't really see a need. With a mere gap of 15grs this should tell the better ballistics of the caliber compared to spans in the 9mm which run to an average of 30gr (117-147gr) for the caliber, or the 45acp which span an average 45gr (185-230gr) for the caliber. I'm just sayin', and letting on as to why the 40S&W is my favorite caliber and my EDC no matter what the polls say.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I just bought a G23. Are their any issues with putting certain rounds through it. if i recall the last ones i used were 180 grain. Any grains i should avoid?
    Also, I'm going backpacking soon. The area I'm going to has had boars move in. Any rounds that would take care of any problems there?
    You asked, and I hope this helps. Actually, I hope this helps more folks who might be involved in a debate between the 40S&W and something else.

165 gr is supposed to be a better man-stopper, though 180 is certainly still a good round. Don't know about killing wild boar though, I guess I would go with whatever has the best penetration if that was my goal.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    FedGov issues 155gr Federal rounds. It has noticeable recoil over the same make 180 gr. I have a bunch left over and it shoots fine in my Glock 23.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    165 gr is supposed to be a better man-stopper, though 180 is certainly still a good round. Don't know about killing wild boar though, I guess I would go with whatever has the best penetration if that was my goal.
    I don't actually know or have experience with the wild boars myself, but from word of mouth around these parts (and some friends that do), .357mag, 44mag, and 7.62x36 do the job well. One of these days I'll take my stab at it. I've wanted to in the past, and I will someday. I hear they are good eatin' when done right. I look forward to the day.

The only rounds not to use are lead. The polygonal rifling fills up quick with lead. This raises the pressure on the following rounds which could cause a catastrophic failure. Otherwise they all work fine.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

CMR
    I prefer a heavier bullet in my SD guns so for my .40 S&W's, I use 180gr stuff like Gold Dots, Ranger- T, and HST.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

theyllallkillyadeaderthandead!

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    theyllallkillyadeaderthandead!
    Ifyoudoyourpart
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by isme View Post
    The only rounds not to use are lead. The polygonal rifling fills up quick with lead. This raises the pressure on the following rounds which could cause a catastrophic failure. Otherwise they all work fine.
    If you read "The GLOCK in Competition", chapter 4, he gives an excellent and accurate explanation of the "kaboom" issue. While yours is the common wisdom, it is not the correct cause. It has nothing to do with polygonal rifling.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I personally...like the 180 gr GD. The 165s are also an awesome round. You should be fine with any name brand well made HP SD round.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sponsored Links