New gun for my sis

This is a discussion on New gun for my sis within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd go with the #1 buck in a low recoil load if you can find it. 00 is good, but from what I understand it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New gun for my sis

I'd go with the #1 buck in a low recoil load if you can find it. 00 is good, but from what I understand it can over penetrate a bit, which is less of a problem with #1. Therefore, you'd get better energy transfer in the #1 buck. Just my 2 cents. I would not go with the pistol grip and the hope that she can aim in the dark shooting from the hip though. Better to use the stock, treat it like a rifle, and shoot accordingly.

2. Remove Ads

I perhaps have a different opinion than most here, I would go with 0000 Buck. #4 buck has a larger number of pellets and has plenty of energy to stop the most violent attacker. Following is a bit of a description that should be looked at for appropriate loads.

Selection of best ammunition for a defensive shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
    ...as a novice...reccomend she has a stock...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No slugs, just 00-Buck...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    ...Buy some of both and go out with her to shoot some. She's got to get used to the shotgun...
    Most important.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member
    How is she going to keep it (safety on or off, racked, etc etc) and are there kids in the mix that affect that decision?

If there is any way you can find a hd shotgun class near her, sign her up. It was SUPER SUPER fun and gave me a lot of confidence for continued practice and handling of the shotgun.

Good luck. There should be a nonprofit foundation somewhere to help arm and train women who are victims of domestic violence and have little experience with firearms. Good on you for helping her.

That's a great idea..

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    There should be a nonprofit foundation somewhere to help arm and train women who are victims of domestic violence and have little experience with firearms. Good on you for helping her.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
    Recoil won't really be an issue after the second time she pulls the trigger. 3inch 00 is the load I would run.... or slugs. That way, she can pull the trigger once (and YES, it WILL hurt her hand/arm/shoulder) and the BG goes down quick. I'd rather have a sore arm and be alive.
    agree with all but these 2 words...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Are 3" shells really giving that much more knock down power over a 2 3/4? I know there is a higher pellet count, but does the additional recoil and a reduced round count justify it? I have always thought that a 2 3/4 of 00 buck was plenty of knock down power.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Well first off I would like to say nice purchase... (I too just bought a Mossberg 500 pump 12ga)

No slugs... get a white light and possibly a laser to attach to the end.. I have a pistol grip on mine that way i can turn corners and keep it closer to my persons rather than using a stock... I'm not a trained SWAT person and i don't think your sister is either that's why i don't have a stock on mine..

As for kick a pistol grip at the end and/or a $25 pistol grip on the forgrip kick won't be a factor... I'm actual going to put a small strap on my forgrip to slip my hand in for faster racking of the slide. Good luck!!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

How is she going to keep it (safety on or off, racked, etc etc) and are there kids in the mix that affect that decision?

If there is any way you can find a hd shotgun class near her, sign her up. It was SUPER SUPER fun and gave me a lot of confidence for continued practice and handling of the shotgun.

Good luck. There should be a nonprofit foundation somewhere to help arm and train women who are victims of domestic violence and have little experience with firearms. Good on you for helping her.
    will be 4 in the tube, no safety and my 13yr old neice who already knows about gun safety as per going to the range with me. Will look into the Class that is a good idea didnt even think about that. And as for helping her Thats a No Brainer Thats My Sis!!!
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Very good idea, reminds me of what the NRA did for the blacks during the 1960 time of night riders. Once my daughter gets set up with her CCW in AR, I will suggest that she get involved in such an idea. The idea seems so good that you would think that it would have been utilized before this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links