New gun for my sis

This is a discussion on New gun for my sis within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here is what I did......Long story short Sis got out of an abusive relationship and we have moved her to No Where land. All ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gun for my sis

New gun for my sis

Ok here is what I did......Long story short Sis got out of an abusive relationship and we have moved her to No Where land. All this time thought she had a HD gun. Found out she did not so I went and got her one on my dime. Finally made the final payment on it today and no sooner then i left the store realized should have got he a 20g not a 12g.

So here is my question what would be a good load that will not give her to much recoil? Maybe like a #4 buck in a 2 1\4 shell??? Do they make that. And no bird shot he is a big dude 6'6" and prolly 250+.

Oh yeah it is a Mossberg 500.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

2. Remove Ads

Recoil won't really be an issue after the second time she pulls the trigger. 3inch 00 is the load I would run.... or slugs. That way, she can pull the trigger once (and YES, it WILL hurt her hand/arm/shoulder) and the BG goes down quick. I'd rather have a sore arm and be alive.
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Most definitely it is a pistol grip also so she can go from hip I think that is best. Got a long drive to go see her so will make a 5day weekend out of it and we will spend lots of time shooting so she knows what to expect.

Hope she never needs it but I will sleep better at night knowing she can take care of herself.

Personally, as a novice, I'd reccomend she has a stock. Makes aiming easier. The more aim she has, the less times she has to pull the trigger, the less stress in the situation etc.... THe more dead he is quicker!
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    So here is my question what would be a good load that will not give her to much recoil? Maybe like a #4 buck in a 2 1\4 shell??? Do they make that. And no bird shot he is a big dude 6'6" and prolly 250+.

Oh yeah it is a Mossberg 500.
    You know what they say about opinions...

But in my opinion, from across a room, most anything that comes out of a 12 gauge is going to end the conflict then & there. I keep #4 shot in my HD shotgun, figuring that it'll do the job just fine, without quite so much concern about penetrating multiple walls and endangering neighbors or passersby with buckshot.

Regards,
    Jim

The house is brick i have taken this into account. Only way anything finding its way out is through the window which is plausable but unlikely. and all neighbors also brick homes.

No slugs, just 00-Buck.

"Clean-up on isle-2"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Winchester low recoil 00 buck,9 pellets of whoop...,can be found at gun shows or online
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    2 1/4" #4 Buckshot- Good choice IMO...I've got a bit of that stuff myself. 00 Buck is good also.

Buy some of both and go out with her to shoot some. She's got to get used to the shotgun!

Good luck-

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    2 1/4" #4 Buckshot- Good choice IMO...I've got a bit of that stuff myself. 00 Buck is good also.

Buy some of both and go out with her to shoot some. She's got to get used to the shotgun!

Good luck-

Yeah i thought so and gonna try to find some of that low recoil 00buck never heard of that before.

And as always appreciate eveyones opinion

Use 00 buck in a low recoil load and at inside the house range it is very effect.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Winchester low recoil 00 buck,9 pellets of whoop...,can be found at gun shows or online
    Probably would be my choice. I would not even consider a 3". while the recoil might not be noticed in an emergency, one needs to practice. In addition, whether or not recoil was noticed it would slow down follow up shots if needed.

The lowest recoil buckshot loads available would be the best.

Regards,
    Jerry

yeah my thoughts where on secondary shots. and i don't want her to be afraid of it either. She used to go shooting with me so not completely foreign to the idea of shooting guns it has just been awhile.

Forget the three-inch loads... there's a reason why law enforcement and military don't use 'em. A couple more pellets in the payload, but a a price of significantly increased recoil.

Federal, Hornady and others currently offer low-recoil 00 buckshot in LE or Tactical loads... that and practice are what sis needs. If you can't find that, then any of the smaller 2-3/4" buckshot loads are good alternatives. You're correct to avoid birdshot.

If your sister is of average female stature, I would get a youth stock to retrofit to the Mossy, maybe with a pistol grip if you can find one.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The 3" rounds would reduce the overall # of shells you can keep loaded in the tube as well... 2 3/4 is the way to go. I personally load three rounds of #4 buck followed by four rounds of 00 buck in my M3. I would also fit that mossy with a stock as another has already suggested. I also agree with your original statement that a 20 gauge would have been a better buy for her.. no chance in swapping it out at the shop? Has it been fired yet? They may understand and let you exchange it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links