Mag-Tech Ammo

This is a discussion on Mag-Tech Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thankful to say that today, despite all the warnings, I fired 100 rounds of the Magna-Tech .45 acp with no problems. I picked ...

Thread: Mag-Tech Ammo

Mag-Tech Ammo

I am thankful to say that today, despite all the warnings, I fired 100 rounds of the Magna-Tech .45 acp with no problems.

I picked it up on sale and was worried after what I heard here but 0 problems, no ftf, no fte, no misfires, no problems and pretty accurate though it could have been better if I wasn't so nervous.

One more box to go then I'll switch anyhow to Fiochhi or S&B which seem to get good reviews here just to be safe rather than sorry. It's a shame though, it relly did fire, load and eject nicely.

If anyone hears of MT fixing their poss problems, please post, I did like it.

2. Remove Ads

The price of the MagTech ammo is very appealing. I have heard of to many problems with it such as squibs. I perfer to spend a little more per box for a bit of insurance.

Glad the MagTech has worked for you though.

I to would be interested to know if they have fixed there quality control issues.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

My IDPA club swears BY MagTech ammo because it consistently meets the minimum requirements for the power factor in competition. But it's not really inexpensive. OTOH I just got 500 rds of American Brand factory ammo (9mm) delivered to me for $69 total. That's a pretty good deal. I joined the Sportsman's Guide buyers club and this has been one of the benefits. I paid about $5.80 a box of 50. Bought 10 boxes. I'll only need about 150 for the state match.

I decided to switch to my Beretta M92 for my competition gun because it's much faster all around. It's a ready steady reliable bullet launcher, so maybe it'll help me out at the match. I shoot SSP category.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

When I first bought my xd 45acp I used magtec to break it in bought 200rd and didnt have a single problem fired all 200 before cleaning and didnt oil prior to breaking it in and I wasnt very dirty when I cleaned it after the 200rds. After the magtec i have been using wwb and fed and (yes I know)wolf. have over 3000rds threw mine and havnt had a single problem with any of the ammo I have used.
    The answer to "the voice in the dark", GET DOWN NOW!!(see avatar).
    The goal of an argument should not be victory, but progress.
    The chain of command? Is a 3/8" chain that I beat you with till you realize I'M IN COMMAND.

Assistant Administrator
    Only used MagTech .44 mag but that has always been good for me.

Now I have a boatload of extra cases it's time I got down to some reloading instead of being lazy! Must have over 500 .44 mag cases!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    Since I blew up my custom $3000 1911 using MagTech I'm very paranoid of them.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Since I blew up my custom $3000 1911 using MagTech I'm very paranoid of them.
    I heard that, that's why I was nervous.
    I forgot about it untill someone mentioned it and by then I had stocked up a few boxes.
    Did you ever get any closure on that issue yet?
    Just as I'll stay away from the ammo, I'll stay away from that brand of pistol also untill things are resolved.
    Just waiting for my security clearance to come back, start the new job and then I'm considering an upgrade from my Kimber, leaning toward the Ed Brown Special Forces though, less expensive than some of the others but from all I've heard, a great reputation.

VIP Member
    I've fired about 250 rounds of the stuff through my Kahr P45 and HK USP with no problems; but after hearing Acparmed's experience....I won't be firing any more of the stuff....just to be safe.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acp
    I heard that, that's why I was nervous.
    I forgot about it untill someone mentioned it and by then I had stocked up a few boxes.
    Did you ever get any closure on that issue yet?
    Just as I'll stay away from the ammo, I'll stay away from that brand of pistol also untill things are resolved.
    Just waiting for my security clearance to come back, start the new job and then I'm considering an upgrade from my Kimber, leaning toward the Ed Brown Special Forces though, less expensive than some of the others but from all I've heard, a great reputation.
    MagTech decided back in December to pay for the cost of a new top end for my RRA Custom 1911. They decided that the time spent arguing with me over what happened was costing them more than it would to just repair the gun. So to get me off their backs, that's just what they did.

After some help from forum members, Chuck Larsen at RRA finally got off his third point of contact and supposedly my gun is now at Metaloy Industries getting the new finish applied.

MagTech has a pretty good reputation but to be honest, I'm scared of it. In a 1000 round lot I had 3 misfires and the blow-up.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I am glad to hear that the issue is being resolved!

This has restored my faith in MagTec and having had no problems and actually liking their ammo, I will now continue to buy it.

I'm also VERY happy to hear that Forum members were able to assist you in getting this resolved.

Very nice gun BTW

Why Did It Blow Up ?

Question 3rd point of contact?

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed View Post
    Chuck Larsen at RRA finally got off his third point of contact....
    I thought in a good PLF (Parachute Landing Fall) the butt is the 4th point of contact...as in: that Lieutenant sure has his head stuffed up his FOURTH point of contact! Having been the screwey looie in question...I seem to remember it that way....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've had no problems at all with magtech, in fact I was given close to 300 rounds of loose in box JHP (actually Independance *I*) & consumer packed FMJ MagTech for free, all went bang...

FYI

CBC/Mag-Tech is in Brazil, they make brass for CCI/SPEER, Federal, Independance and a few others IIRC, check it out here: www.ATK.com

Links