115gr.+p corbon over the 147wichester sxt

This is a discussion on 115gr.+p corbon over the 147wichester sxt within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im buying some corbons to carry with, what are peoples thoughts.I use winchester silver points147 GR. and winchester 147GR. sxt now.I like the one shot ...

Im buying some corbons to carry with, what are peoples thoughts.I use winchester silver points147 GR. and winchester 147GR. sxt now.I like the one shot street reps on the proven corbon 115GR.+p load????FEEDBACK PLEASE!!!!I know this is a on going topic!!!

I carry Corbon DPX in my 9mm and .40 S&W carry pieces. Corbon's claims are fantastic and independent testing backs them up. The solid Barnes bullet petals rather than mushrooms and allows a lot of penetration from a lightweight round. It's expensive, though. I'll run a box through my piece for reliability, then shoot maybe a magazine a month, to keep myself used to the POA and recoil. Otherwise, I practice with 115 gr. "house" ammo. DPX shoots easy and accurately. I recommend it 100%.

I believe 147 is just too heavy in a 9mm, especially form a short barrel. The same momentum that supposedly allows deep penetration also prevents rapid acceleration. You just can't move that heavy round fast enough to get the full potential from it in a 3.5" or 3" barrel.

federal hst 147 grn 9mm jhp is the only round in that weight i would trust to penetrate and expand reliably.

i would choose the 115grn dpx over winchester 147grn...

The 115 +p Cor bon and the 147gr SXT are pretty different performance-wise. The 115gr Cor Bon is a lightly constructed JHP moving fast. It will expand, spin off fragments of lead and jacket and rapidly transfer energy to the target. It brings plenty of energy and can even expand a little when plugged with cloth or drywall.

The 147gr SXT, and to a lesser extent the Silvertip, are slow and bring less energy. Less energy to expand in soft target means more penetration, smaller expansion, and a slower transfer of energy. The Ranger SXT adds a bit of cutting to the wounding because of the sharp jacket. The non Ranger SXT (Same eXact Thing) omits the sharp jacket. The Silvertip is an early-generation load and stays pretty rounded around the edges. If I chose to use a 147, I imagine I'd prefer the Ranger SXT, the Gold Saber, or the HST.

Some people consider the fragmenting and rapid expansion and relatively shallow penetration of the Cor Bon to be poor performance. Some dislike the lower energy of the 147gr loads. As a paramedic, I don't mind the lower penetration of the +P and I'm good with the rapid energy dump and huge wounds of the +P. It's my HD load of choice and is in all the 9mms I carry +P in.

And while I like reading the Marshal and Sanow books, and I think there are some great lessons to be learned in them, I'm not exaclty convinced the " One Shot Stop" theory is accurate. I do pretty much understand that IF I can hit the A zone with a .25acp FMJ, I'm better off than if I miss with a .44mag. People have survived some massive wounds with powerful ammo, including multiple shots with that ammo, and people have been killed with .22 shorts and .25acp ball. And actually just about every load and combination of them I imagine.

The 115 +p Cor bon and the 147gr SXT are pretty different performance-wise.
    With all due respect, sir, some things ou state in your post just aren't true. Have you actually looked at ballistics reports of the Corbon DPX 115 gr. 9mm? I'll leave you to do your own research, as I have.

No fragmentation - spent bullet weight always within 1 grain (or less) of original weight

Penetration in excess of the FBI "Standard" of 12". Often much greater.

Expansion is awesome. The Barnes X bullet petals rather than mushrooms, allowing deep penetration even after passing through several layers of clothing.

Perhaps you're confusing the DPX with other Corbon 9mm rounds, which do not perform as well.

You ARE correct when you state the "one shot stop" theory is just that, theory. There is no such thing as a totally reliable "one shot stop" handgun round.

You are also correct when you infer that shot placement is everything.

Links