Defensive Carry banner

Recommend Ammo, PLEASE !!!!

4K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  GM 
#1 ·
I am getting a .45 ACP 1911 A1

I understand there are many many types of AMMO, however for practice/getting used to the gun, what ammo should I use, also I plan to keep a couple of mags at the ready with home/personal protection ammo, can any of you please guide me in the right direction.
Thanks

#2 ·
Try some of what ever you can get at a decent price. If it feeds and shoots well, you are good to go. I mostly try to see if there is ammo that I can eliminate for a particular gun.

#4 ·
Any US made 230 gr FMJ for the range. As for home defense, the FMJ ammo will work here too, though many here will tell you that you need a good hollow point cartridge. My suggestion is for you to first get comfortable with the pistol using FMJ ammo -- reliable functioning of the ammo, pistol and you is the most important consideration. Then, try some different types of hollow point defense loads at the range ensuring that they function flawlessly in your pistol before adopting them for defensive use. Stay away from the boutique ammo and use the good stuff from the major american manufacturers. Also, get the most from your .45's capability by using 230 grain and avoiding lighter bullets.

#15 ·
Big DITTO! I wouldn't rule out quality 230gr HARDBALL for defensive purposes either. Like JHP's in my Colts but do NOT feel "under loaded" with good ol' FMJ! :smile:

#6 ·
#7 ·
WWB,PMC or the like for practice. 230gr Federal HST,Gold dot,Golden Saber, Winchester SXT for defense:bier:

#8 ·
for practice, anything that is cheap and your gun will shoot. buy a box or two of 50 rounds before buying a bulk pack to make sure it works. I like the winchester white box.
for at home, since its a 45, fmj might be ok, but i still highly prefer a hollow point made for defence. they cost a ton more, but your life is worth more.
I prefer gold dot.
Make sure you shoot your defence ammo at the range some too though. Make sure it feeds and fires fine and you are used to it.

#9 ·
Thank you so much guys, it has been so long (use to own every glock and a SIG p228) that I had to sell due to well financial reasons, but I never owned a .45 much less a 1911 (gorgeous gun) so I need as much info/recommendations as possible.

Again thank you so very much

#10 ·
Go with any quality ball ammo for practice then consider any of the following for carry.

Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by:

Cor-Bon (DPX45185)

Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)

Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)

Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)

Don't hesitate using a bullet that weighs less than 230 grains if it's solid copper...

#13 ·
That appears to be .45 ACP. Most ACP ammo is referenced to as either ACP or Auto (.45ACP, .45Auto) . Any other .45 caliber will not work in your gun (such as .45 Long Colt, etc.). The FMJ part just explains the type of bullet, not what caliber gun it's designed for. The main thing to remember is if you are unsure, ask the clerk and make sure. Never try to fire a cartridge that wasn't designed for your gun.

The FMJ stands for Full Metal Jacket meaning that a copper jacket is covering the entire exposed bullet (a good thing as lead bullets will foul barrels more).

JHP would be a Jacketed Hollow Point, but some are simply referred to as HP (even though they may be jacketed)

You may also see TMJ or UMC which is a complete metal jacket (it covers the entire lead bullet, not just the exposed parts)

FMJ (or UMC,TMJ, etc.) is usually considered range or practice ammo, while JHP or HP is usually considered your carry (self defense) ammo.

#16 ·
The .45 auto FMJ ammo at walmart is good range ammo.

For HD, the list above (DPX, HST, Ranger, et al) are all good choices; pick one (really, they're all about equal) that you like, put several magazines through your pistol to make sure it likes it...if it does, you're set; if it doesn't, try the next round and repeat. Personally, my 1911 really likes the classic HydraShok design, so that's what I go with.

If all you have access to is FMJ, it will work for protection...but with a few serious drawbacks. First, it can overpenetrate your target, carrying enough energy to be dangerous downrange. Second, a .45 FMJ does not, contrary to popular belief, make a .45" hole; the round nose design allows tissue to stretch around it, usually causing a permanent wound channel less than .35" and also tending to allow the skin and fatty layers to seal behind it slowing or preventing bleed out.

So--FMJ for the range, and quality JHP that works in your pistol for defense.:bier:

#17 ·
I use the remington umc bulk (yellow box) for the range and they shoot well in my Springfield 1911.

For Hollow points I use Golden Sabers 230 gr.

Like others have mentioned, some people recommend buying a "trial" box of HP. If your 1911 feeds the 1 box with no problems then that's the round you should use for self defense. Some 1911s are picky about what kind of hollow points they use, since the 1911 was originally designed for ball ammo. Most common 1911 brands will run hollow points with no problems.

I would recommend running at least 200 rounds of FMJ ammo first to "break it in"

If you don't mind me asking...what kind of 1911 are you getting?

#18 ·
I like to run the Federal American Eagle and Winchester White Box at the range, both 230gr ball. I will say that the Blazer Brass has been fairly consistent for me...as in, consistently shoots low and to the right out of both my 1911 and my friend's SIG P245. Maybe we had a bad batch, bu it's something to look out for with ANY brand. Your gun might not like it for whatever reason. As far as PD loads, I like the Speer Gold Dot 230 gr HP short barrel load, that stuff is crazy accurate in my gun. I also think the basic WWB personal protection loads are worth a look too. They are much cheaper so verifying function won't be nearly so expensive, and from what I understand expansion is still very good with it.

#20 ·
With all due respect, that article is:

1) Terribly out of date.

2) Full of inaccuracies even when it was current.

3) Something to be avoided.

For a more modern read on SD ammo--try this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

#23 ·

Here we go again... :banghead:

#26 ·
Anny ammo that you can get localy at the gun store or wally land is fine for the range. For SD a good FMJ will do, don't realy need a HP round, remember that a .45 is a "big slow moving bullet" it was desind for its stoping power so a HP or other SD rounds are not a necessity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.