Recommend Ammo, PLEASE !!!!

This is a discussion on Recommend Ammo, PLEASE !!!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting a .45 ACP 1911 A1 I understand there are many many types of AMMO, however for practice/getting used to the gun, what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Ammo, PLEASE !!!!

Exclamation Recommend Ammo, PLEASE !!!!

I am getting a .45 ACP 1911 A1

I understand there are many many types of AMMO, however for practice/getting used to the gun, what ammo should I use, also I plan to keep a couple of mags at the ready with home/personal protection ammo, can any of you please guide me in the right direction.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Try some of what ever you can get at a decent price. If it feeds and shoots well, you are good to go. I mostly try to see if there is ammo that I can eliminate for a particular gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Range/blasting, use the cheapest ammo that will run well. Defense, pick a good bullet, make sure it will run in your gun, go on with life.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Any US made 230 gr FMJ for the range. As for home defense, the FMJ ammo will work here too, though many here will tell you that you need a good hollow point cartridge. My suggestion is for you to first get comfortable with the pistol using FMJ ammo -- reliable functioning of the ammo, pistol and you is the most important consideration. Then, try some different types of hollow point defense loads at the range ensuring that they function flawlessly in your pistol before adopting them for defensive use. Stay away from the boutique ammo and use the good stuff from the major american manufacturers. Also, get the most from your .45's capability by using 230 grain and avoiding lighter bullets.

thanks for the info
    I truly appreciate it

JDM, for target,and 'breakin', this stuff runs great in my Kimber, and Springfield.........

Ammunition To Go : 250rds - 45 ACP Federal American Eagle 230gr. FMJ Ammo [ae45a2] - $99.95

And for S/D, lots of opinions, but.............again, this stuff does great in my guns............

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

WWB,PMC or the like for practice. 230gr Federal HST,Gold dot,Golden Saber, Winchester SXT for defense
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

for practice, anything that is cheap and your gun will shoot. buy a box or two of 50 rounds before buying a bulk pack to make sure it works. I like the winchester white box.
    for at home, since its a 45, fmj might be ok, but i still highly prefer a hollow point made for defence. they cost a ton more, but your life is worth more.
    I prefer gold dot.
    Make sure you shoot your defence ammo at the range some too though. Make sure it feeds and fires fine and you are used to it.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Thank you so much guys, it has been so long (use to own every glock and a SIG p228) that I had to sell due to well financial reasons, but I never owned a .45 much less a 1911 (gorgeous gun) so I need as much info/recommendations as possible.

Again thank you so very much

Go with any quality ball ammo for practice then consider any of the following for carry.

Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by:

Cor-Bon (DPX45185)

Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)

Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)

Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)

Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)

Don't hesitate using a bullet that weighs less than 230 grains if it's solid copper...
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I went to Walmart last night and saw that they had (can't recall the brand) .45 AUTO fmj.

Will that type of Ammo work in my gun since the 1911 is an ACP?

Yes. .45 Auto is just a shortened name for .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol).

Just don't get any .45 GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol), it's a shorter cartridge. I've never seen any .45 GAP at Walmart though...

Quote Originally Posted by JDM1967 View Post
    I went to Walmart last night and saw that they had (can't recall the brand) .45 AUTO fmj.

Will that type of Ammo work in my gun since the 1911 is an ACP?
    That appears to be .45 ACP. Most ACP ammo is referenced to as either ACP or Auto (.45ACP, .45Auto) . Any other .45 caliber will not work in your gun (such as .45 Long Colt, etc.). The FMJ part just explains the type of bullet, not what caliber gun it's designed for. The main thing to remember is if you are unsure, ask the clerk and make sure. Never try to fire a cartridge that wasn't designed for your gun.

The FMJ stands for Full Metal Jacket meaning that a copper jacket is covering the entire exposed bullet (a good thing as lead bullets will foul barrels more).

JHP would be a Jacketed Hollow Point, but some are simply referred to as HP (even though they may be jacketed)

You may also see TMJ or UMC which is a complete metal jacket (it covers the entire lead bullet, not just the exposed parts)

FMJ (or UMC,TMJ, etc.) is usually considered range or practice ammo, while JHP or HP is usually considered your carry (self defense) ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    That appears to be .45 ACP. Most ACP ammo is referenced to as either ACP or Auto (.45ACP, .45Auto) . Any other .45 caliber will not work in your gun (such as .45 Long Colt, etc.). The FMJ part just explains the type of bullet, not what caliber gun it's designed for. The main thing to remember is if you are unsure, ask the clerk and make sure. Never try to fire a cartridge that wasn't designed for your gun.

The FMJ stands for Full Metal Jacket meaning that a copper jacket is covering the entire exposed bullet (a good thing as lead bullets will foul barrels more).

JHP would be a Jacketed Hollow Point, but some are simply referred to as HP (even though they may be jacketed)

You may also see TMJ or UMC which is a complete metal jacket (it covers the entire lead bullet, not just the exposed parts)

FMJ (or UMC,TMJ, etc.) is usually considered range or practice ammo, while JHP or HP is usually considered your carry (self defense) ammo.
    Thank you !!!!
    I saw taht it was 3 $ cheaper than the one I had seen the night before and before I made a mistake, I wanted to make completely sure

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Any US made 230 gr FMJ for the range. As for home defense, the FMJ ammo will work here too, though many here will tell you that you need a good hollow point cartridge. My suggestion is for you to first get comfortable with the pistol using FMJ ammo -- reliable functioning of the ammo, pistol and you is the most important consideration. Then, try some different types of hollow point defense loads at the range ensuring that they function flawlessly in your pistol before adopting them for defensive use. Stay away from the boutique ammo and use the good stuff from the major american manufacturers. Also, get the most from your .45's capability by using 230 grain and avoiding lighter bullets.
    Big DITTO! I wouldn't rule out quality 230gr HARDBALL for defensive purposes either. Like JHP's in my Colts but do NOT feel "under loaded" with good ol' FMJ!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links