.45 acp question

.45 acp question

This is a discussion on .45 acp question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably a retarded question but since i am a retard anyway i'll ask it. Is .45 auto ammunition the same as .45acp? i have seen ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp question

.45 acp question

Probably a retarded question but since i am a retard anyway i'll ask it. Is .45 auto ammunition the same as .45acp? i have seen both on boxes at the local store and wonder if both are acceptable. All the defensive rounds i have seen lately are all +p which my gun will shoot but it does not like to manually clear the +p rounds for some reason. If i can use .45 auto then i have some other options available.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yep. .45 Auto and .45 Automatic Colt Pistol are one and the same. Feel better now?

Don't understand why +P ammo would be difficult to manually clear. The case dimensions should be the same as standard ammo. You're not using .45 GAP ammo in a .45 auto, are you? You didn't say what model firearm you're using.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

its an H&K .45. the manual says it is a go for +p rounds. the ones it won't manually clear are magtech guardian gold .45 auto+p 185 JHP. it fires them just fine and does not jam. however once it is loaded with one in the chamber the only way that round is coming out is by pulling the trigger.

if +p won't cycle reliably through your 45, then just use standard pressure quality hollowpoints. that's all i use. they're very effective already, and are easier on your gun.

i have ranger talons RA45T, standard pressure 230grn jhp's in my 1911's.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    if +p won't cycle reliably through your 45, then just use standard pressure quality hollowpoints. that's all i use. they're very effective already, and are easier on your gun.

i have ranger talons RA45T, standard pressure 230grn jhp's in my 1911's.
    yeah i ended up with +p because that was all that was even on the shelf. this ammo crunch thing sucks. its gotten a little better but still a pain in the but for certain stuff.

Have you tried to buy online anywhere? You might be able to find Speer Gold Dots, Golden Saber, Rangers, Federal and other good SD ammo.

Administrator
    "its an H&K .45. the manual says it is a go for +p rounds. the ones it won't manually clear are magtech guardian gold .45 auto+p 185 JHP. it fires them just fine and does not jam. however once it is loaded with one in the chamber the only way that round is coming out is by pulling the trigger."

That is totally abnormal and atypical.
    There should be no difference in the way +P manually extracts as VS standard pressure .45acp ammo.
    Dimensionally the cartridge cases should be (for all intent and purpose) the same with regard to clearing a chamber.

right which is why it baffles me. I can run through a whole magisine of my magtech target rounds cycling the slide manually without issue. With the +p in the chamber though the slide won't pull back.

Administrator
    It may be a problem just as simple as a single out of spec batch of +P.

Remember that +P in .45acp is really NOT all that "plus" in pressure anyway...because the .45acp cartridge case wall brass is not super thick or strong. So +P & +P+ in .45 can only ever be only so "PLUS" before cartridge case walls would begin to blow out on extraction.

BTW H&K pistols can handle anything available in the way of +.45 ammo.
    At one point in time the H&K was MIL tested with 6,000 PROOF rounds through the same barrel. Their barrels are incredibly strong.

For a high-end pistol like an H+K to have a problem chambering or ejecting any round sounds like a problem with chamber roughness. Is there any chance someone ran a bunch of lacquered steel-case rounds (e.g., Wolf) through the gun? Pistol ammo doesn't usually generate the problems seen with ARs, but stranger things have happened.

The other suspect is a damaged extractor... have you looked at it up close?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Agreed - It's a very odd and idiosyncratic problem & everything possibly causative should be examined.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    For a high-end pistol like an H+K to have a problem chambering or ejecting any round sounds like a problem with chamber roughness. Is there any chance someone ran a bunch of lacquered steel-case rounds (e.g., Wolf) through the gun? Pistol ammo doesn't usually generate the problems seen with ARs, but stranger things have happened.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    its an H&K .45. the manual says it is a go for +p rounds. the ones it won't manually clear are magtech guardian gold .45 auto+p 185 JHP. it fires them just fine and does not jam. however once it is loaded with one in the chamber the only way that round is coming out is by pulling the trigger.
    Manually eject a couple and then inspect the bullet for rifling marks. There shouldn't be any. If there are, the cartidge overall length is too long. The .45 auto headspaces on the case lip. Just a thought to check for.
    Other than that, don't waste your money on that brand and load again. The +P should have nothing to do with the case fitting the chamber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

I bought this pistol brand new last april. The only rounds ever put through it have been magtech range rounds and nothing else until these +p. it has never once jammed during firing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Manually eject a couple and then inspect the bullet for rifling marks. There shouldn't be any. If there are, the cartidge overall length is too long. The .45 auto headspaces on the case lip. Just a thought to check for.
    Other than that, don't waste your money on that brand and load again. The +P should have nothing to do with the case fitting the chamber.
    +1. Right on track with the comment, or the case is too long and butting the ball seat.
    I suppose the chamber could be short but highly unlikely for an H&K. I have a USP .45c and the thing is a tank.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    can't do that lol. it will not manually eject the round. the slide will hardly move back with a round chambered. thats the problem i am having. it fires them just fine though. I will not be buying them again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links