Winchester Ranger Bonded ammo tests?

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger Bonded ammo tests? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone done thier own testing on the Winchester Ranger Bonded ammo, as in water jugs? (As in the 180gr .40 S&W stuff) I'm curious ...

Thread: Winchester Ranger Bonded ammo tests?

Winchester Ranger Bonded ammo tests?

Has anyone done thier own testing on the Winchester Ranger Bonded ammo, as in water jugs? (As in the 180gr .40 S&W stuff)
    I'm curious to see the results and hear the opinions.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

2. Remove Ads

It's pretty decent stuff. Doesn't go huge like the HST, but opens up pretty consistently at 1.5x diameter from my experience. This was done with two water filled milk jugs and a water logged phonebook to back it. Ends up about 3/4 through the phonebook (which is about 2x the original size with the water). Sorry, no pics :-(

CMR,
    We have been trying different brands of defense ammo as a comparison just to see the differences in expansion. So far the only brands we tried were Federal HST in 45, 40 and 9mm, Speer Gold Dot in 38 and 380, and Winchester PDX in 40. What I shot so far:
    Fed HST 45 230 gr
    Fed HST 40 180 gr
    Fed HST 9mm 124 +P, 147 gr
    Speer Gold Dot 38 135 Gr +P Short Bbl
    Speer Gold Dot 380 90gr
    Winchester PDX1 40 180 gr.
    This is all unscientific but what we have been seeing is that the Federal HST has been the most consistent and has the greatest expansion as compared to Speer Gold Dot or Winchester PDX1. The Federal HST 9mm 147gr actually expaned more that the Win. PDX 40 cal. by a slight margin. The HST 124 +P was disappointing and I want to do that one over because it just didnt seem right, it was not even close to the 147gr in expansion, in fact the Speer GD 38 actually expaned more than the 9mm 124+P.
    I'm sure other members have done testing and there results may be different than mine due to various factors, such as, the gun used, barrel length, medium used and the distance from target medium, I am in no way saying my results are gospel. What I also want to do is get the 4 main calibers (45,40,9mm,38) in as many different weights and compare each for expansion and penetration. Since I prefer HST, Gold Dot and Winchester Im trying to stock up on them to give it a try, maybe if I can find Cor Bon I can try that also. It's gonna take quite a while before I ever get it done because there are so many different combinations, its expensive and there is limited time to do it at the range. I did have pictures of all the tested rounds and measured the expansion but I it got deleted when I had computer problems. What started out as a curiosity has now become a project. Hope this helps

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but with all the professional and controlled testing performed on today's defensive ammunition, what is the point of "testing" by shooting into water jugs (or wet pack or anything else)? I can understand the fun aspect of it, but beyond that, why waste expensive ammo? What can the recreational/defensive shooter learn about the ammunition that has not already been learned and documented by the manufacturers themselves or by agencies such as the FBI?

Here's the Winchester data on the Ranger 180 grain .40 S+W bonded stuff: http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollec...law_bullit.swf
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The dealer said my Accord has 245hp. Is me testing the claim a waste of gas? Sure it is. But yes it was for fun, demonstration purposes, and I get the stuff real cheap.

Links