who knows?

who knows?

This is a discussion on who knows? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a new Glock 30 in 45ACP. I plan on carrying this gun once i get my CCL. Question is, is the cheap ...

Thread: who knows?

who knows?

Just picked up a new Glock 30 in 45ACP. I plan on carrying this gun once i get my CCL. Question is, is the cheap Winchester hollow point white box stuff that you can get at Dicks Sporting Goods any good for self defense? I have been looking at the prices of Speer Gold Dot, and cannot afford to practice with rounds that cost more than $1/bullet. The white box hollow point is less expensive, and i could practice quite a bit and become very familiar with this round on the range. Is it important to practice what you are going to carry??? or do people practice with the cheap stuff, and then carry a bullet that they rarely fire? Thanks. Bunker

Senior Moderator
    Personally, I carry the best defensive ammo I can get my hands on (right now Gold Dots, because HST is impossible to find). I shoot enough of it to know that it cycles reliably in my carry gun, and then I find a cheap practice FMJ load that shoots to roughly the same point of aim.

Periodically, I buy new defensive ammo, and shoot the old stock.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    First - Welcome! Also welcome to the G30 family! I just got mine a few weeks ago and am floored by it's accuracy. It out-shoots my G19 consistently.

In a perfect world, every practice round would be the same high-priced round that you carry. Since I don't life in that world, I practice with cheap FMJ 230 grn, and carry Speer Gold Dot 230 grn hollow points. I've run enough of the Speer thru it in practice that I'm confident it will feed, and it really doesn't shoot much different. 'Same practice goes for all my 'carry' guns. JMHO. I'm sure you'll receive many others!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Just picked up a new Glock 30 in 45ACP. I plan on carrying this gun once i get my CCL. Question is, is the cheap Winchester hollow point white box stuff that you can get at Dicks Sporting Goods any good for self defense? I have been looking at the prices of Speer Gold Dot, and cannot afford to practice with rounds that cost more than $1/bullet. The white box hollow point is less expensive, and i could practice quite a bit and become very familiar with this round on the range. Is it important to practice what you are going to carry??? or do people practice with the cheap stuff, and then carry a bullet that they rarely fire? Thanks. Bunker
    This is true, but you can afford to pay that much to defend your life, right?
    I would buy your cheaper practice ammo...no problem, but I would buy 1-2 boxes of the 'good stuff' (opinions vary...I like SGD) and try a bit of it to make sure your gun likes it (your Glock will) and you know how it feels. Then just use the SGD for SD carry. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Good plan. Just fire enough of the premium rounds to be sure they cycle OK which in a Glock would be one full loading from each magazine I intended to carry. FWIW in the middle of last year a lot of us used the WW White box .45HP's as our EDC round. There are several tests showing it to be an effective SD round but the Gold Dots are supposedly superior and what I carry in my Kimber and H&K .45's.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

when it comes to the 45 acp any round/type will work. even good old 230 ball ammo will do the job. sometimes we get wrapped around the axle when it comes to picking which bullet we are going to carry in our gun. the big thing is the gun/bullet should should work well with each other. i have seen some guns that did not like a certain brand of ammo. but my g30 will eat anything that i load in the mag. do a search and you willl see this has been around the block here many times.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My opinion only, and I don't need to hear a bunch of comments telling me how wrong I am:

Practice with any ammo is all good! Shoot away with the cheap stuff.

In all reality, I can't afford to blast through $$$$ worth of my SD Gold Dots either in my G30. What I've found is I am no less or more accurate with GDs than any other ammo, the difference being miniscule within 25 yards. It might have made a difference at fifty yards+, but that's out of accurate and reasonable pistol range for most anyhow.

So unless you're trying to shoot the left hind leg off a gnat at fifty paces, no, you don't need to shoot up a bunch of your SD ammo, which doesn't grow old every six months. They're still shooting WWII surplus ammo.

Practice with anything; but practice. Fire some SD rounds to ensure they feed well. When you get up close and personal in the typical SD situation, that .5" higher your SD round may shoot is not going to make a difference.

Now, for all those who choose to disregard the opening line, fire away. But I'm not changing my mind.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The cost of good SG rounds can be very high and keeps us from using them to target shoot. Not a good thing. My last order of 1000 Gold Dot +P 40 cal including shipping was just short of $500 from Georga Arms that works out to $20 per box of 50, no one can match that. This is new ammo not reload. They supply many LEs with this stuff too. Shoots great and Gold Dots are the best performing HP out there. This lets me shoot all the time with the same round I us for SD. Good luck, even though I have Hornady CD in some guns the cost of $25+ per little box means they do not fill much of my ammo boxes.
    Last edited by RafterBob; February 28th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.

I carried the WWB JHP .45s in my G30 when I had one. Had to kill a few attacking dogs. They were shot, they died. Good enough or me. Not the coolest thing out there but I doubt there is a person on earth that wouldn't mind a few of these bullets into the chest.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I carry Remington Golden Saber Bonded 230gr BJHP in my G30sf. Extremely accurate, 100% reliable, proven bullet technology. Golden Saber for all my defensive guns: Bonded 147gr 9mm, and 102gr .380 as well. Great stuff, never a failure.
    Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

cmb
    I carry FMJ in 45 acp, and in 380 and 32... hitting the target is first, penetration second. OMO.

I would rather carry WWB HP that I had shot hundreds of rounds with no problems than switch to ammo for carry that I had not shot enough of to be 100% confident in it working in my gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

actually, the WWB personal defense is not a bad round. In tests ive seens, it sometimes sheds its jacket, but the lead diameter is approx 1". Here is one test video. There is another that has penetration outthere somewhere. If its all you can afford and your gun runs well with it, then so be it. Be safe.

YouTube - AT1 - .45 ACP - Winchester White Box 230 Gr JHP
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Lots of good points so far, and I'll offer mine as well. We have heard the "don't skimp when it comes to your life" line, and I agree. If it's critical to practice with relatively cheap ammo, you may also want to consider practicing with ammo of the same weight. If you can find cheap HP ammo, great - and even better if it's the same grain.
    Wilson Combat Tactical Elite
    Springfield Champion, Springfield Mil Spec, Beretta 92FS
    Smith & Wesson 642, Smith & Wesson 640
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series, Smith & Wesson 629 Classic
    Remington 1100 Competition Master, Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless 300 WSM

Links