Can't find any Garand ammo

This is a discussion on Can't find any Garand ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've looked on CMP for Greek surplus ammo. They are all out. I know Garands need a special kind of .30-06 but I can't find ...

Thread: Can't find any Garand ammo

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Can't find any Garand ammo

I've looked on CMP for Greek surplus ammo. They are all out. I know Garands need a special kind of .30-06 but I can't find any anywhere. All I really want is a few hundred rounds to plink with. I don't want a whole case or 10,000 rounds etc... Maybe just 100-200 rounds tops to keep around to shoot a few clips now and then.

No local gun stores stock it, most places I've seen online are sold out... is there anywhere else anyone knows about were I can buy it?

2. Remove Ads

Core-Lokt Centerfire Ammunition - Core-Lokt Ammunition - Remington Core-Lokt Ammunition

Federal Premium - Rifle Details

http://www.winchester.com/Products/r...s/USA3006.aspx

Here's three links. The Federal and Winchester products would be a very close duplication to M2 ball. Even the old faithful Remington Core-lokt in the 150 grain bullet weight will shoot great. It is mild and will be compatible with your rifle's gas system.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    So basically anything under 150 grain and I'm good?

You're rifle will be fine with any standard velocity 150 grain factory loads. It would probably be prudent to just stay away from any that promote enhanced performance. Hornady's Light Magnum would be an example of that and there are others. Mind you I've never test fired any of the fancy stuff in my M1 to find out how it would handle it but I see no need to make my rifle a guinea pig.

I'm an enthusiastic long time handloader. I've made up great shooting loads for my M1 with bullets weighing from 125 grains to 180 grains. I leave the 190, 200, and 220 grain bullets out of my M1 loading.

Regarding the Hornady Light Magnum loadings. I've fired both .30-06 and .257 Roberts versions of the Hornady Light Magnum loads over the chronograph from bolt action rifles. They are all they are cracked up to be. It takes a carefully worked up heavy handload to equal them.

I saw a bunch of 30 caliber (also known as 30/06) in the Garand clips here a while back at a gun shop. That tells me that it is still out there in the surplus market. I would probably be looking at classic, aim or j&g for ammo, especially if you want that in the garand clips.

The CMP has been successful in acquiring another very large quantity of HXP .30-06 ammo. We expect delivery in Jan 2010 and should have the ammo ready for sale by Feb or Mar. Until we actually receive and inspect the ammo, we will not know what packaging configurations will be available, but expect them to be the same as we have had for the past few years. We do not yet know what our final cost will be. We do know that the quantity is large enough to satisfy our customer needs for several years.

Looks like this ammo should be coming up about now. At least in the next few weeks.

Ammunition Sales

Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I've looked on CMP for Greek surplus ammo. They are all out. I know Garands need a special kind of .30-06 but I can't find any anywhere.
    No special ammo is needed for your M1. Anything between 145 gr and 172 gr standard velocity ammo will do just fine. Most National Match Garands do better with the heavier bullet weights.

The lack of surplus or DCM .30-06 is the reason I had my M1 converted to .308 when I had it rebuilt into a National Match gun.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Pro2A Ammo to go has the Hornady M1 garand ammo in stock (Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 30-06 Hornady Match M1 Garand 168gr A-Max Ammo [81170] - $29.95), I've seen the Federal M1 Garand ammo on ATG in the past, hope this helps.

Looks like your ammo has now come in.

Ammunition Sales

MUST BE GOOD LUCK TO POST HERE.

Links