And just why the heck not?

This is a discussion on And just why the heck not? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed that many of the better semi-auto brands have after market replacement barrels that make it possible to shoot different calibers in the same ...

Thread: And just why the heck not?

And just why the heck not?

I've noticed that many of the better semi-auto brands have after market replacement barrels that make it possible to shoot different calibers in the same gun.
    So I'm at the gun store this morning ordering a Polish P-64 9mm Makarov pistol. I've heard good things about them. This is the one I ordered.
    I picked up a box of 9mm Mak's as well, so I'm ready to head to the range when it arrives, and as I'm looking at the shells, I notice how similar they look to .380 acp.
    A little research reveals that the Makarov is a tiny bit longer than the .380, but balistically it's near identical to a +P .380.
    So why the heck hasn't Kel-tec or somebody taken advantage of this fact to adapt an existing .380 into a 9mm Makarov with a simple barrel swap.

2. Remove Ads

The .380 round is also known as the 9mm short. But I think there may be more involved in chambering a .380 into a 9mm pistol than just changing barrels.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

The 380 is a 9MM. 9MM X 17. The Makarov is 9MM X 18. The 9MM Luger or Parabellum is 9MM X19. The 380 and 9MM Luger use a bullet that is .355. The Makarov use a bullet that is .364.

The Makarov has about the same power as the 380. Some Makarovs have been rebarreled to 380. There is a better bullet selection of .355 bullets. There would be no advantage to really be gained by rebarrling a 380 to the 9X18.

There is a significant pressure rise in the 9MM Luger so you can not rebarrel a Makarov to 9MM Luger.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My point is just that the Makarov is so very similar to the .380, why not take advantage of the greater availability of the Mak?
    9mm Luger would be a big leap in pressure and physical size, making .380 to Luger conversion problematic at best.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    The .380 round is also known as the 9mm short. But I think there may be more involved in chambering a .380 into a 9mm pistol than just changing barrels.
    Definitely. The 9mm is twice as powerful as .380 acp. The OP was asking about putting a .380 barrel into a 9X18 makarov though I believe. That seems more feasible, since they are roughly the same power and so the risk of damaging the frame is probably negligible.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's often more involved than simply rechambering a barrel for another cartridge. There's magazine and feeding considerations also. Plus, is there enough public demand for the conversion to make up for the retooling expenses? Probably not.

There have been other conversions that failed merely for the costs. Lone Wolf had a .45 to 10mm conversion barrels at one time, but it had problems that could have been worked out, but the cost of doing so and low demand would never have made it profitable.

A lot of "Why dont they...?" comes down to simple economics.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    .............The OP was asking about putting a .380 barrel into a 9X18 makarov though I believe...............
    Actually, I believe he was asking why Kel-Tec or someone making the small 380s doesn't adapt them to the 9mm Makarov, probably under the assumption the the 9mm Makarov is a step up in power.

If that's the question, I think you need to look at the stats for the Makarov. While it is a silly millimeter longer than the 380, it's performance improvement is nominal. The only company I could find on Midway's site selling any kind of defensive ammo for the Makarov is Hornady. There Makarov ammo only has 11 ft. lbs. more energy than their 380 ammo. I doubt many manufacturers would gear up to produce a Makarov barrel for only a 11 ft. lb. increase in performance.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Actually, I believe he was asking why Kel-Tec or someone making the small 380s doesn't adapt them to the 9mm Makarov, probably under the assumption the the 9mm Makarov is a step up in power.
    Hoss
    You're half right. What I'm thinking of is availability.
    I can walk into any gun store in town and pick up a box of Makarov. It may only be FMJ, but IT'S ON THE SHELF.
    Asking for .380 will usually get you little more than a polite shrug.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    because then you wouldnt be able to walk inot any store in town and pick up a box of 9mm mak...is it that hard to understand?...it would increase demand for mak to the point where it wouldnt be available...the ammo supply has to increase to meet the demand...retooling a factory to put a band aid on the situation isnt going to solve it...

Links