Cabelas Horrible

This is a discussion on Cabelas Horrible within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Retailers really have no way of knowing when backordered stock will arrive. I have had just as many instances of Cabelas giving me a backorder ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Horrible

Retailers really have no way of knowing when backordered stock will arrive. I have had just as many instances of Cabelas giving me a backorder date only to have it show up weeks ahead of that date because they recieved inventory ahead of schedule. It's really out of their control. I still buy ammo from Cabelas. I just don't let my stock get so low I run out.

I believe Cabelas gives you the option of NOT ordering if you don't want to.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Why is it, whenever I think of Cabela's, the song "The Stroke" by Billy Squire starts playing in my head?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    I had primers on order for about 6 months and then was cancelled. I'll shop elsewhere.
    Primers are very hit or miss.

I have had some distributors tell me that they will no longer sell primers.

Primers, I do not back order for customers. I do maintain a list and call if and when I get any in.

You can PM me here or call me but I never know what I am going to get.

888-745-2080
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Not everywhere.

Yes I sell exotic ammo too but have little in stock right now.

I have a fair supply of 9mm luger.40 S&W, and some flat nose Winchester 45 auto as of today.

What you see on my website is always in stock.

Stock is updated every thirty minutes on the website during the day.

I also use other distributors for what I do not warehouse. Normally, I can get what a customer wants in a few days at most.

No, I have no .380.

I recommend you buy in quantity. (10) 50 round boxes will normally not exceed $10-12 for shipping. I only charge what it costs me.

Guns Supply - GunsAndSupply.com Home
    This is good to know. Very nice website also.

Sorry, but I find nothing deceptive or shameful about Cabela's. It takes two clicks to place it in your cart or not:
    This item is on backorder. Cabela's estimates it will take 1-2 weeks to ship this product.
    You are then presented with two buttons to either "Add To Cart" or "Cancel Items".
    See that word "estimates"? That means they cannot guarantee when it will arrive. At least on most items, they give you the choice of placing the item on backorder and get your order in line to be filled. As much business as I do with Midway and like the company, a large amount of their ammo and reloading components say "Out of Stock -- No Backorder". That means if I want to get that product, I have to look every day, sometimes several times a day, to see if it's in stock.

When I was trying to find CCI small rifle primers, I had put in to receive a notification email from Midway when they came in stock as no backorder was allowed. Three times, within 45 minutes of receiving an email that they were in stock I went to their site to order only to find them already sold out. Powder Valley wasn't taking any backorders because they already had over 50,000,000 primers on backorder. Since I was going to need these primers for a prairie dog hunt in June of 2010, I decided the best way to get them was to place a backorder with Cabela's. I placed the order on October 28th, 2009, fully expecting that I may not receive them until Spring. I received my 10,000 primers on December 7, 2009, just a bit over a month from order.

I've bought ammunition from ATG, AmmoMan, Cheaper Than Dirt, Mid-South Shooter's supply, Midway, Natchez and probably others that I can't remember right now. Virtually all of them were cheaper than Cabela's. But if nobody has what you're looking for, at least Cabela's will let you place a backorder. In the mean time, you can keep looking for your product everywhere else. If you find it, cancel your Cabela's order. But at least for now, your name is in line.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Sorry, but I find nothing deceptive or shameful about Cabela's. It takes two clicks to place it in your cart or not:

You are then presented with two buttons to either "Add To Cart" or "Cancel Items".
    See that word "estimates"? That means they cannot guarantee when it will arrive. At least on most items, they give you the choice of placing the item on backorder and get your order in line to be filled. As much business as I do with Midway and like the company, a large amount of their ammo and reloading components say "Out of Stock -- No Backorder". That means if I want to get that product, I have to look every day, sometimes several times a day, to see if it's in stock.

When I was trying to find CCI small rifle primers, I had put in to receive a notification email from Midway when they came in stock as no backorder was allowed. Three times, within 45 minutes of receiving an email that they were in stock I went to their site to order only to find them already sold out. Powder Valley wasn't taking any backorders because they already had over 50,000,000 primers on backorder. Since I was going to need these primers for a prairie dog hunt in June of 2010, I decided the best way to get them was to place a backorder with Cabela's. I placed the order on October 28th, 2009, fully expecting that I may not receive them until Spring. I received my 10,000 primers on December 7, 2009, just a bit over a month from order.

I've bought ammunition from ATG, AmmoMan, Cheaper Than Dirt, Mid-South Shooter's supply, Midway, Natchez and probably others that I can't remember right now. Virtually all of them were cheaper than Cabela's. But if nobody has what you're looking for, at least Cabela's will let you place a backorder. In the mean time, you can keep looking for your product everywhere else. If you find it, cancel your Cabela's order. But at least for now, your name is in line.

Hiss
    Hoss,

I find nothing wrong either.

I admire the company. They have a great business model.
    They even advertise on TV.

I can compete with their prices and stock, most of the time though and I'm just a small company.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Hoss,

I find nothing wrong either.

I admire the company. They have a great business model.
    They even advertise on TV.

I can compete with their prices and stock, most of the time though and I'm just a small company.
    Cabela's rarely has the best prices. I've also never seen them try to gouge on prices. One of the reasons I hate recommending Cheaper Than Dirt is because of their much talked about Blazer 380 ammo at the height of the ammo shortage. Had Powder Valley had the primers I needed, I could have saved over $50.00 on the 10,000 I ordered. Midway would have saved me less but still some savings over Cabela's. Only problem was that Cabela's was the only one who would let me even attempt to order them.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

i never shop at cabelas or dicks. all bad experiances in store and online.
    for gun stuff i got to my local gun store, or to my local (but online) reloading supply co.
    if neither of them have it then gun show or another online source
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Everything is an estimate. They are told by their suppliers when their order will arrive and the retailer passes this onto their customers with an estimate. It's not the gospel, it's an estimate. Cabela's has no control over when their orders arrive nor any other retailer. It shows up when it shows up and lead times mean nothing. If the lead time is too long and you don't want to wait, don't back order. Shop from a place in stock.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

One of the reasons I hate recommending Cheaper Than Dirt is because of their much talked about Blazer 380 ammo at the height of the ammo shortage.
    CTD's business model attempts to keep items in stock until their next supply arrives, and adjusts the price to fulfill that business model. When there is a long wait time for resupply the price will rise. Short wait time price will remain low. It's part of the supply and demand economics. You the consumer sets the market price. If the price is too high, no one will buy and the price will decrease until it sells. Now that supply has increased and demand decreased, prices are lower. Every product you buy is on the supply/demand model.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I have to agree. I'm a big fan of "in store" shopping there, but my on line ammo order was at 4 months before I called and cancelled it. Nice gal on the phone, she simply said sorry and ammo is hard to get. Bad for Cabela's, good for the other ammo buyers/suppliers.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

i never order ammo online, the shipping costs makes it no cheaper than local prices, and usually more expensive.

I've had the best luck with Ammunition To Go.
    Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs!.
    I have purchased ammo from them at Gun shows and online. If something is out of stock, you can usually call and they have a good idea of how long it will take to get it.
    Last edited by stevefishn; March 3rd, 2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: correct spelling

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkjr View Post
    midway....... has changed it in stock date too many times to count from Dec 2 2009 ...... monday was suppose to be here march 3rd now its later...... why put a date if you really dont know when your going to get it...... if mfg are saying the date well they should know by now after 3 months that they really dont know.

jmho
    Midway could provide a nice option by using filter option to just show what is in stock. That would save folks some time.

VIP Member

See that word "estimates"? That means they cannot guarantee when it will arrive.
    We can agree to not agree on this issue. I base my statement on experience, both as a customer, and as someone who worked for a major online retailer. The estimate is required by law. I feel Cabelas is skating a fine line by providing an estimated shipping date at checkout and following up with emails that repeatedly move the estimated shipping date. The particular order I'm refering to has had no less than 4 revisions to the shipping date.

Another poster backs up my experience by indicating their order has been waiting for 11 months now.

A duck is a duck is a duck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links