Defensive Carry banner

Cabelas Horrible

9K views 66 replies 43 participants last post by  VinceC 
#1 ·
I've about had it with Cabelas ammo sales. They continue to advertise ammo deals in bulk, but keep my small ammo order on backorder for over a month.

Cabelas won't tell you up front that the bulk ammo deals are on back order. You have to waste your time adding an item to the cart before they will tell you they don't have it.

When Cabelas does tell you they don't have it, they give you a bogus expected shipment date. Then the emails keep coming with "updated dates" that somehow never seem to get there for months.

Even better, Cabelas sometimes just cancels the order because they can't get the stock in. No options, no asking if they can do anything else for you, just an unpleasant note that the order was canceled, no explanation as to why.

Cabelas practices are deceptive and shameful in my opinion, and I think there are better choices out there.

Midway does a good job of indicating in stock/out of stock, as does Cheaper Than Dirt.

Well guess what Cabelas, I ordered from Ammo To Go. It is my first order experience with this outfit, but you have set the bar pretty low in my eyes.

See less See more
#45 ·
I've never had trouble with them even with standard shipping my ammo got here in 5 days, I usually only buy when they have free shipping specials.

#49 ·
This is rather interesting. I order stuff from cabelas online all the time and have always received what was advertised and shown in stock on time. Maybe this is just with the ammo as I've never ordered any ammo from them. Hmmm...Glad to know.

#52 ·
.30-30 in stock at time of order.

The next day, I receive an email stating that it's on back order.

3 months later, it's still on back order, but they send an email that they have 'similary quality, but different manufacturer of .30-06' that they'd like to subsitute. The email doesn't allow for replies, so I have to call. I even have to explain why you can't shoot .30-06 out of a .30-30 rifle. I cancel the order.

A few weeks later, I get another email asking to substitute another brand for the order that I previously cancelled. All the while they have my credit card number, so I have to stay on top of this. I'm done w/them.

BTW, those are some great people skills that you have there, Tubby.

#56 ·
The closest store is 8 hours from me. That is a long haul just to visit. But I do enjoy living in a less crowded area, so no regrets there.

#58 ·
I like Cabela's, and have had problems like everyone else.

I ordered some .223 fmj bullets back in April and they arrived in Dec.

I learned that they seem to have two separate wharehouse systems or somethin, because I have had stuff on catalog backorder for a month and walked in the store and found it on the shelf. Go figure.

The ammo/reloading supply situation is just so far out of control that I can't understand it and would imagine that Cabela's can't either.

#59 ·
Cabelas is a fair and just company. They have no control over how fast manufactures can spit out product. They have no control over how much demand customers put on product.
The manufactures are pretty much running around the clock. More money in their pockets. Big companies like Cabelas get high demand from customers and high priority from manufactures.
The problem is increased interest in firearms. The more people interested in firearms the more secure we all are in ensuring that we will be able to continue shooting. That is a win - win. Watch the market. Plan ahead.

#60 ·
I've always had great luck at Cabelas online. If its not in stock, I don't order it. If it is in stock, I call to place my order to be sure. There prices are good; bargin cave is the best.

I am lucky enough to have one near by. They always seem to have the ammo I need sitting on the shelf, even self defense ammo. I've also purchased many firearms through Cabelas. I always seem to find firearms that are priced better than gun shows.

Example: 2005 Marlin model 336 .30-30; purchased used for $300 OTD! This rifle was close to looking new, even came with a $199 scope and leather sling.

Heck, I'm going to Cabelas today, the kids love going because of the fish tanks and stuffed animals.

Good Luck!

#62 ·
I take a ride out to Cabela's at least once a year. It's like being a kid in a candy store. I always have had a pleasant experience in the store.

I did make a bulk ammo purchase in August 09. I was given numerous expected delivery dates. They even removed me from the backorder list without telling me. After a phone call they made it right by taking off 10%. As of last month, still no ammo. They had called me a few times to offer an alternantive brand. I had ordered 9mm in bulk. Finally, I switched .45 ACP in a smaller quantity that they had in stock. It came a few days later.

It just happens to be tough to buy ammo in a time of war.

#64 ·
I never buy anything that marked backorder, I don't care what the company is.

I am 40 minutes from Cabela's, so I normally just buy what I need from off the shelf, but they don't keep shelf-stock of 500 and 1000 round bulk ammo deals. I have ordered twice and had the ammo shipped to the store and picked it up there - no shipping fee and I've had the ammo in under a week each time.

Yea, there's the gas to go to Cabela's but I always mix that run with something else to offset that expense. :image035:

#66 ·
I've never had a problem with my Cabelas order. I've ordered from them dozens of times. I ordered 500 rds of 45ACP FMJ and 100 rds of 45 ACP Speer Gold Dot from them a couple of months ago and received it in about 10 days.

#67 ·
I order from all kinds of places and have not had problems. Cabelas is often the cheapest per round because they have free shipping deals and it seems they ship from a fairly local warehouse. I get the delivery in about 2 days. I never buy backordered. There are too many sources and I make a purchase when my supply gets down to about 1,000 rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.