Cabelas Horrible

This is a discussion on Cabelas Horrible within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gotta (mostly) agree with this, although I love Cabelas, and have never had a problem with ordering anything online with them EXCEPT ammo. Tried a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Horrible

DrJ
    Gotta (mostly) agree with this, although I love Cabelas, and have never had a problem with ordering anything online with them EXCEPT ammo. Tried a while back to order some garden variety .40 cal, and after it was backordered 3-4 times over 4 months or so (each time with "expected ship" dates 3 weeks or so later), I finally just cancelled the order. Don't fault them for not having it, but it would be nice to get an e-mail that says, "we don't have it, and have no idea when we will!" At least that would be honest.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I feel Cabelas is skating a fine line by providing an estimated shipping date at checkout and following up with emails that repeatedly move the estimated shipping date. The particular order I'm refering to has had no less than 4 revisions to the shipping date.
    Would you rather them not contact at all? They are not skating a fine line, they are doing their best to keep you informed of the status of your back order. How is that shady or even close to it? I don't get some of you guys sometimes.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I placed my first ammo order at Cabela's a couple weeks ago during their free shipping over $50 with NRA coupon. I received part of my order a few days ago and received email that the rest is still on backorder. Can't really complain, but if you need ammo quickly then it is not best choice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Would you rather them not contact at all? They are not skating a fine line, they are doing their best to keep you informed of the status of your back order. How is that shady or even close to it? I don't get some of you guys sometimes.
    How about this for perspective. Say you tell your boss you will have something done by next week. Then next week you tell him, no, I've not done it yet, it will be the next week. That week gets here, and you tell the boss, well, I think it will be next month. Think you will still have a job?

Substitute customer for boss? Get me now?

The only time I ever ordered ammo from Cabelas was last year when everyone had supply problems. I just took the backorder delay for what it was. I haven't ordered from them recently. I've purchased from Midway before and it was a good experience. I just placed a large bulk order for 7.62x39, 40sw, 38spl, 12ga, and 30-30 this afternoon from Ammo To Go for the first time. Apart from seeing sales tax pop up at checkout (I didn't realize they were in Texas--my fault for not checking), no surprises. Even with tax and shipping, it was still cheaper than others out there. We'll see how the order turns out.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Cheap Ammo | In Stock Ammo For Sale here is another site with ok prices..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Not really a good analogy, but I understand the dynamics of the situation. I deal with the same customers so I see things from both sides. I have back orders for new 10mm and .380 brass I ordered back in October that was supposed to be a 4 week delivery. It's now March and the lead time is still "a few weeks or so". So I've been forwarding that to my customers. They get fed up, cancel, sale lost, customer lost. Put an order in for 150,000 CCI primers in June 2009. 12 week lead time. December says they are just shipping orders placed in May, so it will be January. That was two months ago. Now its ETA is April. I could go on and on.

One thing I've noticed in the last year or two is a lot more shooters are joining the ranks and a lot of them are young with no or limited life experiences and have a sense of urgency and entitlement. They have no sense of the real world and how it works. They have no clue how supply and demand economies work and no clue how the supply chain for a manufactured product works.

If a company takes back orders, people whine about the lead times and constant delays. If a company doesn't take back orders, people whine about them not taking back orders or a waiting list and constantly inquire about expected in stock dates. Just can't win these days. No matter what you do you will piss off a customer and lose them.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

GM
    I stay away from Cabelas.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

How about this for perspective. Say you tell your boss you will have something done by next week. Then next week you tell him, no, I've not done it yet, it will be the next week. That week gets here, and you tell the boss, well, I think it will be next month. Think you will still have a job?

Substitute customer for boss? Get me now?
    Your analogy is apples to oranges because in your analogy you, the employee, have control over whether you do the job or not. If doing the job requires you getting a product from someone else that is only manufactured by one supplier and that supplier can't deliver the product, can you still do your job? No. Your boss may get mad at you and fire you just as you may get mad at Cabela's and not buy from them but that doesn't make it your or their fault. They can't deliver what they can't get.

Not really a good analogy, but I understand the dynamics of the situation. I deal with the same customers so I see things from both sides. I have back orders for new 10mm and .380 brass I ordered back in October that was supposed to be a 4 week delivery. It's now March and the lead time is still "a few weeks or so". So I've been forwarding that to my customers. They get fed up, cancel, sale lost, customer lost. Put an order in for 150,000 CCI primers in June 2009. 12 week lead time. December says they are just shipping orders placed in May, so it will be January. That was two months ago. Now its ETA is April. I could go on and on.

One thing I've noticed in the last year or two is a lot more shooters are joining the ranks and a lot of them are young with no or limited life experiences and have a sense of urgency and entitlement. They have no sense of the real world and how it works. They have no clue how supply and demand economies work and no clue how the supply chain for a manufactured product works.

If a company takes back orders, people whine about the lead times and constant delays. If a company doesn't take back orders, people whine about them not taking back orders or a waiting list and constantly inquire about expected in stock dates. Just can't win these days. No matter what you do you will piss off a customer and lose them.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I love Cabelas for all of my out door buying EXCEPT OUT OF STOCK AMMO!!!! My back order date for Honady .380 CD is April and I am still waiting for it!

The estimate is required by law.
    It's only required if they let you go ahead and place an order for it. If they didn't,they could show it out of stock all day without an estimate of when it would be in.

VIP Member
    No matter what you do you will piss off a customer and lose them.
    I agree 100% with that.

Look, I've been a long long VERY long time Cabela's customer. I liked shopping at Cabelas, and have been pleased with them up until the past year. I've had other negative experiences with orders in the past 6 months that have led to my recent opinion/rating of their performance. However, those orders are not ammo related, and not relevant to this discussion.

But like we always used to say, you can do 99 things right, but the one order that goes bad...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Your analogy is apples to oranges because in your analogy you, the employee, have control over whether you do the job or not. If doing the job requires you getting a product from someone else that is only manufactured by one supplier and that supplier can't deliver the product, can you still do your job? No. Your boss may get mad at you and fire you just as you may get mad at Cabela's and not buy from them but that doesn't make it your or their fault. They can't deliver what they can't get.

Hoss
    Do you work for Cabela's by chance Hoss? Just checking.

Apples, oranges, grapes, who cares. The fact is that a company of Cabelas size and resources has a very good idea of their inventory run rates, as well as suppliers performance and ability to meet the delivery commitment dates. You can make the argument the emails add value and doing the customer a favor by keeping them informed. I can make the argument the process of showing one set of dates, accepting the order, and providing additional updates where the dates continue to slip is a calculated marketing move to keep orders in the queue. I choose to believe Cabelas knows up front the delivery will not take place for months, but would rather accept orders. I am sure the marketing folks have calculated the percentages of customer orders that will cancel vs. the customers that will continue to hold on indifinitely, and how long that tail really is.

I seriously doubt that.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I've never had trouble with them even with standard shipping my ammo got here in 5 days, I usually only buy when they have free shipping specials.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links