Cabelas Horrible

This is a discussion on Cabelas Horrible within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ctr Do you work for Cabela's by chance Hoss? Just checking. Apples, oranges, grapes, who cares. The fact is that a company ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Horrible

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Do you work for Cabela's by chance Hoss? Just checking.

Apples, oranges, grapes, who cares. The fact is that a company of Cabelas size and resources has a very good idea of their inventory run rates, as well as suppliers performance and ability to meet the delivery commitment dates. You can make the argument the emails add value and doing the customer a favor by keeping them informed. I can make the argument the process of showing one set of dates, accepting the order, and providing additional updates where the dates continue to slip is a calculated marketing move to keep orders in the queue. I choose to believe Cabelas knows up front the delivery will not take place for months, but would rather accept orders. I am sure the marketing folks have calculated the percentages of customer orders that will cancel vs. the customers that will continue to hold on indifinitely, and how long that tail really is.
    No I don't work for them. Closest one to me is 130+ miles so don't even get there very often. Don't know anyone who works for them. But I am in business and I get a little defensive when someone blames any business for circumstances beyond their control. I especially don't think it's right to call a business "deceptive and shameful " because they can't get a product.

Have you looked at a full Cabela's catalog lately? Do you really think ammunition is such a huge part of their business that they'd risk losing customers by providing false delivery dates? In the scheme of their business, I'd bet ammunition is such a small part of it that it's more of a headache than it's worth. Cabela's didn't create the ammo shortage. If you don't want to buy from them, don't. It will make it easier for me to get stuff from them. And that's the end for me. I'm done with this.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Do you work for Cabela's by chance Hoss? Just checking.

Apples, oranges, grapes, who cares. The fact is that a company of Cabelas size and resources has a very good idea of their inventory run rates, as well as suppliers performance and ability to meet the delivery commitment dates.
    Really? Even Walmart (the biggest company, way bigger than Cabelas) can not escape the ammo shortages, pushed back dates, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    Really? Even Walmart (the biggest company, way bigger than Cabelas) can not escape the ammo shortages, pushed back dates, etc.
    I can only speak about my own experiences with Cabela's, Midway, Graf and Sons etc...

At one time or another they all have stocking problems and cannot fill my orders. I plan on this and try to never deplete my supplies to where I run out. When I do and there is a problem getting brass, powder, primers and the like I am forced to go on a backorder list or a notify when in stock list. After 40 years in the retail pharmacy profession I realize STUFF happens and I just have to bite the bullet (even if I have no more-LOL).

I would rather be on a list and be placed in a queue, even if the expected in stock date changes, than have to constantly call or go online to verify if products are in stock.

I am now backordered on several items from several sites and will be happy when big brown finally arrives.

The above listed suppiers have served me well over the years and I will continue to deal with them.

OMO

bosco

This is rather interesting. I order stuff from cabelas online all the time and have always received what was advertised and shown in stock on time. Maybe this is just with the ammo as I've never ordered any ammo from them. Hmmm...Glad to know.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    FWIW, I used to buy ammo online from Cabela's with no problem.

To spare you the detail, after the last miserable transaction, I won't be ordering from there again.

'Just another data point for you.

Which is next to useless due to lack of detail.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    .30-30 in stock at time of order.

The next day, I receive an email stating that it's on back order.

3 months later, it's still on back order, but they send an email that they have 'similary quality, but different manufacturer of .30-06' that they'd like to subsitute. The email doesn't allow for replies, so I have to call. I even have to explain why you can't shoot .30-06 out of a .30-30 rifle. I cancel the order.

A few weeks later, I get another email asking to substitute another brand for the order that I previously cancelled. All the while they have my credit card number, so I have to stay on top of this. I'm done w/them.

BTW, those are some great people skills that you have there, Tubby.

If you walked in my shoes, you'd have the same opinion that I do.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    The only time I ever ordered ammo from Cabelas was last year when everyone had supply problems. I just took the backorder delay for what it was. I haven't ordered from them recently. I've purchased from Midway before and it was a good experience. I just placed a large bulk order for 7.62x39, 40sw, 38spl, 12ga, and 30-30 this afternoon from Ammo To Go for the first time. Apart from seeing sales tax pop up at checkout (I didn't realize they were in Texas--my fault for not checking), no surprises. Even with tax and shipping, it was still cheaper than others out there. We'll see how the order turns out.
    As a follow-up, I received my order from Ammuntion to Go today. Ordered at 6pm on Wednesday, shipped yesterday, delivered today (granted it was in-state). Prices were very good, shipping reasonable, and everything I needed was in stock. I'll just look at the in-state sales tax in Texas as the cost for "overnight delivery"!

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Cabela's has always been good for me.....however I understand the backordered ammo stuff quite well. I just try to catch the in-store specials when they have them.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    Cabela's has always been good for me.....however I understand the backordered ammo stuff quite well. I just try to catch the in-store specials when they have them.
    The closest store is 8 hours from me. That is a long haul just to visit. But I do enjoy living in a less crowded area, so no regrets there.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I can only speak about my own experiences with Cabela's, Midway, Graf and Sons etc...

At one time or another they all have stocking problems and cannot fill my orders. I plan on this and try to never deplete my supplies to where I run out.
    Same here, I keep a good supply on hand, so I always have orders going in. I do understand the current demand, and the back order process. But I don't care for the way Cabelas handles it.

I like Cabela's, and have had problems like everyone else.

I ordered some .223 fmj bullets back in April and they arrived in Dec.

I learned that they seem to have two separate wharehouse systems or somethin, because I have had stuff on catalog backorder for a month and walked in the store and found it on the shelf. Go figure.

The ammo/reloading supply situation is just so far out of control that I can't understand it and would imagine that Cabela's can't either.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Cabelas is a fair and just company. They have no control over how fast manufactures can spit out product. They have no control over how much demand customers put on product.
    The manufactures are pretty much running around the clock. More money in their pockets. Big companies like Cabelas get high demand from customers and high priority from manufactures.
    The problem is increased interest in firearms. The more people interested in firearms the more secure we all are in ensuring that we will be able to continue shooting. That is a win - win. Watch the market. Plan ahead.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've always had great luck at Cabelas online. If its not in stock, I don't order it. If it is in stock, I call to place my order to be sure. There prices are good; bargin cave is the best.

I am lucky enough to have one near by. They always seem to have the ammo I need sitting on the shelf, even self defense ammo. I've also purchased many firearms through Cabelas. I always seem to find firearms that are priced better than gun shows.

Example: 2005 Marlin model 336 .30-30; purchased used for $300 OTD! This rifle was close to looking new, even came with a $199 scope and leather sling.

Heck, I'm going to Cabelas today, the kids love going because of the fish tanks and stuffed animals.

Good Luck!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links