Cabelas Horrible

This is a discussion on Cabelas Horrible within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've about had it with Cabelas ammo sales. They continue to advertise ammo deals in bulk, but keep my small ammo order on backorder for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Horrible

VIP Member

Thumbs down Cabelas Horrible

I've about had it with Cabelas ammo sales. They continue to advertise ammo deals in bulk, but keep my small ammo order on backorder for over a month.

Cabelas won't tell you up front that the bulk ammo deals are on back order. You have to waste your time adding an item to the cart before they will tell you they don't have it.

When Cabelas does tell you they don't have it, they give you a bogus expected shipment date. Then the emails keep coming with "updated dates" that somehow never seem to get there for months.

Even better, Cabelas sometimes just cancels the order because they can't get the stock in. No options, no asking if they can do anything else for you, just an unpleasant note that the order was canceled, no explanation as to why.

Cabelas practices are deceptive and shameful in my opinion, and I think there are better choices out there.

Midway does a good job of indicating in stock/out of stock, as does Cheaper Than Dirt.

Well guess what Cabelas, I ordered from Ammo To Go. It is my first order experience with this outfit, but you have set the bar pretty low in my eyes.

2. Remove Ads

In my experience, ATG is the best I have used. Natchez, and Palmetto
    State Armory are really about as good. It just seems that ATG gets it to the doorstep a little faster. Have had no glitches yet with either of the three.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I've had the same experience. I love Cabelas for in-store shopping, not such a fan online for this reason.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I've about had it with Cabelas ammo sales. They continue to advertise ammo deals in bulk, but keep my small ammo order on backorder for over a month.

Cabelas won't tell you up front that the bulk ammo deals are on back order. You have to waste your time adding an item to the cart before they will tell you they don't have it.
    I have never had a problem with a Cabela's order, in dozens of orders over the past ~6yrs or so.

Yes, the web site does operate in the manner you indicate, in which the "in stock" or "backordered" indicator isn't displayed until you actually click on the item to place it into the basket, at which point it notifies of the backorder and asks what you want to do. I don't view it as a waste of time so much as simply how the site works.

By comparison, the CheaperThanDirt web site visually alters the <click> icon for placing an order for an item, if it's backordered. A bit quicker, sure. Though, neither seems a "waste" of time.

What I have not yet experienced is an order for ammo being erroneously advertised as in stock, only to end up with it being backordered for weeks. Not from Cabela's, CheaperThanDirt, ATG or several others.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've only ordered one thing from their website, a pistol safe. Arrived in pretty good time, no complaints. I'll have to keep this in mind though when I get back to the mainland and ordering ammo on the internet is actually an option...

Try Sportman's Guide for ammo. Once you join the club and start getting the 10.00 off coupons they become a good source. I also think Ammo to go is great.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    Try Sportman's Guide for ammo. Once you join the club and start getting the 10.00 off coupons they become a good source. I also think Ammo to go is great.
    Like everywhere else, most of their range ammo is on backorder.

11 months

I've had 2 boxes of Federal Hydroshock on backorder with Cabelas now for... and I'm not exaggerating.... 11 months.

At this point it's not about getting the ammo... Its about seeing how long they're going to do this to me.

-Patrick

I'd strongly recommend you guy who don't reload start buying ammo by the case instead of a box at a time. You'll save a ton.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member

Check Beater Business Bureau

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I've about had it with Cabalas ammo sales. They continue to advertise ammo deals in bulk, but keep my small ammo order on backorder for over a month.

When Cabelas does tell you they don't have it, they give you a bogus expected shipment date. Then the emails keep coming with "updated dates" that somehow never seem to get there for months.

Even better, Cabelas sometimes just cancels the order because they can't get the stock in. No options, no asking if they can do anything else for you, just an unpleasant note that the order was canceled, no explanation as to why.

Cabelas practices are deceptive and shameful in my opinion, and I think there are better choices out there.

Midway does a good job of indicating in stock/out of stock, as does Cheaper Than Dirt.

Well guess what Cabelas, I ordered from Ammo To Go. It is my first order experience with this outfit, but you have set the bar pretty low in my eyes.

You can see how they are doing. Here is an article about the new BBB rating system.

A year later, St. Louis Better Business Bureau calls revised company grading system a hit - STLtoday.com
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member

Range Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    Like everywhere else, most of their range ammo is on backorder.
    Not everywhere.

Yes I sell exotic ammo too but have little in stock right now.

I have a fair supply of 9mm luger.40 S&W, and some flat nose Winchester 45 auto as of today.

What you see on my website is always in stock.

Stock is updated every thirty minutes on the website during the day.

I also use other distributors for what I do not warehouse. Normally, I can get what a customer wants in a few days at most.

No, I have no .380.

I recommend you buy in quantity. (10) 50 round boxes will normally not exceed $10-12 for shipping. I only charge what it costs me.

www.gunsandsupply.com
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I had primers on order for about 6 months and then was cancelled. I'll shop elsewhere.

midway....... has changed it in stock date too many times to count from Dec 2 2009 ...... monday was suppose to be here march 3rd now its later...... why put a date if you really dont know when your going to get it...... if mfg are saying the date well they should know by now after 3 months that they really dont know.

jmho
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Sportsman Guide has done me the same way. Order several items, including ammo. When I get the package,,, no ammo, & an estimated shipment date. Once, I just left the ammo on backorder & after 6 months, I cancelled. TIP= NOW, I call them & make them see for sure it IS in stock & promise the shipment without back-ordering.

Distinguished Member
    I like Cabela's but have never ordred ammo from there.

I've been using Midway and especially their email notification you can sign up for when product comes in so I can log on right away and order it.

I've also ordered from ATG with no issues and recently from Ammoman.com and all his prices include shipping. Got here in 3 business days.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links