Anyone know anything about bitterroot ammo

This is a discussion on Anyone know anything about bitterroot ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is listed on Cheaper than dirt. AMM-3324 - Ammo .38 Special BVAC, JHP, 125 Grain, 50 Round Box 1050 fps The page does not ...

Thread: Anyone know anything about bitterroot ammo

Anyone know anything about bitterroot ammo

This is listed on Cheaper than dirt.

AMM-3324 - Ammo .38 Special BVAC, JHP, 125 Grain, 50 Round Box 1050 fps

The page does not say it's +P but I noticed it's listed at 1050 FPS.

That seems high for standard load 38 special.

Has anyone ever tried this ammo? Is it +P. For the price I would love to use it for range ammo but my gun isn't rated +P and I dont want to shoot a lot of high pressure stuff through it.

I may be sorry I linked to this because it will probably be sold out in a few hours now.

2. Remove Ads

I use AA#5 in some of my 38spl loads and it can be used in both regular 38spl and 38spl+P.

WITH 125GR. JHP's

The MAXIMUM load for regular 38spl is 7.8grains giving a muzzle vel. of 1053fps

The loads given for +P start at the same 7.8grains and go up to 8.1 grains of powder giving a muz.vel. of 1098fps.

Not a big difference between the two velocities. 45fps. but i guess it depends a lot on the powder used and the pressure it develops as to whether it is +P or not.

OMO

bosco

BVAC is good stuff. They are a quasi-connected to the ATK family.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Thanks

Bosco and Tubby, thanks for the replies. I guess then the other question is, why does no one else make any standard 38 special that goes higher than 950 FPS. Is it just a safety factor thing?

Even the heavy load Buffalo Bore I carry is only listed at 960 FPS. I guess Only isn't right. I still wouldn't want to stand in front of any 38 Special load, even the mild cowboy loads at 650 FPS are really going to "Leave a mark".

My guess is the BVAC test barrel is longer than the standard barrel used by Buffalo Bore.

Buffalo Bore and other high velocity companies cater to a small sector of the market. The bulk of consumers simply don't want the load they are offering and are quite satisfied with the standard pressure loads that are common.

Increasing velocity increases recoil and most shooters can barely hold a respectable group with standard ammunition. Increasing velocity and recoil only deters accuracy unless the shooter dedicates the time and money to master the load. Quite simply most ammunition is developed for accuracy and shooting comfort as more ammunition is expended at paper targets casually than in hunting or defense situations. This is the reason why I only load and sell FMJ range type ammunition. I sell far more medium range FMJ ammo than suped up defense loads, so I focus on medium range loads. The only "full power" load I sell is the 10mm load, which is true 10mm velocity and not watered down fodder.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    My guess is the BVAC test barrel is longer than the standard barrel used by Buffalo Bore.
    I agree with Tubby. Look at the results at Ballistics By The Inch. I believe all their tested ammo is +P rated but just look at the difference from a 2" barrel to an 8" barrel on up to an 18" barrel. Without knowing what kind of system was used for testing by BVAC (actual revolver, pressure barrel, closed breech firearm, etc.) it's hard to put too much emphasis on the numbers presented.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I just bough 1K of there 9mm rounds and have been VERY happy. The prices was 169 per 1,000. Good quality ammo.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post

Buffalo Bore and other high velocity companies cater to a small sector of the market. The bulk of consumers simply don't want the load they are offering and are quite satisfied with the standard pressure loads that are common.

Increasing velocity increases recoil and most shooters can barely hold a respectable group with standard ammunition. Increasing velocity and recoil only deters accuracy unless the shooter dedicates the time and money to master the load. Quite simply most ammunition is developed for accuracy and shooting comfort as more ammunition is expended at paper targets casually than in hunting or defense situations. This is the reason why I only load and sell FMJ range type ammunition. I sell far more medium range FMJ ammo than suped up defense loads, so I focus on medium range loads. The only "full power" load I sell is the 10mm load, which is true 10mm velocity and not watered down fodder.
    I was thinking the same thing. I know that Buffalo Bore says they use actual guns, (in particular 2" barrels not test barrels) for their results.

I think I will place a small order of the BVAC stuff and see how I like it.

Links