Hornandy TAP .223/5.56 ammo

This is a discussion on Hornandy TAP .223/5.56 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use this ammo? The price is what got my attention and I know Hornandy is a very well respected ammo producer. The box states, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornandy TAP .223/5.56 ammo

Anyone use this ammo? The price is what got my attention and I know Hornandy is a very well respected ammo producer. The box states, "training," but I'm not exactly sure what that means. How would training ammo differ from any other? They say there are no dumb questions but this question may be the exception to that rule!

Ammunition To Go : 1000rds - .223 Hornady TAP Training 55gr. FMJ Ammo [9754EL] - $269.95

2. Remove Ads

Steel cased, nonreloadable. That's why. Shoot once, leave brass on the ground, go on with life. Designed for a single use casing when you just shoot a lot at a time such as LE training, carbine class, or machine gun shoots.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Gotcha. That makes sense, thanks. Not a bad price if you're not going to reload.

Would this ammo be carry worthy or would it only be good for practice? And why? Yes I can be a dummy...

Think of this load as Wolf steel cased ammo but made with the quality of Hornady components. This load would be fine for defense and SHTF. Buy a case, load up some stripper clips, pack in the closet. This ammo is good for anything else the M193 clone 55gr FMJ bullet load is used for. The only difference is the steel case lowers the price and it's nonreloadable. It will feed, fire, function just the same.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I read that Wolf ammunition will void the warranty on my AR (CMMG) so I contacted their technical support area regarding this particular ammo. Unfortunately for me, any steel case ammo voids the warranty.

I really wouldn't be concerned with a warranty on an AR15. It's a lego gun that is very easy to fix and very affordable parts are readily available. Every gun I've owned in the past 5 years has never had a single factory round through it. I've handloaded every round they've shot.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

It doesn't seem to me that these rounds fragment on impact like the Law Enforcement/Military rounds do - that is the most important distinction I see here. They are designed to provide the same ballistics as the tactical rounds without the cost. These appear to be fine for practice purpose, but I would NOT use them for self defense. Get 60 rounds of a quality Hollow Point or Soft Point.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by David in MI View Post

The box states, "training," but I'm not exactly sure what that means.
    I've used the Hornady TAP brass cartridges. Bar none, these are the most accurate rounds I have used in both a Savage 12 (with the 55gr .223), and a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (with the 95gr .243 Win). In the .223, I have also used Hornady's moly-coated rounds, which also proved highly accurate in the Savage 12. All were highly reliable and smooth cycling.

$269 per 1000 is a great price, though, which is about half the price of most 1K cases of .223 you find these days. I'm no .223 expert, but so long as the steel cases work well in your rifle then I think it sounds great.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    It doesn't seem to me that these rounds fragment on impact like the Law Enforcement/Military rounds do - that is the most important distinction I see here. They are designed to provide the same ballistics as the tactical rounds without the cost. These appear to be fine for practice purpose, but I would NOT use them for self defense. Get 60 rounds of a quality Hollow Point or Soft Point.
    Umm, it's the Hornady 55gr FMJBT w/c, same as their other other .223 ammo. The only difference is the steel case. I guarantee this will frag. It's the same exact bullet.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Dang it! Nice price! I am buying a 1k case right now. that will bring me up to 2k rounds for my Ruger SR-556. Sweet! I love this forum~~~~!

*edit...done deal now!

Products
    ------------------------------------------------------
    1 x 1000rds - .223 Hornady TAP Training 55gr. FMJ Ammo (9754EL) = $269.95
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub-Total: $269.95
    United Parcel Service (XML) (1 pkg) (UPS Ground, 2010-03-12): $31.08
    Shipping Insurance: $1.95
    Total: $302.98
    Last edited by krag; March 5th, 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: show purchase of topic

Krag: Have you used much steel cased ammo in your 556?

Recently picked up the Ruger and was considering this deal to have a good amount of training ammo around. If you have, how has reliability been?

los
    H. Tap enhanced my 15T's accuracy to .5 MOA,..consistently..!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    Krag: Have you used much steel cased ammo in your 556?

Recently picked up the Ruger and was considering this deal to have a good amount of training ammo around. If you have, how has reliability been?
    No, I have not. I have only ran about 400 rounds thru it so far and 200 have been Walmart .223 brass from UMC. The other has been Russian brown bear steel case from ammunition-to-go. I will be shooting about 200 - 300 rounds thru it tomorrow. I have 500 NATO 556 (saving) and 400 Russian left along with another 100 Wally brass. Gonna be a nice day tomorrow.

BTW, I still have not cleaned it. It's not very dirty. The chrome bolt is nice and shiny and I love the gas-piston~~~~!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I really wouldn't be concerned with a warranty on an AR15. It's a lego gun that is very easy to fix and very affordable parts are readily available. Every gun I've owned in the past 5 years has never had a single factory round through it. I've handloaded every round they've shot.
    Mine too and we shoot reloaded ammo thru my buddys M16,like tubby said if something breaks it's an easy fix,unless something goes kaboom,Saw what happens to an M16A1 in the military when you pull the trigger on a live round after a squib that wasn't cleared,can you say whole new upper
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links