Herter's Brand Ammo

This is a discussion on Herter's Brand Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cabela's has a brand of ammo called Herter's. Has anyone shot this stuff? Thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herter's Brand Ammo

Herter's Brand Ammo

Cabela's has a brand of ammo called Herter's. Has anyone shot this stuff? Thanks.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    Cabela's has a brand of ammo called Herter's. Has anyone shot this stuff? Thanks.
    Cabela's has acquired the Herter's name and is using it on rifle ammo manufactured at the Tula plant in Russia. It is not re-branded Wolf ammo; Wolf is manufactured in another plant in another city.

I have some in .308 and it is typical dirty Russian ammo, but it shoots just fine and is reasonable accurate, at least in my converted M1. Same deal for the .223 in my Mini14.

I don't know about the origin of the pistol ammo, but it's probably the same deal.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

CMR
    Can't really help ya but its a steel case and I don't use steel casing in any of my guns. A couple broken extractors does that to ya.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Cabela's has acquired the Herter's name and is using it on rifle ammo manufactured at the Tula plant in Russia. It is not re-branded Wolf ammo; Wolf is manufactured in another plant in another city.

I have some in .308 and it is typical dirty Russian ammo, but it shoots just fine and is reasonable accurate, at least in my converted M1. Same deal for the .223 in my Mini14.

I don't know about the origin of the pistol ammo, but it's probably the same deal.
    Really, Well I was looking at one of the Cabela's adds and you can see the Wolf head stamp on one of the rounds. Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. I've, and still occasionally use Wolf ammo an other than being dirty have never had an issue, so I'll continue to do so. I just don't think that it should be advertised as something it's not, if that is in fact the case.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Really, Well I was looking at one of the Cabela's adds and you can see the Wolf head stamp on one of the rounds. Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. I've, and still occasionally use Wolf ammo an other than being dirty have never had an issue, so I'll continue to do so. I just don't think that it should be advertised as something it's not, if that is in fact the case.
    That was the first photo mockups. All the rifle ammo I have seen, plus what I have in hand has Tula on the headstamps. I really don't pay attention to what's in photos when I have the actual product in hand. :)

I can't comment on the pistol ammo.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have read bad reviews on Herters on this forum. I remember reading something about there being some sort of wax or residue from the bullets that can dirty up your gun. but I have never used any Herters so I am no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I have read bad reviews on Herters on this forum. I remember reading something about there being some sort of wax or residue from the bullets that can dirty up your gun. but I have never used any Herters so I am no expert.
    What you are referring to is the long-since-replaced coating on the steel cases. There's no coating on any of the Russian-made bullets themselves. The original coating on the cases did cause problems for folks too lazy to clean their guns or machine-gunned their AR clones. That coating was replaces with a polymer coating a couple of years ago and the so-called problems disappeared.

FWIW, I have not read any complaints about Herter's-branded ammo on this site. There's a lot of non-substanciated BS floating around the Internet.

That was the first photo mockups. All the rifle ammo I have seen, plus what I have in hand has Tula on the headstamps. I really don't pay attention to what's in photos when I have the actual product in hand. :)

I can't comment on the pistol ammo.
    Good to know, I've never had an issue with Wolf actually shoot it in my commie guns, Figure they know what works best in guns they designed. Just didn't like the feeling of "false advertising" I'm sure they figured nobody would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Good to know, I've never had an issue with Wolf actually shoot it in my commie guns, Figure they know what works best in guns they designed. Just didn't like the feeling of "false advertising" I'm sure they figured nobody would notice.
    I never gave a thought to "false advertising"; they just used what was at hand for the photo mockup, is my thought. If someone had turned the case head about 20 degrees, the "discussion" would have never have arisen.

I never gave a thought to "false advertising"; they just used what was at hand for the photo mockup, is my thought. If someone had turned the case head about 20 degrees, the "discussion" would have never have arisen.
    Awww it the conspiracy theorist in me I'm sure.

I took a chance and bought three "sardine cans" of Herter's 7.62x39 for my AK47. It seems fine, I went through 3, 30 round magazines without a misfire. I haven't tried any pistol ammo but like all russian steel case ammo, it's cheap and it sends a chunk of lead at the bad guys. I guess I would use it on the battle field but probably not in my CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Can't really help ya but its a steel case and I don't use steel casing in any of my guns. A couple broken extractors does that to ya.

+1.

russian steel case ammo is garbage for many reasons. my gunsmith has seen several guns kaboom on the range from double charged wolf.

Herter's = Wolf in sheep's clothing

Herters casing stuck in chamber of AR15 yesterday. Had a hell of a time getting it out. Not sure of cause yet.

I've tried it in 9,40, & 45. Cleaner than Wolf. No malfunctions. Nice price too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links