Who else does this when buying ammo? - Page 2

Who else does this when buying ammo?

This is a discussion on Who else does this when buying ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do sometimes. Like last week when I bought my first box of 9x18 Makarov ammo. I'm still waiting for the gun itself to arrive. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who else does this when buying ammo?

I do sometimes. Like last week when I bought my first box of 9x18 Makarov ammo. I'm still waiting for the gun itself to arrive. Hopefully Monday. (Shoulda been here Friday...)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I check inside to make sure they are all there, kind of like a dozen eggs. Then I flinch a little when I look at the price tag.
    Dito for my self.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Definitely, especially since most ammo sales are final. Shotgun shells and .22 I let slide but everything else I give a quick visual before purchase. I pull the tray from the sleeve and look for a uniform pattern. It's usually pretty obvious when one thing is not like the others such as corrosion or mis-seated primers. I also make sure they are the caliber listed on the box. I will also pull a random bullet and make sure the slug looks okay. You're only taking 15-20 seconds a box and I haven't had anyone get annoyed yet. I'm doing this mainly because it goes through a lot of hands by the time it gets to the shelves so you never know. It saves you from a lot of potential hassle, just like clearing a gun every time you pick it up before you clean it even when you know its already clear.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I open the boxes because its not often that I see ammo anymore LOL
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I always do it and when I started to do it at Wally World yesterday the guy told me I can't do it. He said it was the store policy.

About the only time I open a box is if it's something I've never seen before. I don't check for primer seating, bullet crimp, OAL or anything else of that nature.

The only issue I have ever had with factory ammo was some off-brand .22 LR about 20 years ago. With the exception of some failures to feed on the part of very flat-nose JHP rounds, virtually every case of "ammo problems" that I have seen people have could be traced back to the firearm itself, generally one that has been poorly maintained and cleaned.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I definitely check SD ammo, each and every round. Practice ammo, not so much.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I'm another who opens the box, mostly to look at the primers. I have found several "factory" rounds missing primers, one with no primer hole cut into the case, and one with no extractor groove.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I don't inspect them I just like to fondle them
    Hahaha, me to. You should have seen me with the .380 WWB I found at Wally World yesterday.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

No.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

Mic
    wow, I do that too, kinda like checking my change to make sure I didn't get any of that worthless Canadian money :)
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'm another who opens the box, mostly to look at the primers. I have found several "factory" rounds missing primers, one with no primer hole cut into the case, and one with no extractor groove.
    Bummer. Never had that experience.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I'm glad I'm on not the only one. I attracted the attention of the loss prevention guys at Bass Pro by doing it one day. I usually check for corrosion.

I do check inside the box for missing cartridges, damaged or badly seated primers etc. anything that doesn't look quite right when I buy target ammo from WalMart or the local gun shop. I buy all of my premium self-defense ammo online so there is no way to check before purchasing and I have never had a problem with "ammunitiontogo".

Yeah, I'll open the box before I purchase them, right in front of the store employee. Just like buying a new pair of jeans. Only makes sense to me. Buyer beware, and all that.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links