Who else does this when buying ammo?

This is a discussion on Who else does this when buying ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to make sure I'm not the weird one here... but when you buy ammo at the store, do you open the box and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who else does this when buying ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Who else does this when buying ammo?

I wanted to make sure I'm not the weird one here... but when you buy ammo at the store, do you open the box and examine the bullets themselves, even though you already know whats inside based on the box?

What exactly are you looking for when you do this? I quite often find myself looking at the bullets but never know why I do. It's not like they are eggs or something. It's just a weird thing I do I guess

How about you. What are you looking for generally?

2. Remove Ads

haha im not the only one, i also like to open the boxes on the rare calibers and check them out.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

CMR
    I open up the boxes also. I mainly check out the primers. Had a box of Winchester White box target ammo that the primers weren't seated all the way.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

I never have... But now I'm probably gonna start.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I never do on a regular basis,but on the rare occassion I may open a box to look at the bullet type if it's for hunting or self defense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A quick glance will tell you if there is an "odd man out" in the bunch. Look at primers, are they all sealed and seated? are the bullet setbacks even? Everything look ok (non corroded etc)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

I check inside to make sure they are all there, kind of like a dozen eggs. Then I flinch a little when I look at the price tag.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I don't check ammo when I purchase it, but always before I load it. This isn't too hard with individually loaded rounds, but imperative with linked ammo.

I once saw the after effects of not inspecting ammo for a squad assault course.

For those unfamiliar, linked 7.62mm NATO ammo comes in sealed little white boxes that attach to the gun. In this case, the box was marked as blank ammo, and the first rounds pulled were blank. Somewhere in the belt, ball ammo had been mixed in. No one was injured but the barrel (and blank adapter) was NMC.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If feasible, I look defensive ammo over very carefully. If it is sitting out on a shelf, accessible to shoppers, I REALLY look it over carefully. I have found individual cartridges missing from boxes, and a 10mm Black Talon inside a box of .45 ACP of another brand.

I have been very lucky with high primers - none. I have found several collapsed case mouths.

I give them a look over, thought I was the only one... I am mostly looking to see that the bullet type is the same as listed on the box and primer seating.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

It seems all the stores around here post "Do not open ammo boxes" every few feet on the shelf AND they watch like hawks.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I've purchased thousands and thousands of rounds during the last few years. I've not bothered to open a box of a thousand rounds to check anything. A single box I check, and I don't even know why. I've never had a bad shell, ever. If I did have a problem, my gun shop would make it good.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I wanted to make sure I'm not the weird one here... but when you buy ammo at the store, do you open the box and examine the bullets themselves, even though you already know whats inside based on the box?
    Sure.

It's almost certain that the stated brand/model of ammo is in there. That's not the point.

What I'm looking for is to confirm the shape of the ogive and OAL as compared to a perfect specimen I have brought with me, how tight the crimp is and whether the crimp's "lip" is sticking out too much for the intended guns.

In my experience, pistols tend to be a little finicky with respect to ammo. OAL (length), the shape of the ogive and the crimp "lip" specifically can be critical characteristics. So, I bring one bullet from my own stash that has worked perfectly in the past, and I compare.

I only do this with ammo I am unfamiliar with. Once done, I don't ever need to do it again. I also try only to do it with ammo I am very likely to purchase, given the potential to weaken/deform the box. If the visual confirms it matches what I thought and doesn't have issues with the crimp lip, then I typically purchase the box.

Why do it? In ~70Krds over 18yrs, I've only had a few bad ones from factory boxes. The problems wouldn't likely have been found during checking the ammo at the store anyway. Still, hunting for defects isn't my purpose; confirming it's what I thought is my purpose. The testing occurs on the range and via measurement.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I don't inspect them I just like to fondle them

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I don't inspect them I just like to fondle them
    We understand, with the dry spell we've had... it's nice to see some again. LMAO.

I check a sample of them ... for all of the above reasons. I have seen boxes at times I wouldn't take, and took a different box after looking at them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links