Federal .40 135 gr. JHP

This is a discussion on Federal .40 135 gr. JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Majorlk Why? The mechanics of loading .40 S&W is no different than any other round. If you use loading data from published ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal .40 135 gr. JHP

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Why? The mechanics of loading .40 S&W is no different than any other round. If you use loading data from published loading manuals (not something you read on some Internet forum) there will be no more problem than loading any other round.

There is nothing magical about loading for it, nor reason to be afraid of it.
    Your right there is nothing magical but room for error is much greater, and the pressures are much higher relating to other cartridges.
    I use lyman and Speer reloading manuals, so I'm okay in that department.

The COAL margin is very small I think the min is 1.08 in my Lyman manual, and max is 1.135. Thats not a lot of wiggle room on COAL, in my book, compared to a 9mm or a .45. I've now loaded about 2000 .40's so I'm warming up to it.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ticman View Post
    It's the Federal 135 HST's and they are rated at 1200FPS.
    IMO you can not do better than HST. Consistent reliable expansion no matter what you shot it into or through. There are several great threads about it here. If you like I can repost some of the links to LEO reports comparing HST against other popular SD ammo
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Your right there is nothing magical but room for error is much greater, and the pressures are much higher relating to other cartridges.
    I use lyman and Speer reloading manuals, so I'm okay in that department.

The COAL margin is very small I think the min is 1.08 in my Lyman manual, and max is 1.135. Thats not a lot of wiggle room on COAL, in my book, compared to a 9mm or a .45. I've now loaded about 2000 .40's so I'm warming up to it.
    I think you meant to say the room for error is much smaller. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I think you meant to say the room for error is much smaller. :)
    Sure
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have a butt ton of .40 cal. hydra shock 165 and 180, and gold dot 180. I did have a 20rd box of the 135 and since I don't typically carry that light a load, I went a head and fired it off and compared to my 165 and 180 gr rounds. I really didn't notice a big different in recoil in the P99 but I did in the PPS. This was probably due to the shorter barrel. Accuracy wise, I did notice a slightly better grouping with the 135 at 23ft. 20 rounds (10 rounds P99 and 10 rounds PPS) is to small a sample for a accurate comparison though.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    IMO you can not do better than HST. Consistent reliable expansion no matter what you shot it into or through. There are several great threads about it here. If you like I can repost some of the links to LEO reports comparing HST against other popular SD ammo
    Post 'em up Rider.

I'd like to take a gander.

Dirty

Here are the links I posted on another thread. Federal HST by far out performed every other bullet I have seen and studied. No matter what they are shot through or into they are the most consistent performing and expanding round available.
    This first set are downloadable PDF files. In the spirit of full disclosure these test were conducted by LEO at the indicated LEO facilities. The participating ammo manufactures supplied the ammo and sponsored the tests. These files/ reports are provided by Federal from their website. Because they were done at LEO facilities by LEO with competing manufactures present I think that these test results are unbiased accurate and objective. As it turned out these results are pretty much the same as the low tech water jug and wet newspaper tests I did on my own.

Los Angeles County - California
    Riverside - California
    Santa Clara - California
    Fresno County - California
    Kern County - California
    Sacramento County - California
    San Angelo - Texas
    Pierce County Workshop - Washington
    San Diego County Workshop - California
    Portland Police Bureau - Oregon

The following are links to pages with pics from a two different sites
    ballistics testing - round 1 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 2 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 3 - varied 9mm JHP's - shooting through tshirts
    ballistics testing - round 5 - comparing 9mm JHP velocities
    ballistics testing - round 6 - Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    ballistics testing - round 7 - shooting through denim - 9 mm, 45 acp, and 357 magnum

Terminal Ballistics .45 ACP
    Terminal Ballistics 9mm

There is also a rather informative thread here with pics at Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics

Below is a pic of my rather meager example of HST compared to some other common SD ammunition
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links