Federal .40 135 gr. JHP

This is a discussion on Federal .40 135 gr. JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone use this ammo? My local dealer has a good supply of it and thought I would give it a try. Recoil was not a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal .40 135 gr. JHP

Federal .40 135 gr. JHP

Anyone use this ammo? My local dealer has a good supply of it and thought I would give it a try. Recoil was not a problem in my G23 and it shot spot on at 10-15 yards.

I am more often than not a fan of heavier bullets but I was thinking this light bullet might be good for SD purposes as the chance of pass through would be greatly diminished.

The cost was right also. A box of 50 is about the same as 20 rounds of premium defensive ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Mic
    I never seen any, I carry Federal Hydra Shok 180 grn for SD, but if that stuff shoots well then get a cheap roast and hang from a rope and shoot it with a few of those rounds and see how they perform for a SD round, I know, it sounds kinda silly but really, is there a better way to test a SD short of shooting a cadaver?
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Looking at the Federal ballistics charts, there's little difference in energy between the 135, 155 and 180 gr rounds. I'd say go for it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    I'd buy it if I needed ammo and it was available.

Is it the hydra-shok that is also advertised as "low recoil"? If so, I have tried it. When shooting it through my G27 I didn't notice much of a difference as far as recoil between shooting a 165gr and the 135gr, but I think you're right, it may be better for SD because it is lighter, and may have better expansion and less over-penetration. It will definitely be faster Plus Federal makes quality SD ammo

I shoot 165 grain HST,the lighter bullet should perform better in shorter barrels
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It doesn't say hydra-shok but it sure looks like it could be...very large hollow-point and the jacket has cuts to promote positive expansion.

my local has the hst 135grn in the gray box, along with the 180grn hst in the white box.

i have an emp40, but decided on the 180grn because i've seen impressive ballistics tests done with this.

i've searched all over the web and can't find any expansion/penetration tests of the 135grn hst's.

The Federal 135gr .40 is the issue duty load of my agency. I haven't heard any complaints.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    The Federal 135gr .40 is the issue duty load of my agency. I haven't heard any complaints.
    I'm loading 135 JHP Noslers right now. There really zippy!!!!However, I'm loading them way down since I'm terrified of loading .40.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Not all 135gr ammois loaded the same. The balistics of the Federal is much milder than loads like the Cor Bon and Double Tap, for example. It's pretty mild and there's a lot of room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post

is it the gray box stuff? can you provide any penetration/expansion info? can't find any info online.

thank you

It's the Federal 135 HST's and they are rated at 1200FPS. Pretty tame for 135 grain 40 cal but I'm sure they would be quite affective for SD.

I sure wish DT would load 135 HST's. At 1375 fps from a G32 that would be very good SD round.

One of the board sponsors carries them:

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/td...0HA__50_ROUNDS
    Last edited by Ticman; March 12th, 2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    It doesn't say hydra-shok but it sure looks like it could be...very large hollow-point and the jacket has cuts to promote positive expansion.
    If there's no post in the middle of the HP, it's not a HydraShok.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I'm loading 135 JHP Noslers right now. There really zippy!!!!However, I'm loading them way down since I'm terrified of loading .40.
    Why? The mechanics of loading .40 S&W is no different than any other round. If you use loading data from published loading manuals (not something you read on some Internet forum) there will be no more problem than loading any other round.

There is nothing magical about loading for it, nor reason to be afraid of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links