Defensive Carry banner

Jack O'Connor & Elmer Keith

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CajunBass 
#1 ·
I came across this thread while reading up on a different subject...thought I'd share it. I have no idea if what is written on it is accurate or total nonsense, but it discusses both Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith, as writers, as people and as shooters. Some of the posters hit both or either men, many others took up their cause. Runs 11 pages...

I've never read any Elmer Keith, and his autobiography on Amazon is a bit pricey, but I'll always be in debt to him for the work he did. Jack O'Connor was the first gun writer I read. Both seem like fascinating men, and both contributed a lot to the world of shooting as we have it now. Hope any of y'all enjoy reading about them as much as I did. :image035:

Comments re: Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor

#2 ·
Jack was the refined champion of the 270 Winchester, and Elmer was the ruffian hardcore cowboy who is responsible from the birth of the 44 magnum. They both had spirited debates over their ideas of proper hunting calibers. In a slight insult in an article for shooting times, Elmer deemed the 270" damned adequate " and stated the 338 win mag the better choice. In my life, I tried to emulate Elmer in my handgun hunting endeavor, and devoured everything they wrote. Both made an influence in my life, and both left a void in the gun world that has yet to be filled. Thank you for this post.

#3 ·
I recall enjoying reading much of their writings. I recall one story by Kieth about a pack in hunting trip where a bear charged the group. The bear was shot with a handgun, then someone took a felling axe to it while it was still mobile. They were some rough ole boys.

#4 ·
I liked Elmer's writing, but Jack O'Conner was "my guy" back then. I've got several of his books around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.