To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth

This is a discussion on To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got done reading the aforementioned book, Col. Jeff Coopers latest book. I thought it was a great read, Col. Cooper is almost as good ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By denver

Thread: To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar

Just got done reading the aforementioned book, Col. Jeff Coopers latest book. I thought it was a great read, Col. Cooper is almost as good with a pen as a shooting-iron. It was mostly a scrapbook of a great many articles he has written through the years with some campfire and sea stories for spice. I found it quite enjoyable to get a first hand commentary of one of the last of the passing old gaurd. Lot's of great tid bits on defensive handgun as well as all around skill at arms. Col. Cooper is kind of a sportsman's renaisance-man and there's lots of stories from his ventures in Africa. I'd recomend it to anyone who's interested in the art of shooting or hunting.

Thumbs up

I agree, a great book. I especially liked the story "Survivor." Unbelieveable!

I've been thinking about getting it maybe i will now

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6
    I agree, a great book. I especially liked the story "Survivor." Unbelieveable!

Yeah, that guy was no doubt, hard as coffin nails.

I'm not so sure that "Ride, Shoot Straight..." is his latest book, but I absolutely agree, "Survivor" is my pick of the book. I'd like to have heard some of the other stories that were also told at the same time that one was, by the trio gathered around the fire.

Another favorite of mine from that book is "The Crossing".

Both stories, incidentally, are also in his book "Another Country".

I only started reading his not-just-gun stories about a year ago. The man's skill with a pen is astounding. He can tell any story well. I was every bit as interested in his writings of traveling by ocean liner as I was with tracking wounded Buffalo in Africa.

I am in the process of reading this book right now. Had to take a break on Wednesday and go to the range to try out my delivery. I carry condition one with a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry 45 ACP. I must admit, I felt very disconnected at first. My draw to fire was not smooth at all! After a few magazines I was getting a pretty good feel for everything even putting a few dead center in the bull. This is an excersize that really takes practice. Luckly I was the only shooter at the short 10-15 yard range so I could move around and shoot from different angles. Mr. Cooper is teaching me some very good practices. Great book.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

Well, with ol Elmer and Jeff still in print, there's hope for all out there yet.
    Jeff, Elmer, and Peter Hathoway Capstick were the biggest influences in my life.throw in a sprinkling of Skelton, Jordan, and the gentleman, Jack O'Conner, and you have a treasure chest full of knowledge.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, with ol Elmer and Jeff still in print, there's hope for all out there yet.
    Jeff, Elmer, and Peter Hathoway Capstick were the biggest influences in my life.throw in a sprinkling of Skelton, Jordan, and the gentleman, Jack O'Conner, and you have a treasure chest full of knowledge.
    I LOVE Capstick, I've read all of his stuff multiple times. How are his films? In fact he is the one that gave me the idea for disproving the "fact" that "00" is the best shotgun round for home defense (I'm currently, researching, testing to begin soon! I'm sure my results will make quite a splash and make for some heated discussions around DC if they turn out the way I expect them to.).
    He is a great storyteller although, I've read a couple different places that he was know to embellish a bit. But oh well, it sure made the stories good!

Glockmann, who is this Elmer you speak of?

-Russell
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Youngsters!!!!!!!!!!!!! Elmer Keith
    Cory1022 likes this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    Youngsters!!!!!!!!!!!!! Elmer Keith
    Lol, I'm not quite thirty, that ain't SOOO young. Elmer Keith, developed the .357 mag and later the .44 mag right?
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Links