Little black book of violence:what every young man needs to know about fighting - Page 2

Little black book of violence:what every young man needs to know about fighting

This is a discussion on Little black book of violence:what every young man needs to know about fighting within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier "In The Gravest Extreme" is a title which in itself suggests emergency final option procedures. "The Little Black Book of Violence" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Little black book of violence:what every young man needs to know about fighting

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    "In The Gravest Extreme" is a title which in itself suggests emergency final option procedures. "The Little Black Book of Violence" suggests something more of a carnival ride for a lot of fun. Written by two guys I never heard of who probably aren't worthy of polishing Ayoob's boots. Hey, far be it for me to denigrate the 1st Amendment! Whatever you want to read and take info from on self defense, have at it. It IS your life after all.
    Look, you wanna limit yourself to just your military training and guns, that's fine by me. After all, what works for me may not work for everyone. Unlike the battlefield, we also have to face the legal system and Ayoob's book, "In the Gravest Extreme", does have some legal advice on what to expect in court after a self-defense related incident. And, until you have ever read those books, you are in no position to judge them.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    "In The Gravest Extreme" is a title which in itself suggests emergency final option procedures. "The Little Black Book of Violence" suggests something more of a carnival ride for a lot of fun. Written by two guys I never heard of who probably aren't worthy of polishing Ayoob's boots.
    That explains it. You definitely need to do more research rather than prejudging something you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Look, you wanna limit yourself to just your military training and guns, that's fine by me. After all, what works for me may not work for everyone. Unlike the battlefield, we also have to face the legal system and Ayoob's book, "In the Gravest Extreme", does have some legal advice on what to expect in court after a self-defense related incident. And, until you have ever read those books, you are in no position to judge them.
    I have read In The Gravest Extreme and highly respect Mas Ayoob. The other guys I have not but think that any savvy prosecutor could make a good case for specific intent to cause "harm" based on the title and content. Far more so than choice of firearm or ammo would present in any shooting situation. Kind of like using an association with the racist "Turner Diaries" helped to sink Timothy McVeigh.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sorry, but I am free to "JUDGE" anything I please. You don't have to agree with that assertion but that's the wonderful thing about living in a free land with a Bill of Rights under our Constitution.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I hate to say this but learning self defense from a book is a little bit like learning the fine art of bomb making from a book. Because I know from my military experiences that most bomb makers who aren't American Special Operations personnel get BITTEN by their own devices many many more times than they are actually successful in making working devices. Especially nonmilitary folks who learn from "manuals" and aren't trained by somebody in the PLO or the IRA (world's best bombers). That's why most bomb makers are nick named "STUMPY." Similarly, folks who learn to fight (better) from a book soon become hospitalized or deceased. Those books are written for exactly one reason. To make $$$ for the author.
    Preach brother... Preach...

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Wow. You guys have something against books? A lot of people swear by "In the Gravest Extreme." I don't want to start an argument, but why are you guys hassling someone who just thought we might like reading something he read and took the trouble to tell us about it?

Of course I have nothing against books. Only a fool would. I do however have a problem with a self defense book that claims to be the know all, and tell all. Be it these two gentlemen, Masad Ayoob, or anyone (including myself). I believe there is no one size fits all, in fighting hand to hand, knife fighting, or gun fighting.

I'm not opposed to researching these subjects, pick one technique, and master it. The problem I have is when an author presents many different techniques for the many diferent tactical situations you may find yourself in. Perhaps I'm just not as bright as the next person but... Under pressure I rely on muscle memory, and learned behaviour. I dont want to have my mind clouded with " lets see now.... This guy has a knife, and wants my money... Hmmm THis author says give it to him... but this other author says... poke him in the eye... But that other author says I'd be justified in shooting him... but wait.. I must remember to tell the police this or that..." Too many choices can be a bad thing. The biggest problem is... your adversary probably didnt read the book.

Being individuals with individual physical limits, emotional limits, financial limits, and moral limits. I think we as individuals should find and perfect our own technique... So if halfway through a subject matter book I see something that I believe will work best for me... I put that book down. Then begin the perfection adjustment to personal fit, and the practice of that technique...

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Wow. You guys have something against books? A lot of people swear by "In the Gravest Extreme." I don't want to start an argument, but why are you guys hassling someone who just thought we might like reading something he read and took the trouble to tell us about it?
    I think I can speak for some of these guys, having been on this forum long enough with some of them, I think their main point can be summed up with this post"

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    I see books as being nice supplemental material, but they're no substitute for sweat equity.
    Many of us know the joy of the field manual, but the military didn't just hand us that and send us on our way. As a Combat Engineer, I wasn't just given some pontoons, planks and a book and then told to go build a bridge. I was shown how and then was given the book for reinforcement, then shown how some more.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The response the op had to his post gives me pause to post anything on this forum. I read nothing in his post that said that a book was all one needed to learn self defense and was quite surprised at the caustic tone of some of the posts.

Seems like a pack of devil's advocates to me, just looking and hoping to find some way to pick a guy's post apart. I'll go now.
    Cattus Vir likes this.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Written by Lawrence Kane and Kris Wilder. Just recently started reading this book and gives information in depth regarding fighting, its psychologies, realities, and legal consequences. Also provides graphic pictures to show the reality of violence as well as provide tips on de-escalation, color codes of awareness, the predator mentaiity of assailants, and much more. I ran across this book at the local bookstore and it makes a great read. Excellent source of info. for cops, security guards, bouncers, any tourist in a foreign city, or concerned defense-minded citizen.
    Sounds like an interesting read. Any good information can be used and like you said in a later post the bad (disagreed upon) information can be taken with a grain of salt (dismissed).

p.s. I have had martial arts training though I am not active anymore. I still participate in plenty of training through my job.

Quote Originally Posted by sliponby View Post
    The response the op had to his post gives me pause to post anything on this forum. I read nothing in his post that said that a book was all one needed to learn self defense and was quite surprised at the caustic tone of some of the posts. Seems like a pack of devil's advocates to me, just looking and hoping to find some way to pick a guy's post apart. I'll go now.
    Agree completely. Been browsing this area for the first time... run across this thread and see a bunch of breast-beating. Hope not many threads in this area are like this one. Poor OP got his thread pissed on. I'll go now, too... to a place that knows how to exchange information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links