Little black book of violence:what every young man needs to know about fighting

This is a discussion on Little black book of violence:what every young man needs to know about fighting within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Written by Lawrence Kane and Kris Wilder. Just recently started reading this book and gives information in depth regarding fighting, its psychologies, realities, and legal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Little black book of violence:what every young man needs to know about fighting

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Written by Lawrence Kane and Kris Wilder. Just recently started reading this book and gives information in depth regarding fighting, its psychologies, realities, and legal consequences. Also provides graphic pictures to show the reality of violence as well as provide tips on de-escalation, color codes of awareness, the predator mentaiity of assailants, and much more. I ran across this book at the local bookstore and it makes a great read. Excellent source of info. for cops, security guards, bouncers, any tourist in a foreign city, or concerned defense-minded citizen.

I hate to say this but learning self defense from a book is a little bit like learning the fine art of bomb making from a book. Because I know from my military experiences that most bomb makers who aren't American Special Operations personnel get BITTEN by their own devices many many more times than they are actually successful in making working devices. Especially nonmilitary folks who learn from "manuals" and aren't trained by somebody in the PLO or the IRA (world's best bombers). That's why most bomb makers are nick named "STUMPY." Similarly, folks who learn to fight (better) from a book soon become hospitalized or deceased. Those books are written for exactly one reason. To make $$$ for the author.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I hate to say this but learning self defense from a book is a little bit like learning the fine art of bomb making from a book. Because I know from my military experiences that most bomb makers who aren't American Special Operations personnel get BITTEN by their own devices many many more times than they are actually successful in making working devices. Especially nonmilitary folks who learn from "manuals" and aren't trained by somebody in the PLO or the IRA (world's best bombers). That's why most bomb makers are nick named "STUMPY." Similarly, folks who learn to fight (better) from a book soon become hospitalized or deceased. Those books are written for exactly one reason. To make $$$ for the author.
    With that in mind, should I discontinue my "Snake handling for dummies" correspondence course?
    oneshot, JDE101 and jem102 like this.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Rotflmao
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    With that in mind, should I discontinue my "Snake handling for dummies" correspondence course?
    I know that book! That's the same book my old First Sergeant was reading during one of our "down times" at the Yakima Firing Center back in the mid '80s. I remember he was giving the troops a "lesson" on handling venomous snakes. He had this HUGE rattle snake in his hands musta gone about 8 or 9 feet! Trouble was, he had hold of the critter too low on the neck and that old grampy just swiveled around and bit old "Rocky" right on the web of his hand! As he was sinking to his knees he was giving a FIRST AID lesson to the troops on snake bite! In the meantime I was calling in the MEDEVAC "Dust Off" chopper. So yeah, I know that book well. You might have the same success First Sergeant did.
    garyacman likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

FYI, I already taken some reality based self-defense training. This and other books are just nothing more than supplemental material added to what I have already learned. And just because I read it does not mean I agree with everything it said.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Oh, that was rich.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Wow. You guys have something against books? A lot of people swear by "In the Gravest Extreme." I don't want to start an argument, but why are you guys hassling someone who just thought we might like reading something he read and took the trouble to tell us about it?

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Wow. You guys have something against books? A lot of people swear by "In the Gravest Extreme." I don't want to start an argument, but why are you guys hassling someone who just thought we might like reading something he read and took the trouble to tell us about it?
    Yeah, if your going to attack any book suggestions without giving reasons why, or take the stance that it's impossible to learn anything from a book then we might as well have this whole forum deleted.

VIP Member
    There are a number of threads which have run here about H2H SD, and several folks who usually participate actively in those discussions. I think Jason is one of them. If he thinks the book is worth looking at, it is one I'll consider getting. You don't learn H2H from books, but books can enhance what you do learn at the gym or FOF training centers.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 4th, 2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: changed FOR to FOR force on force

~snip~
    Those books are written for exactly one reason. To make $$$ for the author.
    Aren't they all?

What's this "young man" malarkey? If anything, given assault statistics, women need to study self defense even more than men do.

Krav Maga, Wing Chun, traditional boxing, plenty of ways to get up to speed but you need to train with opponents and get good instruction.

I see books as being nice supplemental material, but they're no substitute for sweat equity.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Of course, I do it the MMA gym at my local area. We do it on the mat and the boxing ring. You gotta take it as well as dish it out. Book is just nothing more than information and I never said to limit yourself on just books. How you are able to use what's in it is up to you. As a matter of fact, you can use some of the information in your daily life as well. Again, this is just one of the books I read and use the information in it.
    And reading books on self-defense/firearms are a heck of a lot better than sitting in the couch all day watching TV or playing video games. You never can be too contented with what you learn. The minute you do, you might as well do something else.
    JDE101 and lazytl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    "In The Gravest Extreme" is a title which in itself suggests emergency final option procedures. "The Little Black Book of Violence" suggests something more of a carnival ride for a lot of fun. Written by two guys I never heard of who probably aren't worthy of polishing Ayoob's boots. Hey, far be it for me to denigrate the 1st Amendment! Whatever you want to read and take info from on self defense, have at it. It IS your life after all.
    garyacman likes this.

DC Founder
    Some people are able to read a book, grasp the material and practice what they have read and others can't. It's the same with any subject whether it be self defense or any subject. And, don't write off authors just because you haven't heard of them....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links