Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership, 7th Edition

This is a discussion on Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership, 7th Edition within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Florida attorney Jon Gutmacher has recently released a revised and expanded edition of his book, Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership . This is the ...

Thread: Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership, 7th Edition

Senior Moderator

Florida attorney Jon Gutmacher has recently released a revised and expanded edition of his book, Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership. This is the 7th edition of the book, which covers just about every imaginable topic pertaining to firearms in Florida.

I'd like to start off this review by noting that I am in no way affiliated with Mr. Gutmacher and have no relationship with him beyond reading his books and having met him at a gun show a while back. I have not received any consideration for this review, and I purchased the book at retail price.

Mr. Gutmacher is an attorney based in Orlando, Florida with thirty plus years of litigation experience. He is also an NRA certified instructor, CWFL holder and 2nd Amendment advocate.

The book consists of 350 pages organized into 12 chapters covering everything from the State and Federal constitutional right to keep and bear arms (including McDonald), through buying and selling firearms, storage, access by minor children and of course using a firearm in self defense. The final chapter includes common self-defense scenarios including someone breaking into your vehicle outside your home, breaking into your home, etc.

In each chapter, the author breaks down the state and federal laws that govern a given situation, and summarizes relevant cases in clear language. Best of all, where the law is unclear, the author says so and provides his best educated opinion on the issue.

The book covers concealed carry (and the very limited open carry permitted in Florida) and discusses where you can and cannot carry in detail. The book thoroughly covers the use of force in defense of yourself and others, including the Florida "Castle Doctrine" and "Stand Your Ground" provisions including the case law that is constantly shaping these laws to this very day.

Also covered are pitfalls in the law where a person can find themselves in a world of hurt arising from the improper use (or display) of a firearm. Florida's mandatory sentences for gun crimes cut both ways - an otherwise law abiding citizen who makes an error in judgment can find themselves facing mandatory prison time. The author breaks these down and explains how to avoid these situations. For example, he makes a solid case why firing a warning shot in Florida is a very, very bad idea. As in 20 years in prison bad idea.

I'd strongly encourage anyone who owns a firearm in Florida, or carries one here from another state, to buy and read this book. The jail term you save might be your own.

You can purchase the book through a number of sources, including the author's website ( http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com ). He also publishes book updates on his site, as well as a blog where he provides detailed analysis of various legal issues pertaining to self defense.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'll have to put that book on my upcoming birthday wish list! I've heard pro and con on his books, but I try to keep an open mind and at least hear the other side.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    I'll second Matt's review, I got the previous edition right after I got my Florida non-resident, and actually took it to Florida last year when I went down there for work. The book is a good and interesting read cover-to-cover, not to mention one heck of an education.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Okay, I've received and read much of this book and I've come to several conclusions:

1. The author self-publishes his own book. While there's nothing wrong with that (uses his own publishing company to keep more of the money in his pocket--capitalism at its finest), he could use the services of a good editor before he moves to Edition Eight. I'd volunteer my services for a free copy.

2. The world of laws and legalities is a confusing, vague, mumbo-jumbo contradiction of facts and opinions that no one is sure of the meaning or intent--not even the author. And he more or less admits to that. Much of what determines whether people, who believe they "properly and legally" defended themselves, are found guilty or not guilty depends largely on someone else's opinion, namely the jurists.

3. While very informative (and the book is just that, informed, legal opinion in much of the material covered, not a basis of law), after reading it, I find myself going, "Huh?" just as much afterwards as before reading. In many cases, where a "yes" or "no" answer is hoped for, the author gives a "well, maybe." It shows that even lawyers don't know or have the definitive answer to many questions, particularly in the area of firearms and self-defense.

Would I recommend this book for reading by anyone owning firearms in Florida? Certainly. It is very informative and clarifies many areas, especially clarifying that the laws and its interpretations are vague and unclear, subject to applied differently as the LEO, judge, and jury opinions so direct.

So to all of you Florida gunowners, especially those who elect to carry a firearm for protection, pick up a copy of the author's work. It's a small investment that may produce huge returns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am going to search around for this book but want to find a used on to avoid paying $35.00
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

the bible for FLA, even if you don't CC, crazy not to have it and actually use it
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    I am going to search around for this book but want to find a used on to avoid paying $35.00
    And it will be out of date, inaccurate, and potentially land you in jail.

You paid several hundred dollars for a weapon, several hundred more for ammo and practice, and hundreds more for training, and want to skimp on information that could cost you FAR more in jail time, lost wages, and lawyer fees.

I would not recommend that. OMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links