ohio ccw course info.

This is a discussion on ohio ccw course info. within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; looking for info on ccw in ohio what type of shooting test do you have to do?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ohio ccw course info.

ohio ccw course info.

looking for info on ccw in ohio what type of shooting test do you have to do?

2. Remove Ads

There is no established shot course last time I checked, so it depends on your instructor.

Mine was something like 25 rounds at 7 meters, from a static position, and you had to get 20 in the black.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The shooting test is part of the course completion. I completed mine over a weekend and it will vary what they do (like my class had some FOF, some classes don't have that). The important part is It has to be a course of 10 hours class time and 2 hours shooting time. With the shooting part we had 50 rounds and basically had to hit a man sized target at 7 yards. Although grouping wasn't necessary, you had to hit the target X number of times (I forget the number) before completing that part
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It uses the, "B.S.O.B." standard -- Broad Side Of Barn.

I agree with the Broad side of Barn. I went to the range and the instructor looked around at guns. I'm assuming he watched one or two shots through the glass.

by the law, if u can hit a 10" paper plate at 15ft you are good to go... sad to say.. people in my class had some "issues"....

My test was like buckeyel.CPL, 7 meters, 25 shots, hit the vital areas. The last 5 rounds were cool, with the target coming at you in a lowlight situation.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I think most of the live fire testing is to see if you can put into practice safe handling of the pistol more so than target practice. For some people 2 hours isn't enough time to get good at grouping. Although most in my class did very well. Nobody of the 30+ students had to go through more than a mag or two.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Ohiorcs,

If you are interested in doing the course, then I am sure a member on here would be able to point you towards a reputable instructor in your area. We have a fairly large and competent Ohio faction on here, with folks from all parts of the state. Also, there are other ways, such as military service, to meet the qualifications. In case you have never seen it before, here is the state attorney general's handbook on CHLs: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...s-Booklet.aspx
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My instructor just made sure the students were shooting in the same general direction of the target and called it a day. If I had it to do over again I would travel across the state to take the TDI course. I have no personal experience with them, but I have heard nothing but great things about their classes.

I don't recall exactly how many rounds we fired for qualification, but we did spend a full two hours on the range. The instructor went over grip, trigger squeeze (I never could understand the term "press" the trigger--I learned to "squeeze" it as a kid in the 50's), isolese (sp?), weaver, and modified weaver stances, clearing malfunctions, etc. We fired both weak and strong hand and then two handed in each of the 3 stances. Qualification was then at 7 yards. I shot mostly weaver, but did fire about 10 rounds with each hand, strong and weak. I think it was 50 rounds for qualification and 50-100 "practicing" before we fired for qualification. Even though we had some brand new shooter in the class, by the time we were done, everyone seemed adequately proficient with their weapons to hit the target.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

i am not sure but my teset was 15 feet and i had to hit target paper circle it did not need to be all in the black just inside the circle with any handgun caliber and it had to be 5 out 5 hits. we were allowed an infinte amount ammo and practice time.

i am interested in taking course i live in tuscarawas county any good instructors around tusc. stark, holmes?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorcs View Post
    i am interested in taking course i live in tuscarawas county any good instructors around tusc. stark, holmes?
    Check out this site: http://www.ohioccw.org/index.php?option=com_jevents

Hopefully you will be able to find a course near you. And welcome to the forum.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

gep

Written test

Does the Ohio Carry Course require a written test along with the actual shooting test?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links