Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?

This is a discussion on Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RKM The addicts should just rob the drugs from the people with the drugs. Oh, they are. In some cases, it's a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    The addicts should just rob the drugs from the people with the drugs.
    Oh, they are. In some cases, it's a terminal cancer patient with a legitimate prescription for pain medication. Somebody tips the addict off that there are drugs in the house and the next thing you know an addict is kicking in the front door. They rob pharmacies in broad daylight to the point where Walgreen's now puts the drugs that addicts want in time delay safes. Tennessee is the number one state in prescription drug abuse in the country. I'm not sure where we rank in meth production, but I'm sure we're up there with the best of them. There have been seven or eight armed robberies and at least four shootings within a mile of my house in the last year and I actually live in a decent neighborhood. That doesn't mean that I live in fear of my life or think I'll be involved in a shoot out every time I leave the house, but I don't anticipate being in a wreck every time I buckle my seat belt either.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Ya know that saying about there's no such thing as a stupid question ...

You have to read at least a little of the article provided in the link to gain an understanding of how/why the question is posed.

It is very thought provoking, and makes the case FOR firearms ownership, and our AMERICAN way of life,

Hermann Goering:
    Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
    quote verified at snopes.com
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It's just one more study that has already been done, the question has been answered over and over for the people who care to actually listen to the facts and use rational thought instead of being swayed by emotional drivel and seriously flawed "studies" that could be debunked by anyone who has passed an intro to statistics class. Those that fall into the second category refuse to see anything but that which supports their irrational fears of firearms.

VIP Member
    we have way more calls for assaults, robberies, and suicides/attempts where things other than firearms are involved
    way more stabbings than shootings
    suicides/attempts are most often attempted with drugs

so IMO as a LEO....no, banning guns won't hinder either of these activities, as Hotguns said.....murder has been around for a long time, getting rid of one method just means one of the others will be utilized
    but now, banning those who commit/attempt murder will have a direct impact on those that would try it again
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

If by "Banning", you mean collecting all the weapons ever created, then good luck too you. Impossible to do. Any other watered-down "ban" is simply symbolic and will achieve nothing (except Liberal votes).

View what's going on with our neighbors to the South (Mexico) and see what the effect of a total weapons ban has been. It's trite, but it's true -- if you criminalize weapons, then only criminals will possess weapons.

IMHO banning of guns is used as a political stepping stool to boost politicians ego/standing/voter turnout. Whether or not he/she agrees with the actual banning of guns does nothing to change the agenda.

Evil will never be legislated out of deranged hearts. Banning guns to stop murder is as effective as banning forks to stop obesity.

Banning firearms would definitely make murder & suicide take on a very different format...

Massive upswing in suicide by overdose, hanging, slit wrists, etc

Murder by knife, beating, ramming you with a car, etc would jump massively...

Remember, when the London riots started there was a 6000% increase in aluminum baseball bat sales...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links