1911 Reliability

1911 Reliability

This is a discussion on 1911 Reliability within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9 times out of 10 when you have issues with reliability in a 1911 or a clone it comes down to issues with the magazines. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1911 Reliability

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Question 1911 Reliability

    9 times out of 10 when you have issues with reliability in a 1911 or a clone it comes down to issues with the magazines. I found a FASCINATING analysis of a number of different designs (by gun manufacturer) complete with pictures that should open a lot of eyes. The article is fairly lengthy but well worth the bookmark to read. Next time you have issues with feeding, extracting or jams in a 1911, look to your mags first.

    http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/index.html
    bmcgilvray and Eaglebeak like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,631
    Great post! Thanks! I have had issues with most of the problems he addresses. Those problems disappeared when I switched to Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick and Novak mags.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array Devilsclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Great post! Thanks! I have had issues with most of the problems he addresses. Those problems disappeared when I switched to Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick and Novak mags.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I too have used those mags to "fix" problems. But.....assuming that the standard magazine is not damaged, or that the pistol hasn't been "modified" from the original design of JMB, if an original Mil-spec mag won't work, then something is out of kilter with the gun. The mag is an easy solution. The only reason I say this, is because if changing mags does NOT fix the problem, then you need to dig deeper. You'd be very surprised by the number of pistols out there with incorrect mag-well angles. They were simply machined incorrectly.

    Another problem is incorrect barrel-fit. The Wilson mag "fixes" this problem by "jumping" the round, Bo Duke-Style into the chamber.

    So, it's a little like putting Bars-Leak in your radiator.....it may stop the leak, but the problem is still there. I've done this too--many times, as it's easier to "fix" the symptom than the underlying cause. I am not critisizing doing it.

    Thanks for the link. The only reason I posted this, is I don't want people that are having problems, to think that , "awwww, it was just the mag". It could possibly be the gun, but if changing mags works, then that is great, as long as one doesn't have to use standard mags....ever.

  4. #4
    Member Array Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    50
    The only 1911 mags I have ever had a problem with were sold to me as Mil-Spec magazines. I am not saying they don't exist and I agree the mag could be covering another problem but true mil-spec mags probably dried up many years ago. Probably be hard to find a pistol built to true JMB specs also.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    9,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I too have used those mags to "fix" problems. But.....assuming that the standard magazine is not damaged, or that the pistol hasn't been "modified" from the original design of JMB, if an original Mil-spec mag won't work, then something is out of kilter with the gun. The mag is an easy solution. The only reason I say this, is because if changing mags does NOT fix the problem, then you need to dig deeper. You'd be very surprised by the number of pistols out there with incorrect mag-well angles. They were simply machined incorrectly.

    Another problem is incorrect barrel-fit. The Wilson mag "fixes" this problem by "jumping" the round, Bo Duke-Style into the chamber.





    So, it's a little like putting Bars-Leak in your radiator.....it may stop the leak, but the problem is still there. I've done this too--many times, as it's easier to "fix" the symptom than the underlying cause. I am not critisizing doing it.

    Thanks for the link. The only reason I posted this, is I don't want people that are having problems, to think that , "awwww, it was just the mag". It could possibly be the gun, but if changing mags works, then that is great, as long as one doesn't have to use standard mags....ever.
    If you buy a quality 1911 from the start, like a Colt or Springer, or one of the custom makers, a bad magazine spring will be all you have to worry about, as a general rule.

    When people take a perfectly functional quality 1911 and start altering it with nonsensical BS, and they dont know what in the hell their doing, thats where trouble starts.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  6. #6
    Sponsor
    Array DRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Near Historic Williamsburg, Virginia
    Posts
    678
    Agreed...

    I think Dremels should be licensed as they are the #1 cause of 1911 problems.
    gunthorp and OD* like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

    D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,150
    Thanks for the link. I'm adding it to favorites. Need to clean out favorites.

    Never had any particular problem with most magazines. I squushed a Vietnam era contract magazine once that was trouble and couldn't be fixed to be reliable.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,065
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Agreed...

    I think Dremels should be licensed as they are the #1 cause of 1911 problems.
    With defective field jacket sleeves following close behind.
    DRM and l1a1 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Array Blue Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the Gun Room
    Posts
    988
    I have never had any issues with my 1911 mags as they are all Wilson Mags and do not have issues in competetion or "Social Issues". Good luck with your mags. Mine also get cleaned once a year, after shooting the "Social Ammo" I store in them the best "Social Ammo" I can buy which is Winchester +T and Cor-Bon +T 45ACP ammo which is a total of 20 mags which also have the base plates installed.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,577
    Remember that MIL SPEC magazines were intended for Mil Ball ammunition. There are a lot more .45ACP bullet nose configurations & Overall Cartridge Lengths out there these days.

  11. #11
    Sponsor
    Array DRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Near Historic Williamsburg, Virginia
    Posts
    678

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Remember that MIL SPEC magazines were intended for Mil Ball ammunition. There are a lot more .45ACP bullet nose configurations & Overall Cartridge Lengths out there these days.
    Right on...

    And there a lot of junk parts and junk 1911's out there, too. Poor quality and workmanship.
    bmcgilvray and QKShooter like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

    D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

  12. #12
    Member Array e4dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    156
    Very nicely researched and presented article. Gives much "food for thought" when you are chasing a feeding problem.

    Still, when you have a gun/mag SYSTEM that works reliably it might be unwise to pursue "experimentation." At this point I'd stick with glockman10mm's recommendation that "a bad magazine spring will be all you have to worry about."
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array multistage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Iowa
    Posts
    2,428
    People say the 1911 is an antique design. Kind of like the internal combustion engine.

  14. #14
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,577
    I have posted this photo on DC in the past. The Tripp Research COBRAMAG and how it MAY (or may not) solve some 1911 FTF feed issues.
    Notice how the COBRAMAG feed lips position the top cartridge slightly higher up and at a slightly steeper angle to the frame feed ramp and the barrel chamber. If you are a 1911 owner having feed malf issues then you might want to try one.

    DRM likes this.

  15. #15
    Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,300
    Good article thanks. and thanks for the pictures QKShooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. .22 LR reliability
    By BlackJack in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: August 1st, 2013, 11:46 PM
  2. PF9 Reliability
    By rammerjammer in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: July 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
  3. 1911 reliability upgrades
    By radshooter in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: April 24th, 2010, 04:23 AM
  4. Reliability
    By BlackJack in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 27th, 2008, 08:56 PM
  5. Reliability ????
    By dbracin in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 18th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Search tags for this page

1911 dependability
,
1911 problems
,

1911 reliability

,
1911 reliability issues
,
1911 reliability problems
,

1911 reliability secrets

,
1911 reliability test
,
1911 reliability upgrades
,
are 1911 pistols reliable
,
is 1911 reliable
,
is the 1911 reliable
,
reliability of the 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.