85% of people shot, survive - Page 2

85% of people shot, survive

This is a discussion on 85% of people shot, survive within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty 85% may survive,but I will bet a large percentage are permanently handicapped from the Injuries,everything from spinal cord injuries to damages ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 85% of people shot, survive

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    85% may survive,but I will bet a large percentage are permanently handicapped from the Injuries,everything from spinal cord injuries to damages to arms/legs causing mobility issues,to internal damage needing colostomy bags,some head wounds may be survivable,but leaves the person in a vegetative state.Some bullet wounds are thru and thru soft tissue causing no damage to any muscles nerves or ligaments
    This.
    I know a guy at work who was robbed at an ATM and shot several years ago. You really can't tell it by looking at him, but he says he's never been the same at all. He's on disability, though he works limited hours making pizza. He can't lift much of anything or do hard work.

Also agree with RockBottom about the improvements in medical and emergency care. Location is also important. Living near a hospital will help your odds considerably, living in the sticks where cops and ambulances don't come to....well. My dad wouldn't have survived his heart attack if my parents didn't live in Little Rock.

Course, I also know this other guy. I haven't heard any stories of being "shot" specifically, but he's been patched up a hundred times. Wires in his cheak bone, eyeball put back into it's socket, knee blown apart, patched up in third world countries, broke his back twice......nothin slows him down! Some people are just really hard to kill.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Some people are dead but just don't know it. When I was in college, more than 40 yrs. ago, I had occasion to be the first to go in a store after the owner had attempted suicide. He actually shot himself in the head, dropped the gun, fell to the floor, retrieved the gun then shot himself again in the head. He died on the way to the hospital after I drove to the police dept. to report it.(before cell phones) The gun he used was a 9mm luger. The reason I drove to the police dept. was that the guy was still moving and I could see the gun near his hand. I did not want to stay around on the chance that he might shoot me too. The police entered the store with guns drawn on the chance that the victim was shot as a result of a robbery attempt and the bad guy was still there. A suicide note was found on the counter.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

In any event, let's consider how many of those shot were "stopped", as that is the main purpose of the defensive handgun. Anything else is just incidental to the shooting.
    This echoes my thinking. If I ever need to shoot someone, I'm only caring that they stop whatever it is they're doing which necessitated their being shot. Living or dying is up to them.

On the other hand, if I'm ever shot, I'm hoping the 85% odds are in my favor!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Does it REALLY surprise people that the human body can survive a few small holes poked into it?

Relative to the rest of the body even a .45 is a small hole and we have a LOT of protective engineering to ensure against dying from such small holes. Our brain, heart, lungs, etc are very well protected by bone. Muscles and fat protect other vital organs.

But, that doesn't mean we are invincible to GSWs. Permanent damage or even long-term pain and rehab to recover are all very real consequences of being shot. While something is survivable it doesn't make it "okay" to go through.

After watching my brother in agonizing pain for weeks healing from his gun shot wound I am more than happy to try to avoid them at all costs.

I will not, however, think my life is over if I do get shot because I know if I'm aware enough to know I've gotten shot I'll probably be aware enough to fight back and possibly even make it until medical help arrives.
    That's "good pain." It lets you know you are hurt, but still alive and able to fight back.

If possible, it'd be a good idea to carry Celox or a Quik-Clot dressing with you. A knife is also helpful, as you can use it to cut strips of clothing to make a bandage, tournequet, etc. Most importantly - know same basic first aid, including how to self administer.
    Erick46590 and Bark'n like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    85% may survive,but I will bet a large percentage are permanently handicapped from the Injuries,everything from spinal cord injuries to damages to arms/legs causing mobility issues,to internal damage needing colostomy bags,some head wounds may be survivable,but leaves the person in a vegetative state.Some bullet wounds are thru and thru soft tissue causing no damage to any muscles nerves or ligaments
    Indeed. Also, 85% is ALL GSWs with ALL calibers. Maybe a lot of "shot myself in the arm with my .22 due to ND" mixed in there. I can't prove it, but I have a feeling that if you clarify the subset to "shot COM with a service caliber JHP" the survival number drops considerably.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    DOn't discount the 22 as a man-killer. I saw a guy shot once in the arm with a 22 rifle. Most of his blood was bubbled out his mouth and nose onto his chest due to a lethal lung/vessel wound.

There are so many unknown variables that determine this statistic (if true). Caliber, intent, number of rounds, negligence, etc.

Remember, a handgun is what you carry when you can't carry a rifle. You reap the benefits of conceal-ability and reduced weight by trading away better injury potential and the ability to engage targets with greater accuracy at further distance.

Bottom line, getting shot is bad, surviving makes it better.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Alot of great comments on here. I agree,there a lot of factors at play and they can definitely have an affect on that statistic (if it's true).

I also agree with having the suspicion that a lot of those GSWs end up leaving the person with a disability or has left behind some kind of life altering injury. My mom was accidentally shot with a shotgun several years ago. She was lucky in that she did not experience the full load of birdshot that grazed the back of her knees when she was shot. A couple of feet behind where she was standing was small holes where the birdshot had penetrated the wall and floor.

By the grace of God, she survived. She had to have a skin graph to repair the area where she was shot. The graphed skin is more delicate than the rest of her normal skin and because of this, she has to apply oil to injured area everyday. At first, she had to go to PT and perform stretches everyday to keep this area from tensing up. I know she still buys the oil for the graphed area but I don't think she still does the stretches like she should. A strange thing is that after all of these years, once and a while there is black grit that works out of her legs. When she was shot, they told her that they could not dig all of the birdshot out because it would do more damage than what she had already incurred from the birdshot. They told her that the birdshot, however, would continue to work itself out of her legs over time.

I also agree that the listed percentage is also a reflection of the quality of medical care that we have today. Medical advancements are continuing to extend the life expectancy rate that we have today. With helicopters that can fly someone with the most dire wound to the most advanced medical facility in a matter of minutes, a GSW that would have killed someone 50 years ago would fail to do so today.

Thank you everyone for your input. ;-)
    DCG

Senior Moderator
    85% of people that get shot live.
    That leaves 15% to die.

Even though 15% doesent seem like much to the rest of us, it will seem like a lot if you are the one that got shot.

My plan is to not get shot.
    Bark'n likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    One thing that people tend to overlook is the dramatic improvement that has been made in emergency medical care. A shot that might have been fatal only a few years ago is now survivable.

BINGO!!!

In my experience... This is the most likely reason for that lopsided statistic. I have personally seen quite a few people shot. Some die, some dont. Most live, but I dont think it's 85%. I've also seen many times the medical staff in several hospitals do miracles. Even bring them back from the dead...

I'd like to see the source of the stats, the time period, the sampling, and the scientific method used to get this statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    85% of people that get shot live.
    That leaves 15% to die.

Even though 15% doesent seem like much to the rest of us, it will seem like a lot if you are the one that got shot.

My plan is to not get shot.
    Words to live by...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I've been trying to find out where this statistic comes from and have found that it is quoted quite often but without reference. It appears that this is a partial quote. The quoted statistic that is quoted alot says, 85% of people that are shot survive but 65% of people that are stabbed survive.

I'll keep searching and if I can find the study, I'll post it on here.
    DCG

VIP Member
    Better care has helped a lot of our fighting men and women survive trauma that would have been fatal in past wars. No one escapes GSW without a life changing scar. In fact, victims of any kind of violence will have an altered perspective on life. The odds of survival don't mean much to those who don't survive. The odds of being shot are higher among those who participate in gunfights. With so many variables, these statistics are suspect. The important lesson here is that, failing avoidance, we keep on fighting in spite of the odds.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

RKM
    Lack of shot placement and improved medical attention is the reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links