Finished my first Stephen Hunter Novel....

This is a discussion on Finished my first Stephen Hunter Novel.... within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While researching for a book to read last month, I stumbled across a review of Hunter's Pale Horse Coming, which eluded to the use of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Finished my first Stephen Hunter Novel....

VIP Member

Finished my first Stephen Hunter Novel....

While researching for a book to read last month, I stumbled across a review of Hunter's Pale Horse Coming, which eluded to the use of Infamous lawmen and other shootists as thinly veiled characters in the book, I was intrigued. After a little more reading and discovered the novels main protagonist was the father of Bob Lee Swagger, and this was novel #2 in the series, I decided I would start with Hot Springs, the first novel in the Earl Swagger series.
    I found Hot Springs to a very enjoyable read. Again Hunter uses real places, events, and people as inspiration which makes the history nerd in me very happy indeed! So if you are both a history buff and enjoy a good "hardboiled" tale, then you may find this book as fun as I did.

I picked up Pale Horse Coming yesterday, I was already about 80 to 90 pages in when I forced myself to put it down and go to sleep.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

2. Remove Ads

The only novel of his I did not like as much was "Havana".

He makes for a great read, though. You might also enjoy Lee Child's series of Jack Reacher novels.
    bps3040 and swiftyjuan like this.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Havana was still a good read, but Hot Springs is, IMHO, the best-written of Hunter's books, and Pale Horse Coming was just satisfying for everyone who's ever read gun writers from the last 100 years. All of Hunter's other books are better than average or good, even his bad ones, but Hot Springs is a tightly written novel with a great sense of tone.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Senior Moderator
    I have started Hot Springs at least 10 times..lol.

It's not that I don't want to finish it or that it isn't good but it's a thick book and something always seems to slow me down or distract me from finishing. I did get to listen to the abridged version while on a trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania and back. I look forward to one day finishing actually reading the book. You might have inspired me to put it on the top of my "books to read" list. The book I'm reading now is dreadfully dull and I find myself skipping many pages.

JD is a big Stephen Hunter fan and has read the whole Swagger series.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

It's not that I don't want to finish it or that it isn't good but it's a thick book and something always seems to slow me down or distract me from finishing. I did get to listen to the abridged version while on a trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania and back. I look forward to one day finishing actually reading the book. You might have inspired me to put it on the top of my "books to read" list. The book I'm reading now is dreadfully dull and I find myself skipping many pages.

Try Hot Springs again, after the first third I felt it went really fast. I am considering reading all of the Swagger books myself.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

I've read them all atleast once or twice myself.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    The only novel of his I did not like as much was "Havana".

He makes for a great read, though. You might also enjoy Lee Child's series of Jack Reacher novels.

Jack Reacher,a great character.I think a new one comes out this month.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Another writer that I tend to enjoy is Clive Cussler. He too tends to take some piece of history and then builds outrageous, action packed stories from that.

I've read every book he's published, wait'n on the next one. Also like Tony Hillerman, C J Box's Joe Pickett books, James Lee Burke and Lee Child.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Shooter. Try to read the series in sequence, if you can. Great reading. Also, as Satori says, Jack Reacher is pretty cool. You might take a look at Brad Thor, if you haven't.

I'm a huge Stephen Hunter fan. I've read all of his books up (minus the spy ones, not my thing) through his latest "Dead Zero." I love the Swagger series, but I also highly recommend "Master Sniper" and "Day Before Midnight." I really wish they would make "Day Before Midnight" into a movie as it is an excellent story.

That said, I gave my mom "Point of Impact" to read and she didn't like it saying it went into too much detail with the firearms, but that's exactly why I like it.

There's a new book coming out in December called "Soft Target" and from the overview I've read of it, it basically covers us CCW people with our worst nightmare.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    I've read every book he's published, wait'n on the next one. Also like Tony Hillerman, C J Box's Joe Pickett books, James Lee Burke and Lee Child.
    Love the Dave Robicheaux character.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Thanks for the Recommendations guys, much appreciated. I am almost finished with "Pale Horse Coming", should finish it tonight. I think I'll read Point of Impact next.

If you like Hunter and the Swagger series, or Burke and the Robicheaux series, try reading John Sandford's "Lucas Davenport" Prey series. I've read all of Hunter's except for Pale Horse, all of Burke's Robicheaux series, and guess I need to read Lee Child now.......

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenderguy View Post
    If you like Hunter and the Swagger series, or Burke and the Robicheaux series, try reading John Sandford's "Lucas Davenport" Prey series. I've read all of Hunter's except for Pale Horse, all of Burke's Robicheaux series, and guess I need to read Lee Child now.......
    Try Andrew Vachss's "Burke" series also. The Burke Series by Andrew Vachss : The Zero 5.0laf - The Official Website of Andrew Vachss
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links