Just 2 Seconds

Just 2 Seconds

This is a discussion on Just 2 Seconds within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody read it? It's by Gavin DeBecker (et al)... Author of The Gift of Fear . 2 Seconds is about the 2 seconds (and always ...

Thread: Just 2 Seconds

Just 2 Seconds

Anybody read it?

It's by Gavin DeBecker (et al)... Author of The Gift of Fear. 2 Seconds is about the 2 seconds (and always <5 seconds) during which attacks (particularly assassinations) occur. It's a big book, but only 140 pages is "reading material." The soft cover is... wait for it...

~ $58.00.

For my Kindle, it's ~$25 Really pricey for 140 pages... but I'm considering it, nevertheless.

This Amazon Link Allows you to read quite a bit of the book, and the reviews listed are all positive. While the book is designed for those in personal protection, Some regular folks seemed to find it gripping as well.

I'd like some input. ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE READ IT! otherwise, if you have read the excerpts... do you think it would be advantageous RE: SA, preparation, etc.?
    Last edited by oakchas; November 4th, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

24 hours, no response... Guess I'll have to get it and give y'all a review, huh? Just realize it'll be on my kindle, so there won't be any "paying it forward" on this one...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

KDV
    Seems like an interesting read... can't wait to hear what you think about it.
    The perpetual changes which have been rung upon the wealthy, the well-born, and the great, have been such as to inspire the disgust of all sensible men.
    Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers No. 85

I read it when it was first published. It was interesting, but my recollection is that there seemed to be few takeaways for the normal person concerned about self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Unisaw View Post
    I read it when it was first published. It was interesting, but my recollection is that there seemed to be few takeaways for the normal person concerned about self defense.
    I have to disagree... I am into the final chapter before the compendium. There is a great deal of valuable information for the self defender. But like any tool, it might need to modified a bit to use for your own purposes.

So far, I am finding it fascinating. But, with that said, it is still pricey for the information delivered so far.

He does recommend On Combat by Grossman, and a few others we've all heard of or have.

I will give a thorough review, as soon as I have completed it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Okay the first part is done... prior to the compendium of attacks. Just keeping you up to date... "patience grashopper(s)."

There is quite a bit VERY worthwhile in the first part of the book. Ideas isn't the right word, but nuances perhaps, of being more effective in SA, for example.

one thing I found very interesting, the protectors train with simunitions(r) at close range, with no armor. Draws blood it does. And an interesting methodology of training FoF, one that really gets your blood going. And BTW, if you wanna work for him.. NO nicotene. more chapter by chapter details later...

The only part I don't like so far is reading it on the kindle... the pictures are not as clear as they could be.. and the print goes over the pictures... making it hard to read in spots. It better not have ruined the compendium.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

3D
    Doesn't "the 2 seconds" refer to the time lapse between the attacker making a committed move and the defender RECOGNIZING it as a committed attack?

Does the author instruct about ways to recognize threat faster?
    Does the author instruct about ways to negate a recognized threat faster?

Apologies for all the questions____I've been thinking about buying it but like you said . . it's pricey.
    I have read his book: "The Gift of Fear"
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Doesn't "the 2 seconds" refer to the time lapse between the attacker making a committed move and the defender RECOGNIZING it as a committed attack?
    Sort of... most of the attacks are completely over in less than 5 seconds... but for the most part, you are correct. What is done in the interim can (obviously) affect the final outcome.
    Does the author instruct about ways to recognize threat faster?
    Yes, he gives some methodology for SA and determining suspected actors (in a crowd, particularly).

Does the author instruct about ways to negate a recognized threat faster?
    Against a protectee definitely; against yourself, possibly.
    Apologies for all the questions____I've been thinking about buying it but like you said . . it's pricey.
    I have read his book: "The Gift of Fear"
    Between the two books, one could make a toolset for avoiding evolving situations, if "The Gift of Fear" isn't enough to get you out of a situation... before it occurs.

No need to apologize for questions... Right now, I'm leaning towards this not being a great book for the individual unless one wants to go into the protections game.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Okay, I've finished it... I do want to give a good report on it... so be patient... lots of bookmarks in my kindle to sort out... and cull...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Certainly might be a good read. General students of strategy and tactics should own a copy of Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings and Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

The first is more for the individual fighter and the second more for the officer, but both have timeless wisdom proven over hundreds of years in practical application. Importantly, both books contain knowledge you can apply in general situations - not just violent combat.

Also, to study FoF situations, you'll usually get your best bang for the buck by actually practicing such encounters.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Amazing weapon.I first time get information about this.Let me buy this and we will have trial together. Thanks for the sharing friend.

Links