Great essay: "The Truth About Violence"

This is a discussion on Great essay: "The Truth About Violence" within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can hear it now; animals have morals, so it is immoral to eat them or hunt them for food. And , it that case ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Great essay: "The Truth About Violence"

I can hear it now; animals have morals, so it is immoral to eat them or hunt them for food. And , it that case they would have rights, so it would be immoral to own them. Bunch of hogwash proganda probably sponsored by PETA or some other tree hugging society.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Yes, this subject does walk dangerously close to religion. Let me leave it with this: my religious views are definitely not main stream and I definitely eat animals. Some may consider this immoral and I respect their view to abstain. Morality is also different than right and wrong, but this too can be influenced by and subject to one's religious beliefs. I am also of the opinion that good and evil are man made concepts, not universal absolutes or external forces. An animal that kills does not do so to be evil.

I still don't see what this has to do with the wisdom of the blog linked to in an earlier thread. I don't see where one has to agree with another's religious view to understand the wisdom of their words.
    Last edited by noway2; November 10th, 2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: typo
    Ishmael likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I researched his writings. He is apparently an athiest with the view that we are our own God, and that science and human secularism is our moral compass. He trys to use a common sense approach to everything, including self defense.

Of course, the fallacy here is that in the absence of belief, there can be no inherent good or evil.

Too each his own, but I personally find it completely without substance.
    Interesting, so does that mean that a Christian person writing about self defense holds no or less substance to me?
    I really donít get why someoneís religious beliefs have to match up to yours to have substance in this case.

I didn't say that, you did. It's my opinion, my right by birth to express them. You don't agree, I don't care. I do not compromise my beliefs or values to fit in or be politically correct, and I do not get into " coexistence" period.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

JD
    Administrator

Getting closer and closer to the realm of "Religious debate"

I'm cool JD, I'll get out so there's hope for it to go on:)

Glad to see this essay posted here. I was getting ready to post it myself and was rather surprised to see I'd been beaten to the punch. One problem I foresaw with linking to it, however, was that it was written by the neuroscientist Sam Harris. Along with Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawson, he's one of the leading proponents of a new era in Western discourse. This does make him a rather contentious figure.

On the other hand, there's nothing in the essay that pertains to his philosophical work, and he does have credentials as a student and teacher of martial arts. So I was very curious to see what he had to say about the matter.

And, in reading the essay, I thought that his words should very much be shared with this community. Over and over, we see conflicts here and differences of opinion that stem from the idea that carrying a concealed firearm (or any weapon) confers upon the owner some sort of license to thwart evil, right wrongs, and protect the innocent. Or not.

Harris adds some serious points for discussion. Especially his suggestions about de-escalation and the self-defense mindset.

I researched his writings. He is apparently an athiest with the view that we are our own God
    No, that's totally wrong. I've read two of his books and read numerous essays by him, and I can state from that perspective that the quote above is 100-percent incorrect. In any case, it's immaterial. His thoughts on self-defense stand on their own and do not require any back-reading of his work to evaluate them in the proper context.

If there's one good takeaway from the essay, it's his observation that you should never comply with the criminal's demands if resistance is possible.
    shooterX, Ishmael, OPFOR and 1 others like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    So? Like is self defense just a freedom of choice?

Apparently. How passe.

3D
    "Eat the fish . . . . spit out the bones".
    [Take what's useful . . . reject what's not.]

We can evaluate the content on its own merits.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

KSP
    Great essay. Thanks for the link. I sent it to a bunch of people I know
    Bkrazy likes this.

I liked it. Thanks for the reference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links