In the Gravest Extreme...Delivered today!

This is a discussion on In the Gravest Extreme...Delivered today! within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just like the title states, I have finally got my hands on a copy of masaad ayoob's- In the Gravest Extreme. I tried to get ...

Thread: In the Gravest Extreme...Delivered today!

In the Gravest Extreme...Delivered today!

Just like the title states, I have finally got my hands on a copy of masaad ayoob's- In the Gravest Extreme. I tried to get this book on my kindle as that is the way I usually read these days, unfortunately it is not available as an ebook. After weeks of trying to find in bookstores I decided to just buy it from amazon and wait on shipping.

Just got home from being away working for 7 days, and to my surprise, there it was waiting on my doorstep when I got back! I hope to read through this book once straight through and then pore over the details until I think I've got it down... Then hopefully I can get the book in circulation on here for others to read... From what I understand it is a "must read" for any CCW.

Will post my thoughts on book after completion... I hope to learn a lot!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think it is already in circulation in a “Pay it forward…” thread, but if you are willing to put another copy out there, I don’t think it will sit around long.

I have had very little luck in getting shooting related books on Kindle. I have a couple from Gabe Suarez and something else I can’t recall right now. Usually those publishers are not going to accept the rates Amazon pays, so hardcopy it is.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

It is a must read.

A bit dated in ammo selection info, but for mindset, it'd timeless.

Agreed with MitchellCT. When I first decided to carry many years ago, a friend who had been carrying for quite some time gave me a copy of this book. The weapons and ammo selection truly show their dated (1977?) criteria, as autos were mostly 1911s and Hi Powers. Hi Vel was the ammo of the day. As I recall, Ayoob recommended the 9mm only if it was a Browning Hi Power. His reasoning was not so much that it was an effective defense cartridge, rather that the handgun itself was so well made.

Times have changed. Weapon choices are much greater. Ammo is so much better now that there really is not much of a comparison.

But everything in that book is gospel. Just add in all the new weaponry and ammunition available, and you are good to go. I also suggest the Gun Digest book of Concealed Carry and the Gun Digest book of Combat Handgunnery, both by the same author.

I guess I don't understand why folks have such a difficult time finding this book. Google is your friend - from Page 1 of a search "Ayoob in the gravest extreme":

Armor of New Hampshire: Author: Massad Ayoob - Books

Enjoy the book. It's a great one.

Doc

it's on amazon:

In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection

which of his other books would you recommend reading too?
    Book list: Massad F. Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by samefly View Post
    it's on amazon:

In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection

which of his other books would you recommend reading too?
    Book list: Massad F. Ayoob
    I have previously read the Gun Digest- Book of Concealed Carry... very informative, i'm about half way through The Gravest Extreme, definately learning a lot...

A must read for every CCW. My wife is getting her CCW and it is one of the books I gave her to read. For ladies that carry, a good site for them is
    The Cornered Cat.

Cornered Cat

They also have a book called The Cornered Cat. Good information. The author is Kathy Jackson. Managing Editor of Conceal Carry
    Magazine.

Years ago, I read a copy I borrowed from the Library under inter-library loan. I read it two or three times. And loaned it to a couple of friends who were waiting for their permits (who also read it) before it was due back.

It is the "pocket bible" for CCrs as far as mindset is concerned (as MitchellCT mentioned).

As a result of this post, and the fact that Mas has not re-issued or come out with a new edition, I decided to purchase a copy new. I do wish he'd make an e book out of it...
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

I just ordered mine on EBay for a good price and just purchased the Snubby Revolver on Kindle for my IPad. I have read the two mentioned Gun Digest books, nice. Chris Bird's book is good. I want to get No Second Place Winners and Stress Fire vol. 1

Links