What would be the only book about CCW-ing?

What would be the only book about CCW-ing?

This is a discussion on What would be the only book about CCW-ing? within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan to get a CCW permit in the near future (within 2-3 moths.) Many books on the market...I already bought one (junk) so I'd ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What would be the only book about CCW-ing?

I plan to get a CCW permit in the near future (within 2-3 moths.)
    Many books on the market...I already bought one (junk) so I'd like to save time and money too that's the reason of my post.
    What would be the ultimate - the only book what you would recommend? (maybe the top 2-3 books)
    I'd like to educate myself about CCW-ing. I'm not looking for a how to shoot a handgun - what gun etc. book.

I would appreciate your opinion Folks.

search the reviews here the books have been cover pretty much . except the newest ones out there

If I were trapped on a desert island and could only have one "carry" type book with me, it would have to be: "In The Gravest Extreme," by Massad Ayoob. It's one of the most concise, oldest texts I have, but in many ways it's also the most current. Very applicable to what CCW/CHL means, in practice. Doesn't cover much about holsters, guns or "light" stuff; rather, it focuses on the practical realities of carrying, security, legalities.

Of course, being trapped on an island might not be so bad. Folks in Fiji or Vanuatu don't seem to have it that bad. Pass me another Mai Tai ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    If I could only have one, I'd have The Book of Combat Handgunnery, Fourth Edition, by Chuck Taylor. If I could cheat and sneak two others on somehow, I'd take Massad Ayoob's The Truth About Self Protection and the aforementioned In the Gravest Extreme.

Only one?...say it ain't so!

In the Gravest Extreme. I remember thinking when I read it several years ago that it should be mandatory for anyone who was going to carry. I haven't looked at it in years, there may be some dated equipment info, but the principles and premise is still great.
    Last edited by sheepdog; August 20th, 2006 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling!

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I agree

I agree, too. I will also recommend "In the Gravest Extreme" as well as "Essential Guide to Handguns".

Several Good Ones...

have already been mentioned, but there are a lot of good reads! Like any other subject...some junk...some redundant (and they repeat the same info, too! )...you just have to read reviews and visit the BIG book stores.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The new NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home looks promising. It seems to be an expanded version of the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection in the Home, which is the basis for many concealed carry courses.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    STREET SURVIVAL---TACTICS FOR ARMED ENCOUNTERS
    www.calibrepress.com
    It can also be found used at www.barnesandnoble.com inm the used book link.

If I had to suggest only one book, it would be "Fighting Smarter" by Tom Givens.
    I don't usually like "catch-all" books, but this one stands out as being the best I've seen. It covers the basics like carry methods and gun selection, and touches on tactics, but also gets into details like characteristics of predators, what to do after a shooting.
    The bad news is that I don't think it's available in print form now, only in a CD-rom version (if that is bad news).

If you would want more than a single book, then I'd suggest the above, plus:

"Principles of Personal Defense"- Jeff Cooper, which is about getting the proper mindset. It's short, around 44 pages, and should be read at least once, if not once or twice a year.

"Tactical Reality" and "More Tactical Reality"- Louis Awerbuck. These are collections of magazine columns, all of which will make you think. The info may focus on various subjects, but always makes you stop and look at what you are doing.

In Gravest Extreme, the Bird book and the Givens book are all great, particularly for the mindset. I have a couple of Suarez books and they have been fairly helpful in terms of technique because they have lots of pictures to show technique. If I were only going to read one however, I would read Bird's book. It is simply more comprehensive than the others.

JBZ

I will go with several others and agree with the Bird book. I would put "In the Gravest Extreme" right up with it, but Birds writing style really drives home the points he is making. Also it was one of the few "handgunning" books that I genuinely didn't want to put down.

As a third book (after gravest extreme), you could look at Ralph Mroz's "Defensive Shooting for Real-Life Encounters", which I found to be a fairly interesting viewpoint.

I would suggest you also look if any local writers have written any books in regards to your states local laws.

I also agree. I have this one on loan to another ccw right now, but can't wait to get it back. I want to let my wife, mother, and a few anti's read it.

Good review Captain!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links