How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO

This is a discussion on How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by joker1 I've yet to be stopped since carrying. I imagine I would stop, shut off the vehicle, roll down window, place both ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I've yet to be stopped since carrying. I imagine I would stop, shut off the vehicle, roll down window, place both hands on steering wheel, greet officer, inform him/her that I am licensed to carry, inform him/her where it is, and ask how he/she would like to proceed. I carry on my right hip and my wallet with ID/Permit is in the right front pocket, I don't want to be reaching in that area until they are informed and comfortable.
    Joker, you got it exactly correct! That's the way you are supposed to do it in Ohio. Only difference is, I carry my wallet with ID/CHL in left rear pocket. You aren't supposed to reach for anything until the officer tells you to do so.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    I was also stopped today. He saw my permit and asked if I was armed. I said I had a unloaded .22 on the seat and a Bodyguard in my pocket. He asked for the Bodyguard. I cleared it and handed it to him. He took it back to his car and wrote m a ticket. I thought it strange he didn't ask to see the .22 .

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Joker, you got it exactly correct! That's the way you are supposed to do it in Ohio. Only difference is, I carry my wallet with ID/CHL in left rear pocket. You aren't supposed to reach for anything until the officer tells you to do so.
    So what do I win? Free internets or a pleasant interaction with an LEO?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I was also stopped today. He saw my permit and asked if I was armed. I said I had a unloaded .22 on the seat and a Bodyguard in my pocket. He asked for the Bodyguard. I cleared it and handed it to him. He took it back to his car and wrote m a ticket. I thought it strange he didn't ask to see the .22 .
    Well you told him it was unloaded and besides it's just a .22. What di you you get stopped/ticketed for? If you don't mind saying so here. And where on Earth are you?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The one time I was stopped was for tossing my cig out of the window. Ignorant on my part not to mention the risk of starting a fire. (Mountain area) This occurred at night.

After I pulled over I turned off the ignition and turned on my dome lights and flashers. I placed my hands at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the steering wheel and then waited for the officer to approach. He ran my license plate when he pulled me over and knew immediately I had a CCW as this information is provided via his in-car MCB.

He said, "Good evening, are you carrying this evening?"

I said yes and my gun is holstered on my right hip.

He said, "Keep your hands away from it and we'll be fine."

Then the typical scenario…Do you know why…etc.

No ticket, just a friendly warning about my careless (and illegal) behavior. Thats all that happened.

I was in my sixties when it happened and my car was relatively new. I only mention this as I think age, appearance and maturity plays a role whether its fair or not.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I know hundreds of LEO's. I cant think of a single one that is not 100% pro legal carry. Seems that people are often surprised by a pro-carry comment by a LEO. Oh well Glad it worked out for you.

^^^^^^^^^YOU obviously^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have never met a Detroit police officer, or for that matter,one from just about any major city in this country.

While some of them DO believe in the right to carry, they are far outnumbered by their fellow workers.

As far as how to handle a traffic stop, Michigan is a must inform, and my instructor said there's no better way to inform than to jump out of my vehicle, pull my gun out and run toward the officer to show him.

Just spoofin'!!!
    Harryball and lionround like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Re: How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO

In Arkansas LEO 's figure on 90% of their stops to be armed now (not necessarily ccw). One guy I know when stopped presented the officer with his drivers license and CHCL. The officer tossed the Concealed Handgun Carry License back at him, saying, I didn' ask for that. He still got the traffic ticket.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

VIP Member
    Know your state laws. I do not live in a must inform state, so I will provide only the information for which I am asked. But that's just me. Others may do things differently. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, as long as the answer complies with your state laws.

Another issue to add to your knowledge bases, for us bikers, we have it a bit tougher, both for carry and also the officers approach, once you have been pulled over, (IF).
    I wear gloves, as you know, most of our safety gear is black, big and all over us, I shutdown the beast, put it on the sidestand, and then just sit there and wait, I don't start pulling my big gloves off, I won't move other than to turn to greet the LEO. While riding, I carry my wallet, with DL and permits, in my right jacket pocket, I don't use the typical biker chained wallet. I would advise the LEO where my wallet is after taking of my gloves and putting them in the Fairing. As you may well know, bikes don't typically have dash boards, glove boxes, windows to roll down, interior lighting, and nowhere to put things on a seat, we also carry our Registration either under the seat in a water tight case or in our wallets. Now for carry issues, in the car/truck, I carry cross draw, on my left hip, or SOB style. On the bike, I will just stay cross draw, but would not be able to draw while moving, the old throttle hand is kind of tied up, am thinking about a lefty holster to carry cross draw on my right hip for left hand use. Or a shoulder holster. So many choices lol. And also having a place to secure the firearm if needed can become an issue also. Although the bike is a full dresser with three lockable places.
    Stay safe and do what you have to do !
    Ret Navy, Former Leo.
    Keith44 likes this.

Ex Member
    I USED to carry my permit next to my D.L. I got stopped, doing 62 in a 55, he asked if I was armed I replied "yes." Thinks went to heck from there. He pulled his Glock and pointing it at my head told me to SLOWLY remove my gun, S&W Bodyguard, unload it, and hand it to him. He then called my plates in, and checked on my gun S.N.
    Local former county prosecutor, Gregg Garrison, has a radio show in Indy. He advised to NEVER show your carry permit unless asked. From now on I will take that advise.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    He pulled his Glock and pointing it at my head
    This kind of behavior is going to get him killed someday.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^YOU obviously^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

have never met a Detroit police officer, or for that matter,one from just about any major city in this country.

While some of them DO believe in the right to carry, they are far outnumbered by their fellow workers.

As far as how to handle a traffic stop, Michigan is a must inform, and my instructor said there's no better way to inform than to jump out of my vehicle, pull my gun out and run toward the officer to show him.

Just spoofin'!!!
    Granted I do not know many (I know 2) Detroit officers. All two (LOL) that I know are pro carry. I do however know lots of NYPD (lived in NY 28 years). I stand by my statement. I do not know ANY that are not pro-citizen-carry. The officers I know do not agree with the NY gun laws. They simply have to uphold the laws if they agree or not.

You stated to me that "some" believe in the right to carry, but they are "far out numbered" by their fellow workers who do not. What are you basing this on? I'm basing my challenge on a personal relationship with several hundred officers. I literally cannot think of a single officer that is not 100% pro-carry. (assuming of course we are talking about law abiding citizens with a little training and common sense).

I'm sorry there are people out there who have such negative interactions, but I can assure you it is the exception, not the rule.

In Colorado we are not required to inform the officer unless asked. That being said I have moved my registration and insurance to above the visor and if stopped I would pull out my wallet before the officer approached.

The wallet would then go on the dash if I needed access to my permit. Hands stay visible at 10 and 2. If asked to exit the vehicle I would do exactly what the video demonstrated. My initial plan was to inform the officer right away but was advised against that at my CHP legal class.
    ColoradoNative likes this.
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCR 357
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    RMGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This kind of behavior is going to get him killed someday.
    likely it will, it also is bad for public relations

I've not been pulled over in many years, but regularly have to pass through drunk checks err umm rather random courtesy vehicle safety stop points In these cases the LEO's are not asking unless there is an issue that needs to be explored. When approaching these areas (if I am in my truck) I turn on the dome lights, open the window, and remove my wallet from the door pocket before the officer(s) approach. I get the DL out while resting my forearms on top of the steering wheel so my hands are in plain sight. I try to speak first to the closest LEO, by asking something like "How ya doin?" or Just simply "Howdy". Most of the time they are surprised and tend to relax a bit. When riding "The Mistress" (my wifes name for my motorcycle) I pull to a stop, put it in neutral, both feet on the ground, and both hands on the bars until a LEO asks for something. Since I carry small of the back, strong side, I tell them before I reach for the wallet in the pocket just below. So far the worst reaction I've had was being asked what it was for... FYI answering people popping is not a very good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links