How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO

This is a discussion on How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got stopped this morning for speeding (trying to get the grandkids to school on time), LEO asks for my license which I keep in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO

How to Act When You Get Stopped by LEO

I got stopped this morning for speeding (trying to get the grandkids to school on time), LEO asks for my license which I keep in the same place as my permit. He spots the permit and asked me if I was armed. I said yes, he says on your hip, I say yes would you like to see it? He replied no. He comes back with a warning for speeding, and says "thanks for carrying we need all the protection we can get"! Now, I watched an online video with Massaad Myob in it and followed it to the T. If you haven't seen it I recommend you do. He tells you exactly what to do if you get stopped and it is on the money. I never would have thought I would get a thanks from a LEO for carrying! Wonderful outcome.
    DamnitBob, mprp, mano3 and 2 others like this.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

2. Remove Ads

I would hand the officer my drivers license and my ccw permit at the same time.
    perfection likes this.

link?

stevenshizzle likes this.

I have an NRA "wallet" that holds two items. That is where I keep my DL and Permit. So when I open it both are clearly visible. The Minnesota permit to carry is extremely easy to recognize. Had it been dark I would hand LEO both of them.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Stop Speeding

Amen We must pay attention to everything we are doing at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrow6272 View Post
    I got stopped this morning for speeding (trying to get the grandkids to school on time), LEO asks for my license which I keep in the same place as my permit. He spots the permit and asked me if I was armed. I said yes, he says on your hip, I say yes would you like to see it? He replied no. He comes back with a warning for speeding, and says "thanks for carrying we need all the protection we can get"! Now, I watched an online video with Massaad Myob in it and followed it to the T. If you haven't seen it I recommend you do. He tells you exactly what to do if you get stopped and it is on the money. I never would have thought I would get a thanks from a LEO for carrying! Wonderful outcome.
    I know hundreds of LEO's. I cant think of a single one that is not 100% pro legal carry. Seems that people are often surprised by a pro-carry comment by a LEO. Oh well Glad it worked out for you.

VIP Member
    Here we go again. Everyone should be very familiar with the must inform laws of their individual state, and act accordingly. I would NOT recommend, nor do I teach the method demonstrated in the video for licensees in Ohio.
    suntzu and JDE101 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Glad it worked out for you.

However, my state (AL) is a "must inform if asked" state. Hence, I won't be giving the LEO my CCW/CPL or that I'm carrying a gun, it's simply none of his business. If he wants to know if I'm armed and he's that worried about it (i.e. the officer safety excuse) then he can ask. The only exceptions are if he were to ask (obviously) or if he asked to step out of the vehicle.

Mas' advice is excellent for those that live in "must inform" states like OH et al. On this issue however, I disagree with him in states that are must inform if asked.

My .02.
    suntzu, mano3 and mrjam2jab like this.

I am not commenting this time. Been there, done that. I will just hand out LIKES to show my support of my view,if they don't ask and it is not the law, don't offer
    mrjam2jab and rottkeeper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here we go again. Everyone should be very familiar with the must inform laws of their individual state, and act accordingly. I would NOT recommend, nor do I teach the method demonstrated in the video for licensees in Ohio.
    Are folks in Ohio working to change the silly must inform law?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Are folks in Ohio working to change the silly must inform law?
    Those who have a problem with it are. Noteworthy exceptions notwithstanding, it is a very simple law to comply with.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I've yet to be stopped since carrying. I imagine I would stop, shut off the vehicle, roll down window, place both hands on steering wheel, greet officer, inform him/her that I am licensed to carry, inform him/her where it is, and ask how he/she would like to proceed. I carry on my right hip and my wallet with ID/Permit is in the right front pocket, I don't want to be reaching in that area until they are informed and comfortable.
    kb2wji, sixgun, JDE101 and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Galls has a double ID leather case that holds two ID's for $14.00. I carry my Driver License and Carry License in this ID case.

Police Gear | Police Equipment | Tactical Gear | 5.11 Tactical | Bates Boots | Streamlight | Safariland | Galls
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links