POLICE PISTOLCRAFT by Mike Conti.

This is a discussion on POLICE PISTOLCRAFT by Mike Conti. within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the year 2000, veteran Mass State Police Trooper Mike Conti was offered to head up a new Firearms Training Unit (FTU) for his agency. ...

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

In the year 2000, veteran Mass State Police Trooper Mike Conti was offered to head up a new Firearms Training Unit (FTU) for his agency.

But it was not until the MSP Colonel informed Mike that the goal of the program was to, "Make our people safe, make sure that they get home at the end of the shift" that Conti accepted the generous offer.

Although well schooled on the modern techique shooting methods, Conti had already decided that this alone left quite a hole in police survival, and made the decision that mindset, Applegate point shooting and a Fairbairn type house of horrors was also needed for a well rounded combat shooting system.

This book is the result of that process, one that was written for police instructors as opposed to civilian and military---who have different missions.

The book begins with Conti's personal journey of finding out what is most practical for survival shooting, and then takes off from there.
    Chapter three is a very good historical perspective of the development of combat shooting, while chapters 3-5 makes the case of why the MSP has been doing what it now teaches.

Chapters 6-7 fully details the training program and chapter 8 explains what is taught in the two week recruit firearms training program.
    Included in all this is a very detailed explaination and description of the MSP "Fun/Kill house and how one can be effectively and at low cost be set up by any department.
    Chapter 9 is titled Monitoring the Results and chapter 10 is called, The Future.
    But the book does not end here, because the next 157 pages are my personal favorite.
    These are a series of well illustrated appendices, such as...

Pistol trivia, courses of fire analysis, range safety, safety in the real world, one handed pistol malfunction techniques, clearing malfunctions ( or as old farts like myself used to call them..JAMS!!!), precision pistol shooting, range/house of horror designs, alternative shooting positions, moving targets, use of Sims and airsoft, what's new in sight R&D and an excellent 11 page description of point shooting.
    IMHO this book is a must have for instructors and well worth the small asking price of $29.95
    Copies can be ordered at www.sabergroup.com

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the heads up Matt - I have way too many books and am well behind on reading but - this does sound a good read.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Very good book. I got one of the first ones when it came out. I think it might have been you Matt that I once told about the Hex Sites. You read in the book where he reviewed sights what he said about the Hex Sights? Michael Conti has the Hex Sights on his gun.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

Forgot about 2 weeks ago Conti and Tim put on a seminar together. Of all places Cal.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up on that one.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Sounds like a good read ill put it on my wish list

Links