Magpul Industries: Art of the Dynamic Handgun

This is a discussion on Magpul Industries: Art of the Dynamic Handgun within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am almost done watching this for the first time and I must say what a great greay watch for the new and intermediate ccw. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Magpul Industries: Art of the Dynamic Handgun

Magpul Industries: Art of the Dynamic Handgun

I am almost done watching this for the first time and I must say what a great greay watch for the new and intermediate ccw. Very thorough and imformative. Wanted to let yall know about it as im sure at leaat some folks havent heard of it, those who have seen it how did you feel about it?

2. Remove Ads

I've heard that in the 3D version Chris Costa's beard comes out of the screen and adjusts your grip and stance as needed...oh and your wife ends up pregnant after

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I've heard that in the 3D version Chris Costa's beard comes out of the screen and adjusts your grip and stance as needed...oh and your wife ends up pregnant after
    Is Chris Costa the Chuck Norris of the firearms industry? Cause if so, I've got a list of jokes that I would LOVE to attribute to him...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Is Chris Costa the Chuck Norris of the firearms industry? Cause if so, I've got a list of jokes that I would LOVE to attribute to him...
    Haha yeah pretty much, he is best known for being the face of Magpul (along with Travis Haley), he was in the USCG in a special operations unit similar to USMC FAST (I can't remember what its called, you probably know it) for 15 or so years...the exact origins of his beard can only be speculated upon, much like the big bang.

For further reference:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris...14567738603722

Chris-Costa-Behind-the-Beard.jpg

Here he looks like the Dos Equis guy's badass little brother...

Sharks have a week dedicated to him
    pittypat21 and john.shewchuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Haha yeah pretty much, he is best known for being the face of Magpul (along with Travis Haley), he was in the USCG in a special operations unit similar to USMC FAST (I can't remember what its called, you probably know it) for 15 or so years...the exact origins of his beard can only be speculated upon, much like the big bang.

For further reference:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris...14567738603722

Here he looks like the Dos Equis guy's badass little brother...
    Oh, I am very well aware of who he is!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Oh, I am very well aware of who he is!

Note that he is carrying at the appendix position rather than Mexican style...the reason? Well, let's just say there isn't room...

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Handgun Dynamics (while quite expensive) is worth every last penny. My shooting skills jumped to a whole new level after watching it.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

I bought a copy of it and the complete set is very good. It has enhanced my "Street Dynamics" when out in public. This is in addition to the other 5 hands on Gun Fighting courses I have taken in the last few years.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I watched it, tried it. Twisted my knees, threw out my back, shot my foot, and have a new baby boy with a full beard. Lawsuit pending.

But it was interesting to watch.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    A good friend of mine turned me on to The Art of the Dynamic Handgun series shortly after I started shooting two and a half years ago. I must have watched those DVDs a million times before my first live training class, and I continue to revisit the "Drills" section routinely.

It's honestly one of the best introductory DVD sets out there for defensive handgun.

That said, it's also definitely not the be-all and end-all. There's a lot of different techniques and different "takes" and variances on the techniques that's out there, and I would encourage everyone to keep an open mind and strive to *_learn_* as much as possible, from as many reputable instructors/schools as possible. While depth-of-knowledge is necessary, breadth-of-knowledge - for a number of reasons - also should not be overlooked.

I have yet to meet Haley, but I have taken a couple of classes under Costa. He's a talented athlete as well as a gifted instructor; and a hilariously good guy to boot, too.

What's important to remember, though, is that these instructors themselves have evolved.

Costa doesn't do much with his YouTube channel, but the Haley Strategic YouTube Channel is quite active. Take a moment to review some of Mr. Haley's newer material, and contrast that with the doctrines he espouses in the Magpul DVDs. Having attended two of Costa's classes last summer, I can personally vouch for the fact that he's evolved, and that some of his old techniques/preferences have gone by the wayside.

And now that those two individuals have left Magpul, it can also be said that Magpul has evolved, too.

These videos remain excellent resources for both the beginner shooter as well as more advanced students of the pistol. Use them as a springboard in your quest for more knowledge. Save up for a live class. It's well worth it.

Haley and Costa together are great. Their classes are worth it, so are their videos. It is not the end all be all, but their mantra is real..You could do a lot worse...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ I really need to get out to one of Haley's classes. I keep hearing such great things about them.

I know his school runs a lot of stuff up in MI. Hey, maybe I'll get to come see you! :)

The Art of series is very educational and very well put together. I highly recommend them all. I especially liked the shotgun series. Not much of a shotgunner and that really helped fill in some gaps.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links