Strong Men Armed by Robert Leckie

This is a discussion on Strong Men Armed by Robert Leckie within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This isn't a "defensive" book or reference but I wasn't sure which other forum to post this in. If you're interested in Marine Corps history, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bovw

Thread: Strong Men Armed by Robert Leckie

Strong Men Armed by Robert Leckie

This isn't a "defensive" book or reference but I wasn't sure which other forum to post this in.

If you're interested in Marine Corps history, WWII, military history, The war in the Pacific, etc., then this is the book to check out. Robert Leckie is an incredible author. It'd been a while since I'd read a book that didn't sound "amateurish" in the writing. As some of you may know, Mr. Leckie wrote I believe more than 40 books in his lifetime, many of which were related to his experience in the war (Helmet for My Pillow), as well as some written about other wars. Robert Leckie combined his own experiences with extensive research for this book. I highly recommend it - HIGHLY.

AND it even has pictures!

Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan: Robert Leckie: 9780306818875: Amazon.com: Books
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

I read that book 40 years ago and I still remember some of it, it is a good one.

John

I have this book, and will always have it. I have trouble getting rid of my Marine books.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Ever since I bought the movie series "The Pacific", I have had a feeling I need to buy some of this guy's books. My dad was a veteran of the Pacific war, and seeing as though I was in the Marines myself, its time I put my money where my mouth is.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by rugergunner View Post
    Ever since I bought the movie series "The Pacific", I have had a feeling I need to buy some of this guy's books. My dad was a veteran of the Pacific war, and seeing as though I was in the Marines myself, its time I put my money where my mouth is.
    Read Eugene Sledge also. I believe his work was included in the series.

James Brady 's stuff about the Corps in Korea is all excellent. Now must have library hunt up Strong Men Armed
    Last edited by Powpig2002; April 20th, 2014 at 06:17 PM.

Links