Great hunting read

This is a discussion on Great hunting read within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If anybody has not heard of Peter H. Capstick and you want a great read check out his big game hunting books. Death in the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Camjr

Thread: Great hunting read

Great hunting read

If anybody has not heard of Peter H. Capstick and you want a great read check out his big game hunting books. Death in the Tall Grass, Death in Silent Places several more. I promise you wont be able to put them down.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have heard of him. I prefer short stories more, particularly those that deal with bird hunting and small game hunting. I have also read some great short stories from the 20's and 30's that we're excellent.

Yes, he was a legend.

A hunter on safari once asked him " what shall I do if I'm attacked by a lion?"
    His response was simple, but absolutely serious. " you feed it your arms and legs, and hope, you don't run out of appendages before someone can shoot the damn thing off of you ".

He was a classic, and is still talked about in the hunting circles there.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Capstick's novels are epic. I've never been to Africa, but he had the ability to take me there from my living room.
    glockman10mm and StormRhydr like this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Its really amazing that most young people wouldnt have a clue what you are talking about. Nothing like a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    Capstick's novels are epic. I've never been to Africa, but he had the ability to take me there from my living room.

I was fortunately able to meet him an Mary in Naples Florida where they had a home they spent a couple of months a year. The home was full of trophy's an unbelievable pictures of his life hunting. He told us about the time he had to dress up in a baseball catchers outfit an had a sawed off shotgun to go into 10 ft high grass after a tiger that had been wounded an killing people in a nearby village. We talk about getting nervous at the atm :) thats when
    I learned of his books. He also told me to read the big shots collection of stories of famous big game hunters from the 20s an 30s an a book I forget the title but was an account of building the transafrican railroad an the two lions that killed over a hundred workers I actually saw those lions they are stuffed an in the field museum in Chicago. This was in the early 80's I heard Mary was retired to Naples.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I forget the title but was an account of building the transafrican railroad an the two lions that killed over a hundred workers I actually saw those lions they are stuffed an in the field museum in Chicago.
    That book would be "Maneaters of Tsavo" by John Henry Patterson. It's not a bad book considering it was written by an engineer as opposed to a professional writer. The first half of the book tells the story of the two lions and Patterson's hunt for them. In the rest of the book Patterson talks about his other hunting adventures while in Africa. There was a movie made that was very loosely based on Patterson's story. "The Ghost and the Darkness" with Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer. It was a pretty good movie, but the filmmakers took a lot of liberties to make it that way.

Links