Sun tzu

This is a discussion on Sun tzu within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have a member with this as his screen name. For those that have never studied war these writings are very prevalent today. Now if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sun tzu

Sun tzu

We have a member with this as his screen name.

For those that have never studied war these writings are very prevalent today. Now if you take the time to read this you will find a way to apply all of it in your daily activities. If you remember when this was written war was not what it is today it was very personal and hand to hand combat. Very similar to what you will find if you have to defend yourself in a life or death struggle.

The thoughts in Sun Tzu are studied by those that still engage in the act of war whether on the streets or in the field. An example that can be useful to us is to understand this quote" If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

Worth study in my opinion.

Respectfully,
    Bill
    tcox4freedom, Badey and suntzu like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    My favorite; "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
    manolito, blitzburgh and msgt/ret like this.

The lessons in "The Art of War" can be applied to many things in life, especially business. I'm an avid reader and it's easily the book I've read the most. I've made it a point to read it at least twice a year. The lessons learned are truly invaluable.
    Aceoky, Hoganbeg and manolito like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I've always liked this quote from him:

"Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays."
    blitzburgh likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

My favorite as it pertains to concealed carry and self defense:

"The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable."
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

A long time ago i read a book called "Zen And The Art Of Archery" at the time i was trying to apply those principles to Photography. I will check Sun Tzu out !
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

One of my favorites:

"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself."
    Aceoky and Brad426 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    In most cases, Sun Tzu's The Art of War is applicable to generals, managers, people who have to direct others in coordinated activity. Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of Five Rings is the text for the urban warrior. Both are essential reading.

You read Sun Tzu to get better at GO, you read Musashi to get better at chess.

In the parking lot, in a store, when you have colleagues with you, when there are multiple opponents, Sun Tzu's advice will shine. When it's the gunslinger scenario, you versus a lone opponent, Musashi will have ideas you can readily deploy. Read both, study them well.
    blitzburgh and manolito like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

One of my top 10 favorite books.
    blitzburgh likes this.

I assign it as an extra credit book for my students. I've read it several times, and lend out my annotated version to the students upon request. It's a great book written by a wise commander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    blitzburgh and manolito like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    In most cases, Sun Tzu's The Art of War is applicable to generals, managers, people who have to direct others in coordinated activity. Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of Five Rings is the text for the urban warrior. Both are essential reading.

You read Sun Tzu to get better at GO, you read Musashi to get better at chess.

In the parking lot, in a store, when you have colleagues with you, when there are multiple opponents, Sun Tzu's advice will shine. When it's the gunslinger scenario, you versus a lone opponent, Musashi will have ideas you can readily deploy. Read both, study them well.
    I suspect there are a variety of translations and versions of the former out there. I bought one e-book with translation by
    Lionel Giles, supposedly with only the original text and no commentary. It was incomprehensible. I couldn't get past the
    first 10 or 15 pages. Citations to better translations with commentary would be appreciated.

The second book sounds like it is worth checking out; if only because you suggested it and I know your mind set about MAs.

Added a moment later: It seems there are various versions available on line. Are you recommending the translation by
    Cleary?
    Last edited by Hopyard; November 30th, 2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: "10 of" changed to "10 or"
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    My favorite; "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
    I can do that after eating a Super Burrito
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I suspect there are a variety of translations and versions of the former out there.
    Very many. A good one is the translation by Thomas Cleary.

There may be better translations, but this one of Musashi is effective.
    Hopyard and manolito like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

It amazes me those who plan not just talk of being ready. Shockwave I have read the novel or folk lore if you will of Musashi is this the same as what you recommend? I am guessing not the title Musashi has been made into movies seven times and is part of the Japanese culture as much as our mark twain. An author or interpretation would be appreciated.

Kindle offers Sun Tzu for $.99 cents probably the best buy today.

I came to share and left learning I have nothing new to share.

Keep safe and aware \
    Respectfully,
    Bill

Perhaps my favorite.... “Every battle is won before it’s ever fought.” This takes into account everything from strategy, leadership, preparedness, intelligence, the skilled use of maneuver and deception, and knowing, using and if possible even selecting the ground on which you fight.
    manolito likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links