"On Killing" By LTC David Grossman

This is a discussion on "On Killing" By LTC David Grossman within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is one of the most powerful books I have read for awhile. I have seen his Bulletproof Mind seminars, both in person and on ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Mike1956
  • 3 Post By rainmaker

Thread: "On Killing" By LTC David Grossman

VIP Member

"On Killing" By LTC David Grossman

This is one of the most powerful books I have read for awhile. I have seen his Bulletproof Mind seminars, both in person and on DVD, and like his personal presentations, this book is superb. Five stars, must read.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Follow it up with "On Combat". Dovetails nicely "On Killing". Grossman does good work.
    Steve

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I heartily concur with both posts above!!!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Good book. I have the Kindle version. I would recommend the hard copy, since it is easier to annotate.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

MJK
    Both are great reads and highly recommended for anyone who carries a firearm for SD.

His presentation on the effects of violent video gaming makes sense to me, though I'm uncertain if his work in this area has been peer-reviewed and independently confirmed.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Both are great reads and highly recommended for anyone who carries a firearm for SD.

His presentation on the effects of violent video gaming makes sense to me, though I'm uncertain if his work in this area has been peer-reviewed and independently confirmed.
    Pick a result, and a study can be cited:
    Video game controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I think the books are excellent. The presentation was good as well, although I found some of it a bit over the top. The books take on a serious topic, and generally do so in a well thought out manner, without the chest-thumping one would expect.

I have a beat to hell copy of On Killing that traveled the globe with me, and was passed around my platoon, that the LtCol. was kind enough to sign when I caught a BFA sponsored presentation a couple years back. I highly recommend it, and On Combat, especially for service members, but a lot of it is applicable to people who conceal carry as well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Both are very good books. And, the Bulletproof Mind DVDs are also very good. All good for mindset / mental preparation.

I have killed hundreds of thousands in FPS (first-person shooters for you non gamers) video games, and I still abhor the idea of killing a person in real life regardless of the circumstances. Fantasy and reality are two different things; people who have difficulties telling the two apart belong in a mental institution, and should not have access to guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I have killed hundreds of thousands in FPS (first-person shooters for you non gamers) video games, and I still abhor the idea of killing a person in real life regardless of the circumstances. Fantasy and reality are two different things; people who have difficulties telling the two apart belong in a mental institution, and should not have access to guns.

OT, but it's not about the thought process for most. Creating an automatic violent response and de-sensitivity to the result of that violence is what is bad. Automatic response thru learned repetition.

This book was certainly a game changer for me. I can't say I would have found out about it were it not for this forum and Bill Mo posts. I'm waiting on the Bullet Proof Mind DVDs
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The key parts for me (I have the epub) are how hard it is for a soldier to actually kill the enemy in battle in cold blood.

Links