Defensive Carry banner

Self Defense Training DVD, or Books

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Gary Brommeland 
#1 ·
I am looking for some REAL good training DVD's for self defense for me and the wife to watch, Combatives, Hand to Hand Combat, for instance. Even a good book. Rather than me buy something that sucks, I would rather go by recommendations, so anybody have any suggestions for me. Thanks!!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!!!!

#4 · (Edited)
Wow, This place is Snoozeville. Guess I am on my own. I ordered a book and 3 videos so if they are any good I will do a short review. Thanks for all the suggestions...NOT!!!!:stups:

#5 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions...NOT!!!!:stups:
Insults after only one day? Gee, impatient much?

I don't own any shooting DVDs, but I can make some book recommendations. The classics of the genre are probably "In the Gravest Exreme" by Massad Ayoob and "Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper. The former is very good with things like when to get involved, shoot/no shoot decisions, and the legal aspects of using deadly force. Cooper's book on the other hand is more in the realm of general principles and mindset.

For the mechanics of personal defense shooting I'd recommend "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning" by John Farnam. It goes through the mechanics of firearms, drawing, shooting, reloads, and clearing stoppages. If you look through the archives of this board you'll see Gabriel Suarez's books recommended a lot. I haven't read any of them, but his "Tactical Pistol Marksmanship" just arrived from Amazon today.

#6 ·
Naaa...I didnt mean it to be an insult, just clowning around. I am impatient though according to my wife. One of the books I ordered was In the Gravest Extreme....and 3 SD books off of a Navy Seals website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.