I have issues with Gun Digest's outdated reissue books.

This is a discussion on I have issues with Gun Digest's outdated reissue books. within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently got a great deal on some nice Gun Digest books at Half Price Books, one of which was a 3 volume Hard-Cover set ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By NRA1945
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By NRA1945
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: I have issues with Gun Digest's outdated reissue books.

I've recently got a great deal on some nice Gun Digest books at Half Price Books, one of which was a 3 volume Hard-Cover set that included Massad Ayoob's Combat Handgunnery. All of these books had a copyright of 2013, but it was clearly obvious that much of the info I was reading was written many years before that. For example, Mas goes on to criticize the Walther PPK as a poor choice for various reasons, that it can discharge when dropped and that the slide can slice into your hand or that it is unreliable with JHP's. It is obvious that his criticisms were written before the new improved models from Interarms and S&W came out, which addressed these issues, so this outdated info does a disservice to anyone considering buying one of these who didn't know any better. Ironically, the gun they use on the cover of the book is a man holding, you guessed it, the inferior Walther PPK! There are other examples of out-dated material found throughout this and other GD books I've read.

I don't have a problem with GD reissuing these things, as they have some good books and a lot of the material is still useful, but I wish they would give some kind of indication that one is buying a rehash of old material, not stating a copyright of 2013 with the original dates nowhere to be found in or outside the cover.
    Last edited by NRA1945; January 8th, 2014 at 01:02 AM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

So that's a mistake you won't make twice, right?

Gun Digest is not exactly the high point of American firearms literature. The basic Gun Digest is - and has always been - essentially a catalog that you pay for, with a small amount of editorial content. A lot, if not most, of their books are similar. They solicit input from a lot of prolific authors (like Ayoob) and the result is a compendium of text and photos you're likely seen before, presented in a new combination. There are some exceptions, such as new works by Grant Cunningham over the past couple of years. Grant is a gunsmith who specializes in wheelguns, and of late has gotten into both training and writing. We recently welcomed him as a new member here on DC.
    gatorbait51 and Blue Thunder like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    So that's a mistake you won't make twice, right?
    Not saying I would never buy another GD book, but I will make certain to view the content first as to it's relevance for today's needs.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yep - caveat emptor.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links