Defensive Carry banner

Book Review: Thank God I Had A Gun

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Arkie 
#1 ·
Thank God I Had A Gun. True Accounts of Self Defense. By Chris Bird. Privateer Publications. 2006. 307 pages. Softcover. $19.95. Sold by Borders & Amazon, or from the publisher at 1-888-700-4333.

Chris Bird is the author of the classic book The Concealed Handgun Manual, arguably the best book in print on the subject. In this book he has collected 14 true-life accounts of ordinary citizens who used firearms in defense of themselves or others.

Not all of the stories tell of an actual shooting. In chapters 1, 2, 3, 10 and 11, just the presence of a firearm saved the day. Chapter 1 recounts the rather remarkable conversion of an anti-gun person into a staunch NRA card carrying pro-gun advocate during and after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Chapters 3, 8, 10, 12 and 14 are accounts of women protecting themselves or their families with a gun.

One account, sadly, is not a success story for the good guys. Mark Wilson confronted a shooter armed with a semi-auto AK clone and wearing body armor in Tyler, Texas. Although Mark's actions were tactically sound, he was still shot to death. Read this tragic story in chapter 7.

Be prepared for a surprise ending to chapter 13. This is the story of an Indianapolis pizza delivery guy who fired 16 rounds at an armed robber, hitting him at least 10 times, who then left the scene of the shooting with the robber's gun and drove back to his Pizza Hut before calling police.

Robert Lawrence, of Tempe, Arizona, believed his life was in danger when he displayed, but did not fire, his pistol. His subsequent treatment by the justice system for exercising his rights was disgraceful. Robert's story is in chapter 11.

Arlington, Texas, resident Susan Buxton, in chapter 14, shot and wounded a burglar in her home. Her gun was seized by police and she was forced to hire an attorney to get it back, in a classic case of bureaucratic "pass the buck".

Other chapters detail incidents of grocery store hold-ups, a hotel room invasion, and an armed citizen who shot and captured a drug dealer, after the dealer shot & killed a Phoenix police officer.

This book is a must read, and well deserves a place on your book shelf. If you have a friend or relative who doesn't believe in owning a gun, ask them to read this book. If it doesn't change their mind, nothing will. Highly recommended.

5 :toilet:

See less See more
#6 ·
Just Bought It...

along with a dozen others...now I'll have to move it closer to the top of the pile...

ret

#7 ·
I'm reading that book now..I had to skim over the original post so that I wouldn't ruin the book.. :gah:

So far, very good book, and great stories.

#10 ·
A note about the pizza delivery guy: You would probably be surprised just how often delivery drivers simply go back to the store after being robbed, even if it's 10-15 minutes away. I've only once had a delivery driver pull a gun, and he was smart enough to stay put, but most of them aren't delivering pizzas to pay for the Mensa membership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.