1911 Reference Books

1911 Reference Books

This is a discussion on 1911 Reference Books within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up for Kindle a nice little book about the 1911 , an Engineer's perspective .Shot read but interesting . Went into why ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 1911 Reference Books

VIP Member

1911 Reference Books

I just picked up for Kindle a nice little book about the 1911 , an Engineer's perspective .Shot read but interesting . Went into why the 1911 to begin with. Compared it with two of its modern companions and was very even handed .

Now, I picked up three more in print :
    Godard's The Colt Government Model
    Kuleck's M1911 Owners guide and the Army's TM-9 for M1911 seies

I also noted but did not purchase Jerry Kuhnhausen's 1911 Shop manual seies, Poyer's Military and commercial and an AGI DVD on being a 1911 Armorer.

One other was a nice big book on the world's greatest pistola, el 0.38 Super ,but I could not quite stop choking on the $180.00 for the cheap one . There's one for over a grand, seriously.

Anyway, back to th' pernt , cap. Are these reasonable volumes? Are the Kuhnhausens good additions in the near future? Am I a scaredy cat for not tossing 180 bucks at a book?

Enquiring senile minds want to know. (Yes, I know it is not spelled correctly. Remember the ads? )
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Gator, one would almost think that you are interested in 1911's.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Gator, one would almost think that you are interested in 1911's.
    Me ? Nawwwwww..

Seriously, the kindle volume was the first I have run across that mentions a the plunger as an issue. Basically most mechanical failures with a 1911 involve the magazine. The plunger is a distant second. The primary issue is operator error. That kindle volume is written by a Mechanical Engineer who has nice things to say about the Glock 19 but is a bit less impressed with the larger caliber Glocks. He also seem to not be a Kimber fan.

Anyway, since both girls will be getting a 1911 as well as their normal carry, I thought the more I know or at least refresh, the better for all concerned.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    There's one for over a grand, seriously.
    Let me guess, Chuck Clawson's Colt .45 Service Pistols?
    Kuhnhausen's 1911 Shop manuals are a worthy addition to your library.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    No, the Clawson book is a mere $249.95. His one detailing the Super and the .22s runs a lowly $195.00 The one that's a grand is a volume of Colt Super .38 by Donald Sheldon. I almost choked when I saw that one.

I'll get the Kuhnhausen books after everything else is taken care of .

I think these look to be great for those of us who like our sidearm and want to make sure our descendants know them too

There are some that swear by the expensive book. I'm guessing that must be Clawson's out of print "big book". I wish I had one, but too pricey for me these days. I'd rather buy another 1911. I have one of his little books, lol. And truthfully I most often refer to Poyer's book. Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual is a good book. I use it once in a while. It's mostly over my head though. I think it is geared more towards machinists or guys making their own parts... or have expensive measuring equipment. But like I said, I refer to it once in a while.
    I wish someone would get some of these out of print books transferred to digital already. I'm sure that would open up a whole new market.

VIP Member
    Poyer's book is on my short list as well.

OD*
    No, the Clawson book is a mere $249.95. His one detailing the Super and the .22s runs a lowly $195.00 The one that's a grand is a volume of Colt Super .38 by Donald Sheldon. I almost choked when I saw that one.

I'll get the Kuhnhausen books after everything else is taken care of .

I think these look to be great for those of us who like our sidearm and want to make sure our descendants know them too
    Yeah, that's the small book, the good book (big book) are going for more than I thought, $1,899.33.
    Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Collector's guide to Colt .45 service pistols: Models of 1911 and 1911A1 : from 1911 to the end of production in 1945 : complete military identification, including all contractors
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Poyer's book is on my short list as well.
    Don't over look J.C. Harrison's "US Pistols & Revolvers 1909-1945."
    gatorbait51 and bmcgilvray like this.

VIP Member
    Yes, I choked on THAT one, too. For that price I can get two new latinas
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Don't over look J.C. Harrison's "US Pistols & Revolvers 1909-1945."
    That's on the Wishlist ,too

OD*
    Yes, I choked on THAT one, too. For that price I can get two new latinas
    Another way to look at it Dave, in todays M1911/M1911A1 market, that 1800 dollar investment could save an unknowing buyer multiple thousands.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    True that..
    OD* likes this.

Or Dave, you could just ask OD. From my experience he is a walking, talking, breathing, and sleeping 1911 guy. A wealth of information......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Or Dave, you could just ask OD. From my experience he is a walking, talking, breathing, and sleeping 1911 guy. A wealth of information......
    I thought of that . just can't drag him around . Don't think he'd fit in my pocket ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links